Monday 7 March 2022

40k 2nd edition Ogryns


Hey everyone ! So what's the subject today ? Well you've seen the preview, Perry Ogryns ! 
Following my pattern to paint something for my ork force (totally not an army) eevry other project, I felt a sudden urge to get something meatier, bulkier for da boyz. 
I then found this guy in the leadpile and the idea poped right away ! I needed ogryns !


Now I'm a huge fan of Bob Olley's work, it's always a pleasure to paint his work, it has a real relaxation quality once you let things go and just follow the sculpt instead of fighting it.
But as much as I love Bob's work, something didn't sit well for me using this guy. My ork force is somehow the sort of project I would have loved to see done at a specific time in 40k and while anything from Kev Adams can go in, I'm very picky about what other sculptors I'd let in on this project. I already have some Perry orks planned but Bob's style is somehow grittier than the goofier (and I mean that in the best way) I want my orks to have.

And Michael Perry's ogryns had just that. Even better, while looking for some with as many different parts as possible, a dear friend of mine found a stash with several of them he sent some my way like the hero he is.
Now to tie them with the arm... I mean force, I didn't want to drown them in yellow and red and wanted them to be slightly apart so I kept the same sort of denim trousers for them, went free on tops (for those wearing one) and gave them each some medals with a red ogryn skull on a yellow coin to show their badge of acceptance, like they earned their place in the team.


Funnily enough, one of the ogryns was one I had painted about 20 years ago when Inquisitor was released and I wanted a squat adventurer in 54mm. You can see the obsession for hair and in hindsight I think the conversion was pretty cool and the painting acceptable !


Now of course I had to chek for other ogryns I've painted and remembered my Blueshitsu enslaved ogryn, a completely different project altogether. I do realise I'm reaching a point where I'm happy with my former paintings which is nice, not in a vain self congratulating way but grateful one more.


I'll be honest, one of the big appeal of the ork army is the absolutely silly array of candidates in forms and sizes you can pick from. I've just selected one of each types here to show what I mean, from the tiniest squig to the ogryns (and then dreadnought and so on), you can pick so much fun stuff.
Painting orks is putting me in a good hobby mood everytime now.
I hope you folks find your happy painting place as well and wish you good painting !



17 comments:

  1. I'll be honest, one of the big appeal of the ork army is the absolutely silly array of candidates in forms and sizes you can pick from

    Absolutely. The chaos (small c) of the orks is their best feature, and yours capture thaat chaos (small c) very well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, that's why I intend to do as many entries of the list as I can to squeeze all the fun out of this project !

      Delete
  2. They are very cool models, and what a superb paint job. I really like the subtle tie-ins to the main ork force. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ! They're indeed great models, I was happy to find the perfect spot to use to tie them with the rest !

      Delete
  3. It is always cool reading the feelings about it, how you decide something or just turned your mind depending on the model/sculptor/motivation, really good stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ! It's what I like the most about this hobby, how we all make choices faced with a miniature and seeing the infinite number of outcomes !

      Delete
  4. Absolutely magical. I really like how restrained you were with your Ork colours, the finished squad look really brutal in a way they couldn't with bright yellow trews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ! I'm glad you noticed that, it was essential for me to convey that mercenary look with still some form of validation, it's also why I needed the sculpts to match Kev's style and opted for Michael's ogryns instead of Bob's.

      Delete
  5. These are sweet. The minis themselves are ace, of course, but your paintjob makes them stand out. I love the skin tones and how you made them look coherent with the greenskins. Bravo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ! I'm glad a lot of people pention the skintones since it's one of the parts I was the mos careful with !

      Delete
  6. Great take on some classic and very fun minis.

    Love that they all have very distinctively different skin tones and personalities. May they crush skulls aplenty on the tabletop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ! I really wanted them three to look different, like mercenaries from different places in the galaxy.

      Delete
  7. Skin tones, clothing texture, weapons, etc. Everything you painted here looks so spot on and brilliant both in color scheme and execution. Great work :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super inspiring stuff, thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...