Tuesday 26 November 2013

Behind the wall of sleep - part 3

I'm just at the end of moving home right now with the dust from boxes and furniture settling down and my evenings becoming a little more quiet.

I hate moving home, I mean I really hate it and the fact this time is the 4rth in 3 years time (11 in 10 years) doesn't help even though this new home might be the one and it's a pretty good one.
Anyway, what you're reading is still meant to be a modelling/wargaming blog so what is all this moaning and grumping about?

It is said some beautiful flowers can bloom on horrible soils and that wonder can emerge form horror.
One such thing happened yesterday while I was tidying the garage. I happened to come across a strange blue box that I'd seen from time to time without paying much attention to it. This time, I had decided to tidy things properly and not just put boxes in places where I would forget them forever, I gave a quick glance inside it...


Some of the content is clearly obvious and is the main reason why I didn't look too closely at this one before. We have a  lot of scenery pieces made by me. I remember these clearly because they were made just at the time of the release of WH40K 2nd edition. I had found a big blue isolation foam board and I used it to make a lot of scenery like :

A chaos altar

A paper toilet dungeon (at least I know where my chaos toilets will go...)

WH40K ruins and buildings

Barbwire fences
Some of you might as well have noticed something odd from the first picture... come one, take a good look, I 'm adding a little hint ...


it looks like some plastic package with a card back...

Let's have a closer look at it...


Oh, I remember getting this one from an old hobby shop in Nantes in 95 or something. Let's put this aside for a while and see what else we have here...

An Iron maiden patch with the Derek Riggs drawing for the song "seventh son of a seventh son" coming form the album bearing the same name (Maiden's best album of all time to me)

I had this attached to my jean jacket by my grandmother (god, I was wearing a jean jacket...) and later on it was attached to my wallet before getting worn out and me shying away from such fanboyism (I didn't want to frighten the few girls I managed to get close too at the time).

If you don't already know this brilliant song :



I also found a huge Union Jack offered to me for a birthday. Playing british wargames, and learning english by deciphering Iron maiden lyrics at 11 (not to mention reading pat mills comics, Tolkien and Moorcock books to name a few) must have had quite a influence on the young french teenager I was... (it still is to be honest).



Another thing  I found was totally not related with all these early 90's goods but comes from a trip in Martinique in 2005. It's jet black volcanic sand. Just how cool is that. There's no way my chaotic-to-the-chore heart won't find a way to use this the best way possible...



I hope you all agree this was quite a fluke to find such things while moving boxes of women shoes, children bicycles ans things like that...
What? You're waiting for something else? Oh you mean that old blister ? you want to know if it contained something or not and if yes, did had the balls to open it?

Well, it DID contain something... however, the blister was already broken and the content could flee from the blister without any help... The ogre was at the bottom of the box...

So Yes this was a VERY happy find and I didn't have to consider endlessly "do I have the right to open a sealed blister? because time (and moving home 10 times at least) had answered that question for me.
The only remaining question is : which one did I get from it ? It's obviously not the one I showed you last week but let's say if lats week's ogre was a captain, that would make him his higher officer...

My painting desk and hobby place are still not available at the moment (working actively on this though) but when everything's in place, I expect to come back at full speed !

For now...


PS : By the way if some of you are fanatics to the point to want this blister, I can give it to you, I also found the same blister which contained the only slanns I ever bought so that makes 2 John Blanche blisters in pretty good shape (if you don't consider they're damage enough to let the minis go.
Somehow, throwing away such blisters even though empty doesn't seem right to my oldschool heart...

16 comments:

  1. Nice finds, always helps to have the stress of moving relieved by a bit of luck! (So says a serial mover).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Stress" has got to be both an understatement and a euphemism in my case... ;)
      If luck is here, I may very well find the first bunker I built with the same foam board and even more lead but let's not have too high expectations...
      If you're a serial mover too, you must know this fear whenever your lady glances at a real estate agency...

      Thanks

      Delete
    2. I know that terror all too well :(

      I'm in the middle of gutting and renovating our new house, this time it's got permission to extend too so I'm hoping it'll do for some time! Should be in by the end of January I hope...

      Delete
    3. I hope it works for the best, I'll leave a word for you to Tzeentch and maybe a couple more to Zuvassin about our ladies... :D

      Delete
  2. Heh i always knew you wanted to be English really :P As for moving I've moved so many times and lost 1000's of figures (Last major move I got evicted so lost 6/7 complete armies)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have an appeal for UK and always have though life and lack of will got me from crossing the channel permanently...
      I'm really sorry to hear you lost armies, in the case of being kicked out, it adds pain where unnecessary... I guess I can consider myslef lucky to only lose my mental sanity in the process of moving home, only models lost this way are the complete set of battlemasters and supplements (it itched a bit but bothing like losing lead...)

      Delete
    2. Heh have no fear for what was lost (And it did hurt to leave them) left some space for me to fill with new toys and in the 3 years since I now have even more stuff lol

      Delete
    3. Oh, I don't worry about your inhuman ability to collect, model and paint whole armies one after the other but still there are always a couple of models in the lot who have either a collector or heart value when it's not both...
      Curious to see a review of all the armies you possess so far...

      Delete
    4. I have 13 40k/WhFB, a number of Necromunda gangs, Blood Bowl Teams and a random number of various projects yet to be started. I'm going to do a Blog post to list what i got and at what stage

      Delete
    5. oO

      Well, I'm not anywhare near thi squantity but I 'm planning to list everything for new year's resolutions and all, trying to see what can be done with the lead I own, painted or not...

      Delete
  3. Excellent finds. I really like your chaos altar. I have a few old citadel minis still in the blister. I will show them some paint soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thaks a lot.

      You know Sean, if opening an old blister like these is too much a burden, you can rely on a french friend to help....
      I'm only half joking but I wouldn't want to rob you from the pleasure to paint fresh lead, go ahead mate!

      Delete
  4. Wot no ogre picture? Arrrgghh...this is like...half a blow job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll see it in very llittle time, don't worry ! I get the image, (although it depends on what half you get ;) )

      Delete
  5. I've always been a massive fan of seventh son of a seventh son even though it copped it for being a theme based album

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually love themed albums and this one is one of the first I've had and still one of my favourites.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...