Ever opened a copy of one of the realm of chaos books when you were ten? Ever tried to own each and everyone of the Jes Goodwin chaos champion? Ever spent days lurking on ebay for a complete Kaleb Dark or chaos toilets?
You're at home here.
Eldar space fleet in progress and some frills and fauna...
Back in December, some WIPsters and I vowed to go on a buying embargo. We've done that before and the idea is to basically stop buying and hoarding models and to reduce the leadpile or at least stop its uncontrollable growth (saving a few coins in the process ideally).
I've already done that many times before and it's always gone pretty well bar a few mistakes. Not doing something is easier than doing things right ?
Well a couple days ago, I broke my vow and couldn't help getting a single piece for a few quid posted :
The sails from a shadowhunter, just that. I avoided beautiful kickstarters and many more cool models but I faltered because of a single piece. Now to be fully honest, I do plan on staying true to the rules of the embargo (meaning you can spend on hobby material but not on new models requiring paint).
But I still find I did the right thing to buy this piece.
Why is that ?
Well it's triggered something pretty cool :
After sorting all the bits I had, I realised I had everything I needed to start this Eldar space force. Now I knew from the start my Eldar contingent wouldn't be anywhere near the Tyrannid or Imperial ones (nearing 1000 points each) but I did want to have a little force of them despite the fact only 2 models are available for them (well 3 but 2 really).
Using the body of a wraith ship, I was able to do a second Shadowhunter (a variant of some sort) and while I used parts of a 100pts ship to do a 50pts one, I still think it was the right choice.^^
Then came the tiring part involving pinning all those broken sails. I used 1mm wire to do that and it seems it was just the right size.
Then came the main course, I was short on sails but wanted to do something a little bigger though. With only 2 possible choice anyway, I needed something to stand from the rest of the fleet.
I took some 2mm wire and put it right in my dremel :
Files and sandpaper (with the wire rotating)...
Et voilà !
Added to the ship, I made it in line with the lower sail because I wanted something impressive. I also used the spare tail and reduced it to make the hull look more impressive.
Just had to trace the shape on some Pcard and glue it in place :
After some feedback from the WIPsters, I added a second sail at the back and it did make the ship far more impressive and regal as befits a flagship.
All the ships will require some putty work of course but I'm really glad to now have 7 complete ship I should be able to paint in little time.