Wednesday 20 February 2019

Designing a Realm of Chaos Renegade Warband

 
So, following on Jon's trail, here I am trying to come up with a renegade warband for a Realm of Chaos game using the old tomes for a mini campaign at warhammer world this summer. Now  most people are familiar with the charts and their silly results but sometimes the rolls can be suprising.

Some of the usual suspects likely to be involved



The campaign implies for us to each have a renegade and 4 rolls on the followers table.

Now a renegade warband should always begin with rolling a renegade first so here's what's coming :






Unsurpisingly, I rolled a human but I got lucky and rolled a 62, meaning a Major Hero so that's quite a nice start !
Now I didn't want to dedicate my band to a specific god (perhaps he's into renegade gods like Malal or Zuvassin) so I rolled two  rewards instead of a reward and a gift, getting a 51 and a 69 :


So my major hero has quite some punch !

For our campaign , we've decided we'd get two rolls on the attribute chart so I rolled and got 587 and 759 :


 

I have to say I kinda wanted to get some more "cosmetic" mutations like extra limbs or that sort of thing but this left me with free hands to do anything I wanted (plus it would make my life easier in game since I'm not exactly a good player...)

Now to roll my equipment, I had to get in the mess that Rogue Trader is but I eventually ended up with a laspistol, a graviton gun and a chainsword which is pretty cool. I really hope someone is flying (Rochie's champ might be a candidate) or that I can freeze another champ  to execute him (papafakis' champ looks like the best candidate so far)

So after that, I had 4 rolls on the followers charts :





So that means :

- 6 Coven members
- 7 orks
- 8 squats

- 8 Beastmen
I won't roll for equipment but will just use what the models are carrying, I do have to keeep in mind that each squad above 5 head strong can have a heavy weapon ^^
The worrying part of tis is that I have plenty of semi shitty models to paint, I wish I had rolled an ogryn or some cool character but I find it a good exercise to work with constraints so kept with the rolls I had.

Now onto models !
My renegade had to be based on a Goodwin champion so to make him a bit more fittig in a 40k setting I've decided to merge him with a damaged scavvie I had around. Now the first dryfit looked pretty cool but waaaay too blend for a chaos leader so I decided to extend the legs, change his right arm for a bigger one (he does have added strength) to give a slightly awkward and disconcerting look to him. I will probably tweak and change a couple of things on him before painting him but here's the base for now :




For the squats, it's quite an easy job, I only have to pick those I want from the ones I painted before :

 As for the Coven members, I'm really tempted to just use these :

I do have the Dark Vengeance cultists and the Blackstone fortress cultists to paint as well so time will tell if I do more regular cultists or just use those. It's nice to have a back-up plan though.


The orks will most likely be one piece orks I find in my leadpile and the kind you'd find in the blue catalogue (thanks to Solegends) :


For the Beastmen, I have the four from Black Stone Fortress and plan on converting some old ones to make the required number :





This means I have plenty on my plate to paint but there's the prospect of playing some seriously fun and cool looking campaign with people I love in a great venue so things looks pretty cool don't they ?

As for now, I'm still working in the shadows but I should soon have plenty to show !

8 comments:

  1. Great stuff JB, I like your Renegade. Your process seems very straight forward. Are you going to roll dominant attributes for your Followers? I can't remember what Whiskey Priest said about that. I recall Axiom rolling them for his followers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, I won't roll them for the squats or the cultists if I end up using them and will just go with what the models have. We've decided they're not mandatory but add flavour.
      I might roll some for the orks and beastmen although I'd like to make the band generic.

      Delete
  2. Exciting times in the creation of this warband. I can't wait to see your renegade finished, and all the new additions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm eager to finish him as well and work on the rest of the crew !

      Delete
  3. Wow this is so fun! Did you guys roll up all of this stuff together at a table? I can imagine that would be a serious romp. Very cool Champion! It seems like he rolled up some incredibly powerful abilities, especially that regeneration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We actually rolled that on online sites via messenger or FB because we all live far from each other and probably won't see each other before this summer but that surely was a fun process !
      I have to say although I didn't want to roll too many models to paint, I did roll a pretty tough champion so won't be complaining ! ^^

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...