Monday 18 June 2018

Warhammer underwolds Shadespire - Ironskull's Boyz


Sometimes you do things you never thought you'd do. I never thought I'd paint anything related to Age of Sigmar, and here I am with my 3rd band belonging in it. I never thought I'd get the orruks for Shadespire, but here I am.
I didn't like the way they looked, didn't like the way I could hardly tell them apart, I didn't like the look of them.
But some things just happen, in my case, it was going to meet my dear friend Sho3box and playing Shadespire with him, facing his orruks with my Stormcast.
Playing against them quickly made me realise the Ironskull's boyz were actually the easiest to tell apart model wise since their names are basically just a description of them, then seeing them painted by him made me realise they were not that bad as models either. And finally, playing against them confirmed what I feared : they're the kind I like to play. Ruthless, blunt, forgiving, tough...

The 2 main guys are already good fun, Gurzag is possibly one of the very best leaders in the game, being extremely resilient and hitting hard as well, Bonekutta is also the guy you send in to be mean :


Bonekutta and Gurzag Ironskull
Now Basha and Hakka (who I often call Slasha for some reason) are the Bebop and Rocksteady of the game, they're basically the same  guy (though Basha should be careful about that belly of his if he want to fit in his armour).

Basha and Hakka
 Now painting wise, I was tempted to go with something unique with those guys but since I'd like to have my sets to fit with each other, I've opted for something (a lot) more classic. I'm slightly disapointed the photos won't get some of the nuances on the armour (I did spend some time on those reds before over weathering them).
I knew I did'nt want to go the full banana way (never go full banana) and thought it would be cool to echo the old red era style for orcs. Of course red armour isn't anyhing original sinc it goes well with their green skin but you know...
I tried to keep the green skin pale enough to make it stand as well, I do like to think orc skin goes paler as orcs become strong and old... ^^
For once, I'm quite happy with the painting but the photos don't show any of what I like in the models, I guess it's better this way than the other though. 

So that's a third band done and I'm quite happy about it, I have another 2  and that should be all !


I've left some deadlines and commitments behind me but BOYL is coming our way  and I have a few things left to do so I can't let the steam go down for now !

Happy painting to you all ;)

28 comments:

  1. Not a great Shadespire addict. Yet, I also bought the models to complement my Modheim/fantasy skirmish troups. Love the red/grey palette and the depth of your reds are still visible, don't worry ;) Always a great fan on your dirty capes :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mec !
      I wouldn't say I'm an addict, I don't have all bands and don't plan to but I certainly do enjoy the game a lot !
      As you say, it's always good to have those guys for any other purpose too !

      Delete
  2. These look like proper orkses. While not a fan of the angry banana scheme, I do like the orruk models. As I suspected with rust, scratches and a spot of grime these boys can look great. I'm totally stealing your skin recipe too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, I like a good pale orcish skin to make the rest stand, I wish the black to orange reds would show more in the pics but more importantly, I'm eager to put them on the table and hit people like a lunatic.

      Delete
  3. They look brilliant man!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic painting. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, it's all simple stuff but it works on simple models !

      Delete
  5. You might say that your pics don't pull the details you want, but I think those are some fearsome orruks (or Orks).

    Well done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ! I'm an eternal unsatisfied kind but in truth I like them, flaws and all so that's all that matters !

      Delete
  6. Simply beautiful work! They look great done in a ‘classic’ style - it’s how I want to paint mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hesitated a bit but favoured to keep them in line with the others in the end. ^^
      Thanks a lot !

      Delete
  7. So much better than the studio paintjobs and scheme. Love these sculpts, just brutal warriors in a brutal game.
    Your green skin is excellent, love the depth. If/when I get a set of these ladz, I think I'll go with my preferred brown skin tho... green always seemed more of a lizardman skin colour to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, the other plan was to actually have them painted with a pale orange skin. I'm pretty sure it would have been cool (th earmour would have been totally different as well of course) but mayeb I'll save that for later. ^^

      Delete
  8. These are lovely, better than mine I think.

    I'm quite fond of Gurzag (undistilled ork aggression), Bonekutta (a morker I reckon), Basha and Hakka (100% Bebop and Rocksteady... why did I not see that before now?). Shadespire is a lot of fun and while Ironskulz Boyz tend to be direct, there is certainly nuance and brinkmanship in using them effectively.

    I'm looking forward to our next Shadespire throw down :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I think they turned out different enough from yours in the end ^^'
      I like to think Bonekutta thinks he's smart and that he could take the boss' seat anytime when all he can actually do his hit with all his strength anything that comes in front of him (although he excels in this particular area).
      I also think Hakka and Basha try to make sentences that are way too complicated for them to impress the boss, thus annoying him until they just break/cut everything in sight and they all have a good laugh.
      I might be projecting a bit much in a band I haven't played and which doesn't really require any roleplaying but y'know, I can't help it. ^^
      I'm definitely looking forward to the next melee !

      Delete
  9. You make the models look good JB. I'm still not convinced they're for me though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're really different from anything I usually paint honestly and I probably wouldn't paint them if it wasn't for the game but that said, I do find them pleasant since they come in small numbers and are a well restricted kind of project.
      Thanks !

      Delete
  10. I'm doing my set banana yellow, so I'm relieved you didn't. That would be embarrassing turning up to play. Be like wearing the same dress.

    That said, I think your scheme works with the traditional view of Orcs as brutal and grubby. I like your touches like the chipping back on the red panels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No chance I was going to paint these guys yellow !
      I did end up painting them with red armour parts like Paul did though... Our styles differ enough to avoid making it awkward.
      I was really happy with the red hilighted up to a nice bright orange like in the old days but thought a little weathering would help take them in modern times with still a nod to the past. ^^
      I'm eager to see you on some of the bands.

      Delete
  11. I really like the use you made of colours here, just the perfect combo of metals and red. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers man, there's honestly nothing original here, it's been done hundreds of time but i've tried to update the recipe to make it my own. ^^

      Delete
  12. Laugh all you want but because orks are what attracted me to miniature painting in the first place, I kind of subconsciously judge how good a painter is by how he paints orks. And you sir did a freaking EXCELLENT job on them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a vey late ork enthusiats to be honest but I now "get" the charm and appeal of those bad boyz. ^^

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...