Thursday 31 August 2023

2nd edition Marine for the #90smarinechallenge

So if you're keeping track of what happens on  Instagram, you might have heard of Darren Latham's painting challenge #90smarinechallenge which requires participants to paint a plastic 2nd edition marine from the starter box.
I found this would be the perfect occasion to add yet another Scythe to the chapter so knowing full well I wasn't gonna paint the nicest, I had to at least pick THE BEST chapter there is : the Scythes of teh Emperor (no question).

I quickly went to look for one on a facebook trading page and I was lucky to get one gracisouly donated to me which I immediately prepped and primed with love ! I even kept parts seperated to be as neat as possible !


Then obviously house works and summer holidays came in the way and earlier this week I just realised I had a model due for the 2nd of September !!!

I inda wanted to go a bit further on this guy but with little time left I went back to the warm embrace of the comfort zone and proved recipes.

I've always wanted my marins to be heavily weathered and grimy anyway so it might have been weird to paint one too clean, guess we'll never know.


The right shoulder got the typical double scythes pattern like all the other marines of the army

For the left shoulder though, I wanted something fancier and while plenty of the old illustrations show them with a scythe horseman, I knew it was impossile for me to nail one in the time needed (if at all).

So zoom a little lower and BAM, you got it, a design of what I believe is the Heart of Sotha, the scythes former monastery/fortress *shaking angry fist at the sky and cursing tyranids* and I thought it was simple, elegant and meaningful enough to feature on the fellow ! (I couldn't find teh source of the chapter banner picture though so any leads would be appreciated).


Here you can see him proudly and a little too seriously posing with some death eagles transition marines

And of course with another "monopose monstrosity"® 


And with the guys who started the whole project for me !


 Hope you had a great summer, the hobby is gradually coming back to the front here with plenty of real life to mess any great plans but the fun is here.

Happy painting to you all !

12 comments:

  1. Good work. I doubt you'll win. I probably should have entered. I need the Instafame, but I made a vow to paint six models and so far one is finished and already fought in a game. Tonight I will paint a little more with tomorrow a day off. I think I still have some of these guys, maybe the sergeant new on sprew. I really am a slow painter because up until recently I was still painting models from the 90s and I'll get back to it someday, but I'm trying to modernize my 90s army. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, well I knew the competition would be leagues above anything I could perform in but it was a fun challenge and it got me to follow plenty of painters I didn't know plus I found some fellow scythes fans so it's all win for everyone really.
      What game are you painting for ?

      Delete
    2. Oh I think the contest was good fun and I too followed several new Instagrams. Painting competition standards have gone way up since the 90s. I am of course painting for 40K, Plague Marines and one Chaos Spawn. Keep up the good fight.

      Delete
  2. Very nice! I particularly like the weathering on his legs and feet. I had a go at this challenge as well. Nice to see an old plastic tyranid in the background there too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all very fast techniques and low skill work because I totally misjudged the time I had left and little if anything got painted in August ! I don't think I've seen yours, is it on your blog ?

      Delete
    2. Found it, you painted it way earlier than I did ! Love the teacup theme !

      Delete
  3. This is the best example of what you can achieve even with this kind of raw materials when you know what you want to do. The guy looks wonderful, it's enormously Blanchesque to my eyes, I love your work here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mec, actually I think I misread the memo since most of the paintjobs were lush and those which got awards were very much in the 90's style which is pretty much the opposite of what I did, I had fun though !

      Delete
  4. Love how detailed you got on this guy! All the heraldry is fantastic. I'm amazed at the details you put into him. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun fact, there were even too much details at one point until I glued the bolter back which hid the golden eagle on the chest and the massive gem ! ^^'

      Delete
  5. Very cool and I particularly like the markings! May I include your lad in the Scythes Gallery on my site? (the-scythes.com) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...