Tuesday 12 March 2019

Time to set the scene - Fogou Fort !


OK so I've been pretty quiet for some time now, several factors  could explain that but one of them was that I've been slowly bt steadily working on a lot of scenery for Fogou Models' upcoming kickstarter !
I had the chance to paint their former kickstarter last year so I was pretty chuffed to get to work on this new one !
This one is considerably more ambitious with a whole post-apoc fort !



For starters, just take a look at the magnificent painting from Doti (from Katsina Miniatures) which sets the mood for the project !


 The pieces shown below are some of those that will be in the kickstarter but there's more and many variants !

The first piece here is the entry gate, this is the prototype version but the final one will be in the same mood. I really like that it's fully functionnal with the gate hinge being cleverly incorporated in the side pillar, allowing to remove the gate entirely and to open or close it. This is one of Fogou's main characteristics : the attention to details and clever design.


Then we have 3 corner modules (there might be more variants) :


And of course we get several straight sections (4 of which I got to paint as you can see below. The straight sections incorporate very easily with the other sections thanks to a piece on the left hiding any joint so in effect; you don't even see where modules join (told you it was well designed). 
All the walls have different designs and use different elements but they all keep the same feeling so they don't feel monotone and yet fit perfectly with one another.
All the textures really help the painter and if you're smart enough to use them as a help they will make you save precious time (which I only used to my advantage late in the process if I'm being honest).


  Now all wall sections also come with walkways that will help your troops defend the fort like any good castle ! Those walkways are composed of 2 mounts and a platform you can glue so you can choose which combos you want if you want some with a specific look. 


 These are not specific to this KS but I had some small barricades from a previous order so I added them to what I was painting ! They're perfect human sized barricades to block lines of sight and add some visual interest.


 It's really fun to slowly get to a point where you have enough to create real cool scenes so I had to play with the pieces, combining them with what I had painted from the earlier sets !


 Now of course, being the idiot that I am, I also took the opportunity to add even more to the already big load I had to paint so I took the barricades from the Ork Mek workshop (GW) and threw those in as well !
With a more humble and less eye catching paintjob, I think they don't look too ork specific so they'll blend pretty well with all the rest !






 Now I told you I was an idiot, well I just confirmed it by adding even more to the workload and added these barricades from Kraken wargames. I got those in a KS some time ago and thought this was the right moment to paint them ! Although I ended having to chew more than I could swallow (explaining the quiet period), I now feel happy those were done with teh rest ad it all blends  nicely.
 
So here's everything I painted in one go !



Fogou's Kickstarter is not out yet (but you'll know when !) and you might want to check my friend Axiom's version which is brilliant. I think the best way I can tell you  how much I love this set is that I actually ordered more before even finishing what I had ! Those new sections will be great additions to make my fort look even more imposing on the tabletop !
I really can't advise you enough to take a look at their stuff and save a few caps for it !




32 comments:

  1. Great weathering on this terrain set JB! Looks like there's enough variety to make it pretty damn versatile too. High five!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really versatile but yet doesn't have that fake feeling modular scenery can have if you see what I mean. I'm totally in love with it.

      Delete
  2. Nice terrain set! I'm wondering how you manage to mute the colors for your paint scheme. Is the trick mixing in grey or do you use a very specific voodoo ritual to get that look?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it really depends, for models, I do add a lot of grey and use them to highlight my models. I also start from zenithal white on black undercoat with colours glazed more than blocked.
      For this scenery, I glazed colours over a zenithal spray of white on top of a side spray of grey on top of black undercoat. It was time consuming and gave me a nice micro texture but this might be a little counter productive because it takes time and only show at close distance... The colours I used were also very desaturated to begin with too ^^

      Delete
  3. These look brilliant. That's an epic amount of terrain, that's you set for post-apoc gaming for a while. The fort is fab, a real utility set. The walkways alone give you the highly prizes but often absent second level for gaming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a tower to add and there will be more in the KS. Time and money will be the only limit ^^
      Thanks a lot Mr S !

      Delete
  4. Your weathering is perfect JB. It give an unified effect to all the parts. Lot of work here. Bravo (^_^)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have absolutely knocked this out the park. Your paintwork is introducing a lot of subtle texture to complement the casted textures. And your overall colour pallette is very tightly controlled with enough variety to sell it as cobbled together constructions. Wish I'd seen this before starting on my terrain pieces so I could fold your approach into mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your approach and mone have some points in common though but I did the mistake to aim for too much simulated texture. I gave the rusted steel panels some grain like real rust but it only shows up close, only very slightly in photos and pretty much not at TT distance. ^^'
      I did know I wanted a very tight palette so I added orangey filters on most parts to ensure some sense of uniformity despite the panels being very different colours to begin with. I wanted to have all of them look like they've aged in the same place for a while.

      Delete
  6. Wonderful work on a wonderful set mec!

    The work that you (and Axiom and Curis) have done on these has made me determined to get a set of my own.

    Fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're unlikely to regret it really, I've enjoyed Fogou's stuff everytime I got to paint some and using them on the tabletop is even more of a pleasure !

      Delete
  7. You have done a brilliant job on those man

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It tok a while because of the sheer volume but getting there is a blast !

      Delete
  8. What a work! Wow, they all work nice together, you made a fantastic job on the weathering and giving them all a worn out aspect. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've played Fallout way too much not to replicate the same vibe on these really ! ^^
      Thanks !

      Delete
  9. Fantastic weathering work. Each texture is differentiated accordingly. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't say that everytime but for once this was what I was looking to achieve, with variations but a unified feeling at the same time. ^^

      Delete
  10. I think you and Jon have decided this for me! I gotta have one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mec, it's brilliant stuff, this stuff is up there with the very best tbh.

      Delete
  11. That's a brilliant looking set! I really like the rusted metal against the red and grey-blue panels. The non-Fogou elements integrate seamlessly. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thanks Jon, yours were a inspiration and a great motivation as well. I'm still astonished about how you did them so fast and well (even with fewer pieces to begin with). Always a pleasure working along you. ^^

      Delete
  12. REMEMBER THE ORKAMO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice post.Keep sharing. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bravo pour tout le taff abattu Ça fait une sacrée ville tout ça et ça fleure bon la ruine et l'embuscade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Petit à petit ça prends forme oui ! Merci à toi !

      Delete
  16. Man, where have I been? Great stuff, as usual JB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's so much to keep up with, how could we complain ! ^^
      Thanks mec.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...