Wednesday 2 February 2022

Fantasy dwarf band


Ever since my last Mordheim campaign, I knew I wanted to build a dwarf band. But you probably know how life gets in the way and this project somehow got postponed for about 5 years, yikes !
that does mean I was able to add a few models I deemed worthy to my selection and it was a very satisfying moment to finally scratch all those off the list !
Now what really put me on the saddle was to get some samples of Bood wargames's most excellent range, sculpted by John Pickford to match the older ranges.
So amongst the few candidates, I simply couldn't resist those guys mounted on ponies, I have no idea what use I can make of them in Mordheim but Rangers of shadow deep or other settings might have just the need for them !


I know it's a classic move but I also couldn't resist getting a foot version of my boss, I should say a mounted version of him really since I beleive I'll get more use out of the foot version. I just had to though.


So here are the lord and 3 warriors, with shield and hand weapon, I've opted for something even more desaturated and muted palette than usual.


Having played against dwarves a fair few times in Mordheim, I know shooters are essentials so a  few  Crossbows should give me some proper firepower with a young one getting drunk.


Now to give a bit of flavour to the band, I've added a slayer, a halfling cook, a gnome adventurer and a thief, from the old citadel ranges and from the Foundry, lovely miniatures all really.

And here we are, 15 models, I do have another 3 in mind to make the band fully Mordheim operational and Frostgrave compatible though and this should have my Dwarf  itch fully scratched.
I couldn't have gone further from Orks than dwarves but here we are, their small size and painter friendly features (mail and beard being 98% of the models), it was very refreshing to have them done real quick.



25 comments:

  1. This is left field for you! I can see the love you've poured into that Halfling, picking out the details of the sandwich. Lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really loved this little guy, his face is totes adorbz and the whole model has just that right balance of detail.

      Delete
  2. Those are nice! They go really well with the old Citadel dwarves. I particularly like the pony riders. That's a nice warband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be adding a couple more from the old ranges and they're definitely fitting in, thanks !

      Delete
  3. Am absolutely loving those muted greens! What a great colour scheme and wow, those sculpts! I need dwarves in my fantasy collection badly and I think Bood just got my business for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a first for me but I knew pretty early on what I was aiming for with them

      Delete
  4. Fantastic warband JB. Really love the more muted colour scheme - I can envisage them searching for treasures in ruins wreathed in mist. Great figure selection too, the thief in particular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, the mordheim dwarves are treasure hunters so I wanted a bit of that and to channel a strong medieval feel on them, glad you guys approve, thanks !

      Delete
  5. I don't think I've ever seen a Dwarf warband in these colours. Being used to the classical, gaudy fantasy schemes, this one is kind of fresh air. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a twist of Wayne England's though in hindsight !
      Thanks mec

      Delete
  6. Absolutely brilliant! These colors just evoke a feeling of realism that one rarely sees on miniatures like this. Brilliant indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you say that, it was the aim from the start !

      Delete
  7. More than awesome!
    Beautiful dwarfs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ! I'm definitely glad to have a band of them now !

      Delete
  8. Great work on this warband. I particularly like the coloring. The greens look great with the red beards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I wanted something more natural and soft but that would make the faces and beards stand so opted for cold desaturated tones !

      Delete
  9. Nice! that greenish palette makes them look fittingly weary for people adventuring in the city of the damned. I particularly like the Slayer whose beards and hair natural colour start to appear again as the orange blend is going away through time (or at least that's how i interpreted it)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mec, I wanted to show the slayer doesn't go to the hairdresser every week !

      Delete
    2. wonder if it would be more or less expensive than a black lotus fix in Mordheum....

      Delete
  10. While I'm not much of a dwarf minis fan, I cannot help but be impressed with your detailed paint work here. So much character!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's taken me years to do them since I never was into dwarves, but I have to say painting some has changed my mind about them really, they're extremely painter friendly !
      Thanks !

      Delete
  11. Hey Asslessman! Are the crossbows from Bood too? I couldn't find them on their website! Really lovely figures - it's inspired me hugely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup they are, I got them a while back so it's worth shooting him a pm I guess

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...