Tuesday 22 February 2022

Stargrave Data Vault



Hey all, so here's a  bit of scatter terrain and objective markers for today !
Stargrave enthusiasts here will surely know what this is all about but as many projects, this is a two birds with one stone thing again !

Now if you're familiar with Stargraven you might have found this page here :

Get that book HERE


So I needed 25 columns or data ports and had not the slightest idea of where to get them. Luckily, my good friend Axiom from Magpie and old lead found some perfect items (we sort of mutualised our sources for the numerous scenery and critters requirements) on eBay and I got the very same as he did.



Now 25 pieces of scenery isn't exactly the most exciting thing to paint right ? So I wanted something quick, easy and effective !
But how did I want them to be ? Well, like always, my tastes are solidly rooted in the old Fallout games so I wanted my terminals to look like they could have been pulled from a Vault (Data Vault, Vault, you get it).
So desaturated colours, worn off, ridiculously old tech that somehow takes you to the moon, that sort of thing.


In the end, I just ended giving the whole a zenithal spray of white over black for some preshading, a heavy drybrush of white to pick all the edges and then gave a light glazy wash of either light blue, light brown or german green to keep things desaturated with the transparency and then picked the details.
A light wash of brown over all the front panels to give some contrast, a bit of weathering and a few highlights and screen marking and I was done, it was like 3-4 hours spread over days for the whole tops so pretty efficient, I hesitated painting the screens but it only took me half an hour to do them all and give them a bit more life although the dead tech aspect would have looked cool too.

Just a bit of varnish on top et voilà !


I'm eager to play this scenario now !


I have plenty on the desk and am focusing on clearing it, everything you've seen painted this year was waiting on the desk so expect a bit more desk cleaning before the big projects !
Happy painting you all !

17 comments:

  1. Wow, those look great and the size is perfect, leaving just enough room to peek over the top (and to take the subsequent headshot) !

    May I ask where you've found them/what keyword did you use ?

    Cheers,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers ! All dredits to Axiom for finding those ! They come from the ebay seller Actualsizeminiatures !

      Delete
    2. Thanks ! Kudos to Axiom then :)
      These "oldputers" are a great find and your paintjob really makes them... erm.. "shine" !

      Delete
  2. They look great! I particularly like those displays. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice simple sculpts that look great with your scheme choices.

    Interesting that the scenario would have them spread out so far apart tho? Would be more typical to see them in "banks" no?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're spread even further in the scenario than here but the goal is to retrieve data from the central Terminal by moving it one at a time without being fried by the nearby units and the opponent !

      Delete
  4. That's nice! You made such a repetitive work look interesting. Nice stuff indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It honestly didn't feel that repetitive, I had 8/9 of each type and broke the painting into easy brainless steps.
      Thanks !

      Delete
  5. Great work on these: the grey-greens are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers ! It somehow couldn't be any other colour than those !

      Delete
  6. First moment I saw the pic I thought: FALLOUT!
    So cool stuff!
    Might borrow the idea for the next photo background I hope to prepare soon 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew it already jut you have proper taste !

      Delete
  7. I can't believe you got those terminals looking so great at such a high speed of painting. Awesome stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used exclusively fast and easy techniques, the most careful steps were painting the lights and the signs on the screens, rest was just big easy moves. :)

      Delete
  8. Size-wise they look spot on. And great work too painting all those details into them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, it wasn't as tiresome as I expected I must say !

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...