Thursday 11 March 2021

Chaos Space Marine Librarian


Alrights folks, so an unexpected one today ! There's been a painting challenge on the Oldhammer FB page and the theme is #justthetwoofus, so basically paint a pair of models that have a connection of some kind.
It only took a few seconds for me to realise this could be the opportunity to cross another item off the Realm of Chaos army list so I picked this guy :

And obviously I had to give him a familiar because well... Realm of Chaos ! So I picked a Tzeentch sorcerer I had a double of and a carion rider because I love how they look cute and sinister at once.


Working on that, I tried a few head options with the benevolent help of my friends which lead me to picking the most vertical and imposing head. To be honest, the conversion work is a little more sloppy than I would have liked, I wasn't paying attention I guess, too late for putty pushing... Anyway.
The familiar's floating device is actually the first model I use a real coin on, it's always felt sacrilegious and somehow illegal but here you go !


Painting wise, I decided I wanted both models to wear an off white cloak so that they'd stand from the tide of black all around, I've kept blacl parts and firy red ones to ties them in though.

I'm slowly completing a larger choice of characters, the aim being to have several if not all covered. This also gives me some breathing between squads and larger pieces.


I was meant to paint something for BSF after the epic army but this got in the way, the next post will fix that though do not worry ! Painting mojo is good at the moment with plenty of fun projects on the go so hopefully this will result in good models !

28 comments:

  1. I think this is one of the most successful of your chaos old+new splicing projects. The added plastic elements fit perfectly and maintain that impressive stance and arrogant character. I do very much like the pale robes in contrast to ths test of the renegades, but it's nice to see hints of his armour underneath with the pads and backpack. The familiar is great - a really malevolent but cute addition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be fair, it's probably the one I'm least happy with, something doesn't tick which I can't put my finger on. I do have a fondness for the familiar which turned out exactly how I wanted it !

      Delete
    2. I agree. I assumed that was just the original head on the model at first.

      Delete
  2. Seriously in all respects awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good work! I like the incorporation of the Admech arm and head. They fit the robed body very well. The red chaos arrows on the road work nicely too. I've got a couple of those carrion riders somewhere - I really ought to do something with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ! I have a few other carion riders and now I mean to tie them all to that project !

      Delete
  4. Fantastic conversion work on the Chaos chap!

    The off white of the Librarian is really great and I was wondering what the recipe is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The base is PA stone grey with a thinned down wash of agrax then highlighted up with stone grey up to ivory white

      Delete
  5. I was really trying to identify this model at first. Then I saw the conversion pics. So yeah, "sloppy" my fat hairy rump. He looks amazing mate and the colours scheme is a smashing way to make him stand out from the crowd, yet still belong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're al lour harshest critic I guess ! Thanks !

      Delete
  6. Very cool, I love that deep dive into the old Slaves To Darkness material you're doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's fun trying to come up with ideas for every entry ! Thanks !

      Delete
  7. Belle conversion, originale et très efficace. Ca marche toujours bien avec une base J. Goodwin :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci, je compte faire les autres persos comme çà pour lier un peu le style et puis il y a du chemin alors autant coller des persos qui changent un peu d'ici de là.
      merci mec !

      Delete
  8. Great conversion, and a fantastic paint job. I'm really astounded how you can take a model like the original, and add a few bits to really make it look like it's always been a chaos marine. The little details of the paint job help it to pop. Great work Asslessman!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the fact Jes sculpted that champion and most likely designed or at least sketched/inspired the admech concept helps tremendously here.
      There are a couple of points I wish I had done better but he's a keeper !

      Delete
  9. Everything about this is bloody awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm an eternal unsatisfied so a couple of things bug me but overall he's fine enough ! Thanks !

      Delete
  10. I never really thought about Chaos Marines having librarians, but I suppose they would. They are religious fanatics, and I guess religious fanatics have to have texts to go by. This is a cool, cool pair of figures and you should be proud of both the conversion work and the painting. As for the scratch built floating platform (nice), as a 15mm painter I had to laugh at your reluctance to use coins. Every single one of my 15mm figures is based on one :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems odd right ? Just not a habit for me I guess ! I think the realm of chaos books come with a load of little niche concepts like that to dig in and have fun with !

      Delete
  11. Pretty interesting job, I like the way you envisioned the final result and how it all turned out. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The hood first really surprised me but that's awesome how you mixed old and new !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been enjoying those sort of conversions for ages, I just cannot stop !

      Delete
  13. Great addition to an already excellent cast. The reds are just right i.e. not too bright but enough to bring out the muted greens. Fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ! The slight greenish tint of the off white is enough to offset deep reds I find, I love it.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...