Tuesday 27 October 2020

6mm shanties and scenery by The Lazy Forger



Hey everyone ! So, not long ago, I was quietly browsing FB and stumbled upon The Lazy Forger's page and damn I took a gut punch right into my 6mm love.
I've been painting epic for less than 2 years now and I've been thinking a lot about making a table since our first lockdown, wondering what sort of vibe I wanted for it or not. 
While I absolutely love the look of the old 'eavy metal pictures, I was not going to do a "giant building standing on the lawn" thing and to some extent I wanted to tie it with what I already have in my 28mm set (being able to use the same mat would be an added bonus because money/space/energy).

Now Seeing the Lazy Forger's shanties, I had the answer right away, these fitted with my fogou stuff and I love the post-apoc/fringe world look that ties back up to the rogue trader and Adeptus titanicus days.
40K RETRO: Adeptus Titanicus' First Month and One Hell of a Good Story -  Bell of Lost Souls
 

I got a few shanties printed by a good friend and from his feedback, the pre-supported well designed files made it a really easy fool proof job to print (so got him to print a load more of them, the sweet angel).


The level of detail is just right, it's neat and characterful, extremely painter friendly and although scale is a problem you can easily overcome with 3D printed models, I find they scale just right how they come.

I did a really quick painting job on those, trying not to lose myself in the details and trying to get to the point. The aim was to try and see if the methods used to paint my 28mm shanties could suit the 6mm ones and the answer is yes as far as I'm concerned. The basic set here was a test piece so I know I can make the others work now. There will be variations and a bit of conversion too but honestly these were fun and that's a big bonus for terrain where volume might make it too big of a chore.


Now of course as soon as the asian city blocks were released, I also knew they were an absolute must (actually everything that's been released so far is so expect me to paint a good portion of the catalogue !)

As much as I like the adeptus titanicus scenery with the gothic vibe I find those (despite the smaller size) to have a more organic look. I'll have to plan things on how I want to field them, either individually (unlikely) or as big blocks (unlikely as well) or maybe into sub groups I can join...
I also have one very exciting project for a good load of those but that's super secret stuff for now !

Anyway, I reckon you've probably guessed how excited and enthusiastic I am about those models and the fantastic solutions provided, it's always such a pleasure to discover great producers (although they're clearly not newbies ^^).
Now go check Lazy Forger on their page HERE and go get yourself some of those awesome files to print HERE !

18 comments:

  1. I love these! What a glorious resource find! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These really are terrific. The models themselves are perfect, and the painting really does an excellent job to bring them to life. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I knew they'd look good if I spent some time on them but wanted to test how good they'd be with simple and effective techniques because that's a major point with scenery in my book, it's a clear confirmation for me and I'm really chuffed to have it all ready !

      Delete
  3. It's really great, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely looking shanties! The paint job really suits them and they'd easily pass for a larger scale!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks !
      It's actually tempting to print them at 28mm to see 🙂

      Delete
  5. I've been following these on LAF for a while and I'm most definitely getting some kits when I get back to Epic. They are absolutely gorgeous, glad to see you are using them already, and thanks for the pics, they are exactly what I was looking for to see the scale!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post is the strongest urge I've ever wanted to dive into 6mm. Well done Mec cant wait to see this in person sometime in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very fun and fast scale, extremely enjoyable, thanks mec !

      Delete
  7. They really do look fantastic. The level of detail look like it helps to bring out the sheer size of those titans too. You're making me want to dig out my Epic stuff from storage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're absolutely right, that level of detail really does turn them into more than robots in a godzilla set but gigantic ones IRL.
      By all means get your epic stuff out, it's such an enjoyable scale !

      Delete
  8. For something so small, the details are incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Asian buildings are exactly what I've been dreaming of! I've actually reached out to some designers asking them to make such buildings. They're EXACTLY PERFECT! Auuuughhhh! Thank you for posting these 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were an love at first sight thing for me too, glad I'm not the only one !

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...