Wednesday 5 July 2023

Chaos Dreadfiler


In the line of  models I've had half painted on my desk for way to long, this one was the biggest. I've started it in October 2022 and although the conversion process went fast and the painting start as well, I somehow stalled and moved onto several other projects like usual !
But I'm firmly keeping my pace on unfinished paintjobs and I had decided this one was next !
The conversion is based on a chaod Dreadnought resculpt by Drew Williams which was kindly donated to me. The model is supposed to be truescale with renegades making it considerably bigger than the original dreadnaughts I love.

So a (seemingly) clever plan arose in my mind to modify it into something else and why not tick another entry so I went looking for some legs and found the admech dunecrawler to be the absolutely perfect donor ! I just had to give it some alternate weapons and head from a Hellbrute (previously dreadnaught) and I had something cool, tying with the old aesthetics !


Painting wise, I used the same recipes I've used on most of my renegades to give that feeling of really old worn out armour and organic feel but I added some more organic parts with bowel like tubes and such everywhere which was quite fun to do ! I'm not easily grossed out but there was a point where even I had to stop because it was just disgusting !

I really like how the heavy Melta ended up with the fusion of  flesh and weapon and the inner fire !



Of course I couldn't resist taking a picture of the Dreadfiler (that's got to be its name from now on) with his tiny brothers ! They feel so tiny and cute in comparison !

I'm not a 40k player anymore so I have no idea how this is going to be used in the future, I guess some models are just gratuitous fun ! There might be some potential for Xenos Rampant though which I'm keen on trying !

Anyway, it's a fun model and a nice itch I got scratched, plus he leaves A LOT of space on the desk now and it's officially my 100th model of the year just at 6 months so hopeful yet another 100 for the rest !



 

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, I had fun with it despite some hair pulling now and then !

      Delete
  2. For your 100th of the year you've certainly outdone yourself with this one JB!

    It really is a disturbing creation. I think that weird blood red mouth/face thing does it for me. Very nasty, very chaos and I dearly wish the best for whomever it ends up facing on the battlefield!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted disturbing and menacing, it seems both are ticked off !

      Delete
  3. This is one of those projects where I think 'I wish I'd thought of it'! I love the concept and the execution. It's a very clever way of using the larger scale dreadnought torso that doesn't look out of place against the originals. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nico did pull one earlier but it was definitely a "wish I had finished it earlier" for me !
      thanks !

      Delete
  4. Oh, wow, this one is awesome. Terrific work! I would have loved to see some WIP pics, but the results speak by themselves anyway. So cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know ! Sorry about that ! I changed phone between start and finish and lost some WIP pics of it but it would have been intersting to show how I painfully blended one model into the other !

      Delete
  5. my god this is completely insane and awesome. i cannot find a word to describe it..
    its like a brood mother with her children going out to hunt and feast on some unlucky victim.
    great job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny how the classic creads don't feel as scary in contrast !

      Delete
  6. Lovely drab muted filthy tones and bright melta glow. The old chaos dread was always a great design to my eyes, your dreadfiler creation is superb, captured that old warped madness with a seamless merge of new corrupted machines or war. The only sadness it brings me is I won't be able to buy a model of this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ! It's not that complicated and it doesn't require tremendous putty skills since the textures are mostly organic, I'm glad people enjoy the balance of biomechanical parts on this one !

      Delete
  7. Gods what a monster! An impressive looking model to lead the heavies. Great to see the 3 of them together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is a big boi indeed, I like to have a range of all sizes in the army to make it more chaotic, I've had a Forgefiend for a while now and this might be the perfect excuse now !

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...