Thursday 26 September 2024

Trench Crusade - Trench pilgrims


Hey all, at the start of a new school year, it was time to start (yet) another project and one had my interest for a while since the launch of the first Kickstarter actually. 
I'm not a fan of historical gaming but throw a bit of fantasy or horror with a zest of Uchronia and it immediately starts to look sexier to me.
I was hooked to the whole forces of god Vs forces of satan thing a while ago to be honest, it's got more to do with comic books and RPG's than catholic upbringing though.
One of the very first hits in my youthful mind was 666 which depicts the invasion of earth by satanic forces and with the iconic hero of the series reverend Carmody (basically a priest version of Duke Nukem), 
It's a very graphic piece, not to lend to everyone but it's an absolute gem from its time.


Another massive influence was also playing one of the best RPG's back then : In Nomine Satanis/Magna Veritas



Play and angel or a demon, choose your patron and just have fun, I've had as much fun playing vile demons as pious angels for different reasons, that game was guaranteed to finish in  a mess but the campaigns were a blast nonetheless.

As for the faction, the game currently offers 6 in the playtest rules but I knew which 2 I wanted right away, the first will be the trench pilgrims and to lead them I'd need a war prophet :



So basing myself on those playtest rules, I took a freeguild marshal and converted him into a fitting leader.


I'm really pleased with the noble pose, very knight like, the colours are obviously (or is it?) even more destaurated and grim than my usual "style" but I've tried to keep things bleak and grim to fit the very sinister tone (I welcome you to try the lore bits which are all little gems, like listening to a fine death metal tune in your sofa.

Now the next entry I wanted was a Castigator, like often, 




I only very loosely inspire from the source content so just like my prophet is missing big ass loudspeakers, my castigator is missing a whip.... well I guess it still looks like what it's meant to be.


Then of course, I needed some actual trench pilgrims who serve as the core of the band



I honestly haven't gone too far into the rules so I have no idea how many I really need and what weapon options are the best but I took the usual path and just modelled what I thought ws fun to see later on.


Those were quite fun to model and althogh the paintjob only clicked in the final stages, I'm quite pleased with how it turned out. I realise I didn't really get far in to the grimdark style despite efforts and I tend to try and keep things easy to read, well, maybe I'll get more crazy with the satanic side, for nos, I have some ecclesiastic prisoners and Stigmatic nuns in the works as well as most of the models from the first kickstarter !

The second kickstarter with all the rules and models is due for October so better be prepared for it !

4 comments:

  1. These are excellent JB. It's not a setting I've really looked into, but the bleak religious vibe is terrifying. Your Castigator is my favourite - that gas mask / head combo works beautifully. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weirdly enough, the Castigator is a bit of a fluke, he wasn't planned much if at all but I just found bits randomly and the concept emerged from that, only to click when I found the hat I needed and knew I had somewhere.
      Glad you like them !

      Delete
  2. bravo, j'aime beaucoup cette petite bande et tes trouvailles pour un univers qui n'a pas encore ses figurines. Chouette boulot !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, they look impressive. I'm also fascinated with the game and all that surrounds it, but in the end I didn't get into the KS. Your work is quite inspiring, you may make me rethink my decisions!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...