Saturday 25 February 2023

Dark Goblins by Maraud Miniatures

 

Hey all, I'm quite chuffed to show you these now. A while ago, I was visiting my FLGS like usual when one of the owners took me aside and said he had stuff I might want to see. Now this is the kind of encounter I was taught to avoid but in a hobby store, all rules stay out at the door.

It turns out he was sculpting a new range of fantasy miniatures inspired and flavoured with all the nice references we love.
The models were built on concept art by  my mate Adrien AKA Jean Peinture (follow both his Instagram and amazing blog)


and sculpted by  the most excellent Alexandre Vallet, 2 hobby friends I have a huge fondness and respect for on top of being lovable human beings.

So when asked if I wanted to paint them, my answer was a quick and firm YES !

I first started on 3 of them exploring a colour scheme that would somehow tie them with my other fantasy orcs but what I wanted to happen wasn't happening. It wasn't clicking. It was trying to be both red eraesque and grim but I wasn't getting the balance I wanted so when I got the rest, I just did what I tend to avoid and just stripped them to start anew.

I went for something different, a bit more cartoony but also darker at the same time, I desaturated my skin tones to contrast with the very dark armours and gave some spot colours to liven up everything and I liked that way much more !

I'll give you a look at all of the goblins with the painted and unpainted versions so you can make your mind about how you would have done them, I'm definitely interested in feedback.

The shaman/leader sets the tone right away with his turnop (or at least that's how I decided to paint it), big belly and armour on exclusively non vital parts, I realy love the strong gremlin vibe and mischievous look of him.



The berzerk with 2 hand weapons is also channeling a strong crazyness vibe as well


Like his shaman, the 2 handed weapon berzerk has decided to still display his formidable belly and potato sack shirt (probably to look cool)



Now this one has a strong sword duellist vibe I like a lot and could be very well be the source of extremely unpleasant surprises !



The beakie helmet one is amongst my favourites, something about that helmet shape and very concealed look makes him more sinister than the rest.



What I love about those too is the attention to little details, the elongated neck and single eye, the ogryn face shield and helmet breathers or the twirly hook on the halberd...


I like that half the models are more of a guard type with heavy armours and long weapons


this lasy one is in my top 3 I reckon, the arm resting on the shield and the firm grip on the spear are excellent



I have some more models on that range to show you and different kinds too, those goblins scream Forbidden Psalm to me though, having had to face goblins in Mork Borg, they're definitely models I want to field in those games !

Check their Facebook page HERE and go see on the webstore if you want to pick some of those beauties as preorders HERE 
Next might be some much bigger threat, happy painting y'all !





14 comments:

  1. Lovely miniatures and amazing paint job! Love the Labyrinth vibe of the goblins, I'll definitely have to get my hands on those at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, they really do have a fun vibe we were missing in miniature form

      Delete
  2. These are just gorgeous little creatures! They have the cartoon appeal of Blood Bowl Goblins, expertly coupled with some seriously gnarly black iron weapons/armour.

    You choice of paint scheme is superb too! It makes me wonder now whether a Goblin's social status is directly linked to the size of their belly (Grom the Paunch, anyone)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Becca, I think Belly size is a sign of strength, any goblin living long enough to get fat must be tough !

      Delete
  3. These are awesome. I'm a big fan of goblins in plate armour, especially with those pointy helmets. I'll have to get hold of some of these. Really nice painting, too. I like how you've kept the colours dark but brought out all the details of the armour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, the armours really do have nice features you want to highlight rather than hide, it might have been what made the first attempt weak

      Delete
  4. Very “Brian Froud - Labyrinth” feel to these that is exceedingly pleasing. I love the contrast between the armours and skin colours and those vibrant red eyes pop brilliantly! Off to check out their page now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have painted a troll for them and went even further diwn the Froud vibe with him you'll see 🙂

      Delete
  5. Fantastic goblin warband: thanks for introducing us, we were immediately won over. And at the base there are really fascinating artworks. Unfortunately, the writings in the margins of the drawings are not legible from the photos, but if we don't get a bad glimpse, has the artist given names to some of his creatures? We agree that your paint job has made the best of these greenskins, avoiding monotony even when the armour covers most of the body. What is the average height of these minis?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The goblins are about 18/20 mm to the eyes and the troll 40mm to the eyes (although he's sitting).
      Thanks a lot for the kind words !

      Delete
  6. these guys remind me of the trolls and goblins from the movie Labyrinth.
    fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was one of the references indeed !
      Thanks !

      Delete
  7. Oh my ... this is excellent, more so seeing so much details on show here!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...