Monday 29 January 2024

Wicker Man and Magic Stones


So I have this gaming week end planned in March involving Celtic barbarians, demons of the sea and weird worshippers of giant worms. While I'm not meant to bring a whole table's worth of scenery, I thought it would be silly not to paint and bring the related scatter terrain kindly printed for me by my mate Michael.
Obviously the first bit of terrain you'll want to have is the wicker man because if you want to save that crazy druidess to start a love/hate relationship that will tear the whole place then a dark age burning man is defintely a good option.
It also happens to be a piece I could use for Turnip28 (which I'm working on atm) so really it was the right time to do this one.
The model is a 3D print I don't know the origin from but it's suitably tall without being oversized. i'm not so happy about the way I painted the fire, it's too red and I'm going to change the way I approach things in the future but for now, it's a painted piece of terrain and I'm fine with it !


There was a burial cairn in the set as well, an easy job with drybrushes, bit of washes and pigments, a few tufts and that's a good way to add decoation or an objective marker to a table.


As you'd expect, a few magic stones with skulls will also provide so points of interest


And just to finish, there was stone tomb. I'll make a stone slab to go on top when I manage to think about it so players can discover the treasures hidden !


So this is it, a short post this time as I'm neck deep in projects and real life !
Hope you're all having a great hobby time !

18 comments:

  1. Looks like the wicker man is by Printerra Studios (https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-002-celtic-wickerman-and-burning-wickerman-188619) but regardless jobs a good 'un! Have enjoyed your Celt weirdness of late.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the one ! Thanks a lot, there will be quite a lot of celtic madness in late March when we all gather for the earth Goddess !

      Delete
  2. Oooh! Very atmospheric! 🐭💙🩵

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ! It's a pretty simple job on those really but they do set a different vibe than vanilla fantasy.

      Delete
  3. The wicker man is obviously awesome, but the burial stones look amazing, I love all these pieces

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mec, I really love those bits of terrain as palette cleansers, fast and very rewarding

      Delete
  4. Awesome work mec. Can't wait to see them in person form some gaming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thansk mec, I can't wait for the shower of faux celtic madness !

      Delete
  5. They are fantastic scenic elements, made even more fascinating by your paintjob! Please take some photos of the gaming table when you deploy your miniatures among them.
    Thanks to your post and subsequent web research, we learned what a wicker man is, what connection it had to the Celtic religion, and that there is a British film that popularized it. We knew of gigantic puppets in the form of a witch or a man which in the Italian countryside are still burned today to symbolize the end of winter and the rebirth of nature: could they have some connection with the wicker man?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ! One could even see the modern burning man as the direct heir to the old tradition. Rest assured, there will undoubtedly be a whole report of the games played and deeds f our heroes !

      Delete
  6. Those are both excellent and creepy. Particularly like the opened tomb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I need to make a tombstone to cover that and frighten players opening it !

      Delete
  7. I always love a Wicker Man and those faces and hands poking out are a fun touch - I think your painting style really suits the Folk Horror thing and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks mec ! It's definitely a style I want to scratch more in the future !

      Delete
  8. Really nice celtic pieces of scenery, can't wait to see the whole table you're gonna play on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ! I'm playing in Ireland and I'll only bring those bits so most of the tables will be provided by my irish friends and therfore be a surprise ! No doubt they will be great though !

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...