Tuesday 31 October 2023

#dressawilly the painting challenge from TheStillTower !

Hey all ! With the end or Orctober, I wanted to take the opportunity to post these guys which have a bit of relevance with the topic. A while ago, thestilltower (check his Instagram HERE) launched a painting challenge around a dolly he made of Willy... which participants had to dress, hence #dressawilly, get it ?

Like usually, I was immediately taken by the idea then got submerged by a trillion more ideas and 6 months later finally came around and did what I had to do !


It's a lovely sculpt and although I'm not great with Putty, I had to do it honor. I knew right away I didn't want a model with weapons and the free willy on Willy conveyed an idea of freedom so I went for a subject dear to my heart : metal. It seems like painting metalheads is a happy place for me so after painting an ork metal band a while ago, I somehow had to have a fan for them !


You can appreciate in detail below the mediocrity of my sculpting in the picture below, bit of a shame with the dolly I had but i was happy to use the helmet trim as a head band !


Now he looks super hapy with his favourite musician, let's just hope he even remembers meeting them !

Now along the dolly, I had the chance to get 2 variants so I tried to play a game of "variations on a theme" and paint them in different styles !
With the style of the guy, I knew I had to paint one in a grimdarkstyle to really make a contrast with the other 2, he might actually be my favourite of the 3 !


Now the third one left me abslutely no choice ! being an obvious nod to the monopose gretchin from the 2nd ed 40k starter set, I just had to paint him according to my ork scheme !


Now one BIG surprise and something I wish more people did with casting vents is THIS :


I think Ramshackle are the first I saw doing that but I seriously wish every resin caster did that, not only does it save resin from getting into dumps, it's also such a little bonus when getting a model ! I was almost as happy to get those extra scatter bits as the models themselves !


 Little pieces like that take no time and when you get a handful on a table, it immediately takes it up a notch for immersion !

Anyway, hops you folks liked those, my painting schedule is starting to get packed from my over comitment/enthusiasm !
Happy painting all !

8 comments:

  1. The Willys all look great!

    Love the metalhead and the other two are just fun. Nicely done sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got to say I love being complimented on my Willy. Thanks mec.

      Delete
  2. Those extra bits are awesome. I agree, more companies should do that also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a huge return on effort I reckon, I wish the good word gets spread !

      Delete
  3. Haha, Heavy Willy turned out good, it's quite an inspired conversion! However, I can tell why you like the second iteration the most, it's clearly the most recognisable, in your so personal style. Cool job on all of them!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That came out unclear but it's the grimdark one I loved the best actually, the second one was indeed a no brainer with the usual colours I paint orks in so he felt like family !

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...