Thursday 6 April 2023

Rogue Trader Mercenaries and Pirates

Hey all, so I have a Stargrave campaign coming so it was time to dust off the band I had designed for the game some time ago. Looking at the troop choices, I realised I didn't have much choice in terms of weapons so sinc everyone else was painting their bands, I felt compeled to painting some more. Since the whole crew was built on Rogue Trader classics, I had little choice but to exapand with other Rogue Trader classics. So I decided to scratch an old itch and get some mercenaries and pirates done, giving me more carbines and big guns to pick from (I'd still only be able to pick 10 anyway)

So the first two were a couple of pirates, they're an odd bunch with weird hairdos and poses, showing they spend a lot of time and energy on how they look.

Picture from Solegends

I decided to keep my colour scheme but to give them more striking hair colours to make them stand out and be faithful to their original style. I got to say the models were not the crispest I've had in hand and they were a little frustrating (or maybe I'm not used to RT models, I don't know).


Another pair are Mercenaries, I've already painted some a long time ago so it felt fun to go back on them. Once again, the very nuggety nature of them means I didn't push myself much if I'm being honest. One detail I had forgotten despite painting Old world Jack (who's just a variant of Catachan Luke below) ids that their eyes are extremely large. I had avoided the issue then by mainting them metallic like he's wearing special lenses (which are an item you see in a Tony Hough illustration), but go figure why, I forgot about it and just painted them like normal eyes only to realise it looked really bad so I'm gonna fix that with some silver paint later (honest).

Picture from Solegends




The last of the bunch is the machine gun chainsaw warrior :

Picture from Solegends

It's the only one of the three I own and I thought he would be perfect to represent a gunner (if I feel like picking one) in my crew :


Now with all the options I have, I really just need to pick the best selection meaning the one that looks the coolest but that also give me some opportunities (I'm not exactly a great player so any plans will fall in the sewers in the first minute of the game anyway).



12 comments:

  1. It's nice to see some old sculpts see the light of day and get a well deserved paint job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're really the product of their time, it's like putting an old album on really !

      Delete
  2. Mighty fine looking band! I really love the way your muted pallette does let elements like the laser sword jump out the picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I like to use saturation contrasts to make what I want to stand pop up

      Delete
  3. Great to see the figures I've only seen in the book of the astronomican appear 'in the wild'. I find one of my grievances with a bunch of the old sculpts is how hunched over/down looking they are. Straighten your back men! Heart to the Sun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right ! Bit like the beakies, looks like the 80's were the time to work on your quadriceps !

      Delete
  4. Nice additions! The Chainsaw Warrior bloke is my fav of the bunch and reminds me I have those sculpts in my backlog somewhere...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might have the missile launche rone somewhere, they're the kind I forget about until the right occasion appears.

      Delete
  5. I can undestand your struggle, but you not only succeeded at painting these guys magnificently -you also managed to take great pics of them! Finding the golden angles on them is even more difficult!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The golden angle might be from below to actually see their face !

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...