Friday 15 March 2024

Eldar Wraithguards

Hey all, so continuing on my Eldar journey, I've finally started to paint more than just characters and got the Wraithguards I was supposed to paint last month. With the colours now settled I could get a little straight to the point.

The Wraithguards have always been firm favourites, absolutely gracious yet intimidating figures both in hand and on the tabletop. Like for most of the army, I wanted to stay clear of too clean Eldar and show dust and grimes affects them just like any other creature. Since the wraithguards are constructs, I also wanted to show how damage affects them so I used some sponge weathering with a dark brown. The idea is that there won't be any metal beneath it and it's not paint cheaping as much as it's just necrosed wraithbone that hasn't regenerated until a bonesinger takes care of it.

I really like the fact that their guns are connected to the antennas like they channel some energy through it to their weapon.


The grey parts were done using a mix of contrast paits and Vallejo Xpress colours which mix surprisingly well. The red parts on the heads and antennas were done with an airbrush to make the red gradient fast and smooth. However, after doing a couple of them, I got carried away and forgot to mask the rear on two of them, resulting in a stupid accident which ruined all the time gained and had me fix the contrast parts (which is a massive pain in the butt), I'll pay attention next time, I guess...


I kept markings pretty simple, no going with the wraithguard rune which is much too complicated for my fine motor skills but kept the infinity symbol and the Craftworld design on the loin cloth.

Since this is already marking half of our challenge, the participants have taken more scenic pictures so I've taken the opportunity to do a little more than the usual grey backdrop !

I got to say I love how the Eldar contrast with the orks, making both sides clearly identiable. It might not be peak red era style despite the proeminence of red but I'm really happy with the overall effect and how a more sizable force might look in the future !


 Right now, I'm drowning in more Turnip models to get ready for some games but I'm testing my limits and will still have my March entry to do so March is going to be one very hobby heavy month !

Don't forget to check what my colleagues have achieved as well on the first ever drama blog HERE, the armies are getting spectacular !

Happy hobby to you all !

9 comments:

  1. I really like these guys! They're very nice sculpts and your freehand works really well. I've not done any weathering/damage on my own Eldar robots, but I like the way you've gone about these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ! The freehands are very simple and limited because quite frankly it isn't someting I enjoy

      Delete
  2. was never a Eldar player but always thought the miniatures for them were really cool,
    these came out really nice. well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm a huge fan of Jes Goodwin's sculpts and Eldar are one of his best so it's great working on them !

      Delete
  3. We like the weathered look of these miniatures, which get their hands dirty in combat... after all, a clash with orks on such terrain is not the best way to keep your body and equipment shiny and immaculate. The dark red color also suits them very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're definitely a messy adversary ! Thanks !

      Delete
  4. Really love the colours, can't wait to see vehicles ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...