Thursday 15 June 2023

Ratmen by Maraud Miniatures

 

Hey all ! After painting the Dark Goblins and the Troll by Maraud Miniatures, I've finally painted the evil ratmen ! Like for the other models, the sculpts are done by the excellent Alexandre Vallet with sketches from Sceptik le Sloucheur.


I really love how the range spans a lot of sizes, shapes and styles with those, it totally fits how I see Skaven and Ratmen more generally, the first here is a very Ratatouillesque Halbardier



Maybe that's something french in me but I love this guy covered in kitchen tools and the strainer for a helmet ! Painting wise, I've tried to keep the colours as natural as possible and looked at photos of rats to make them look realistic.


The ratman with blunderbuss is the first I got way back at the very start of the project, I like that he's in a reloading position rather than shooting.


Now, what I believe is an assassin here is a little different from the classic Eshin Ninja assassins we get is a more Bayou dwelling ratman with a Crocodile (or LIzardman ?) head and skin but with still a very stealthy/menacing stance.



Next is the Moulder clan associate with the typical weirdstone parts and bronze tank full of  horrible  corrupted fluids. I've chosen to paint him with a pale tone, his skin bleached by the chemicals is exposed to and his left eye has been replaced by weirdstone.


Now from the very start, the ratmole ogre has been my very favourite, I simply love everything about him, his defying pose, his warhammer resting on the shoulder, his big frame and general swag, he's brilliant and I had a tremendous fun painting him !


Finally, here's the Giant Rat-ogre, I've got to say he was a little impressive and I wasn't sure what I was going to do with all those huge areas of flesh but as I was painting it, it really grew on me and I loved spending time on it and giving it uances. The skin is based on a sort of Verdaccio in blue (Bluedaccio ?) and some glazes all over to break the monotony, like often, photos do kill some of the nuances but I'm very pleased with how it looks in hand. If you look, there aren't many textures going so I wanted to get every of them right, I know the off white bandages over a  light skin were a risk but I reckon it's still easy to read.
And let's face it, just the size of him is impressive and he will tower over most models on a table top.



So here we go, I'm really glad I have those done finally and I can say I've painted every model of a company now !!!
I'm at 97 models painted since January so my goal is to have at least another 3 done by the end of the month, stupid goals like these motivate me a lot and I'm still on a journey to clear my desk of any half painted model !

Check out the ratmen fighting the goblins and you can check Maraud Miniatures' facebook page for news !




13 comments:

  1. This is an awesome bunch of ratmen! Full of character, and pulled together by your always great pallet choices. Your weathering really brings that from the sewer look to life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went very Froud (again) on those, I sometimes wonder if I don't desaturate things too much but that's something I like in Fantasy models, thanks !

      Delete
  2. Le rat ogre est mon préféré. Tes couleurs marchent super bien sur cette bande. Bien joué !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci ! Le rat-taupe est une vraie pépite, je l'adore mais j'avoue que le rat-ogre qui m'intimidait au départ m'a vraiment conquis lors de la peinture.

      Delete
  3. Stunning work! I love the individuality of each one, but they still mesh together as a cohesive group. Very nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, great models help painters a lot ! I was worried they would look too different at the start but I reckon they tie together just enough in the end !

      Delete
  4. Beautiful work and those sculpts are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They're very nice models - definitely skaven but an interesting take on the concept. What is that slightly greenish beige you use on some of your models, like the rat ogre? It works very well on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ! The greenish beige I used on the rat-ogre's bandages or the moulder's skin is Stone grey from Prince August, one of my favourite colours, I use it everywhere I need whites and I also use it a lot to ligten up colours for highlights, thus desaturating them. The greenish hue complements the reds I like to use very well and in this case the more burgundy glazes on the skin (which in this case was Kehmri brown for the rat ogre).

      Delete
  6. I really love your version of these minis ! And that's very nice of you to put Sceptik designs as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I try to credit artists as much as I can !

      Delete
  7. Wow! These minis look outstanding. Incredible work a-man!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...