Thursday 10 February 2022

Rogue Psykers - Blackstone Fortress



So it might seem I'm on a good roll painting wise and I am, there's also the fact I'm running out of space in my desk and decided to finish all the works in progress and that means a very fast output since more than half the work was done in most cases (it also explains the meager output a few months ago).
But hey, this is not about numbers (not entirely) but what we do and I'm back on Blackstone Fortress !
Having failed my self imposed deadline of finishing the corebox in 2021, I'm not setting any date but I want it out of the way the sooner I can !

Now I had picked the two rogue psykers because they're just 2 and really great models.
I've said it several times but although some of the models are a bit samey samey, I think the ones with variants have some of the best ingenuity displayed in a while, the beastmen are a wonder of design, and the two rogue psykers are brilliant too. 
The two models share the exact same body and with just the torsos differing and the angle of the head changing, they managed to change the golden angle from one to the other so that they look 100% different despite being 50% the same if you see what I mean.

The main feature of the sculpts is their overgrown head and I didn't want to miss it. it reminds me a lot of the result of the experiments in the 5th power (one of Juan Gimenez's gold nuggets) :

From Juan Gimenez's "the 5th Power"

So I tried to get inspiration from it and started with my own twist of the verdacio with a "brownacio ?", anyway, using the zenithal highlight from the priming stage, I blended the shadows and lights with a controlled brown wash and then glazed a skin tone (a pinkish one on one and a more sandy one on the other) which I fixed a bot more with controlled washes and a few highlights, the aim here was to give a lot of contrast between the undersides of the shapes and the brightness at the top to avoid a "big balloon" effect, I also added a bit of variations with reddish glazes and although I didn't spend muchtime trying to achieve top blending or smoothness, I'm actually happy with how it turned out for the time spent.

Now while I was at it, I also had 4 spindle drones on the table and while I had already painted the 4 from the box, those were so cheap in the 2nd hand section of the flgs I just couldn't let them go so here are another 4 drones for my dark sheppards !

And let's face it, 8 of them feels less petty than just 4, I like the new ones better, just as rushed but more controlled, it does give a bit of variation in the mix and still time efficient for the hour spent or so !

Hope you folks all feel good in your hobby, let it take you by the hand if you don't, it's a friend to walk with, not a foe you have to run after :)



 

8 comments:

  1. These are looking good. I'm itching to see a shot of everything you've done for BSF so far together. Please please please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These two are I think my fav two sculpts of the badguys in the base set. I think you gave them a really cool “Akira” feel.
    I got a third one and added bits and an icon or two to him so he will be a second Magus for my Chaos GSC collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll happily take Akira ! It is a major inspiration although unconscious in this case I guess.
      So far, there's isn't one model in that box I didn't end up liking after painting it, even the ones that left me cold when I first saw them.

      Delete
  3. First thing I noticed as I opened the post was the skin tones on the heads. Awesome results, and that goes for the drones too, I love them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mec !
      The drones were very rapid jobs tbh but it's nice having another 4 models in the bank, I just need to pull up the sleeves for the cultists !

      Delete
  4. I am with Suber ... that skin tone on the heads. Great job on everything else too :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...