Thursday 16 November 2023

BOYL exclusive Necromancer by Bob Olley


Hey all ! I'm in the middle of a stupid number of projects at the moment but I wanted to clear a few items rapidly lately. One of which is going through my BOYL exclusives and getting them all painted to show some gratitude ! Amongst the ones I hadn't painted, there was this Necromancer by the incredible Bob Olley from BOYL 2022 (iirc).
I'm a huge fan of Bob Olley's unique style, I've painted quite a few of his models now and it's always a very peculiar pleasure to work on his models. Of course, his style has evolved over time but there are some characteristics you find throughout his career which can often frighten people who haven't painted any of his work, until they have, it's the Bob Olley effect, reserve all judgment until you've painted one and you "get" it afterwards.


Painting wise, I went for a very classic look with a rich scarlet robe to give him some stature, a black beard to avoid making him look like evil Santa and some brass decorations, pretty easy, just looking to get some fine colours that would have him fit with the rest of my undead.


I didn't weather or stain his clothes because I wanted hime to be doing more advanced lab-like necromancy rather than the groundwork shovelling kind if you see what I mean, he's more a book worm than a crypt explorer.


So that makes me down to 2 boyl miniatures left to paint, one of which is finished as we speak and the last is well underway. I'll finally be able to claime I have a fully painted collection of BOYL models soon !
Of course I couldn't help but take a photo of all the fantasy BOYL exclusives (and the french event chaos dwarf as well for good measures)



Happy painting to you all !




14 comments:

  1. Mec, that's quite the crowd of fantastic fantasy friends - and your work on those red robes is lush. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE a Bob Olley sculpt. He came out great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's perfect JB! Really great colour choice on the robe - the red is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an easy choice to match the others but it works well on him !

      Delete
  4. He looks outstanding, lovely red robes and great skin tones. I find I can never decide if I like his style, but then every model of his I have owned I've really enjoyed painting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the Bob Olley effect ! I didn't like his sculpts before painting some, now I have yet to find one I didn't enjoy !

      Delete
  5. So lovely. It has that indefinable quality that immediately turns it into a classic. Cool job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great colour choices on a lovely fig. Though now I wish you had a 2nd copy so you could go with that "evil santa" look. :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Somewhere between Ming the Merciless, Tim the Enchanter and Excalibur's Merlin is this guy! He looks great. Really nice shading on the robes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hadn't really thought about it but there's definitely a bit of all of those !

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...