Sunday 30 June 2019

Billy Beta the Strontium Dog



Alright, now BOYL is closing in and I still have a few things left to prepare and models to complete but I'm getting there ! One of the models I needed was a Search and Destroy agent AKA Stontium Dog to play a game hosted by my pal Michael involving catching bounties and killing nazis ! How could anyone say no to that ?

Well  I couldn't so tried to find a proper model for that, I had a couple in mind but at some point I had one of those rare moments of neural activation and found just who I needed !
Let's sum things up a bit. I needed :
- Something looking oldschool enough since we're playing at BOYL
- Something looking like clear 2000AD
- Something simple, not involving conversion or too much research to get it...

AND... I remembered I got this box when it was first released at Foundry during BOYL a few years back !
Empirical Absolution and liquidation squad from Foundry

Now just look at the Johny Alpha sculpted at Citadel and painted by my good friend Jon for his blog :


Oh yes, totally a Johny Alpha variant ! 
Well the maint thing was to create a variant character as well and I came up with Billy Beta, a SD agent who's every bit like Johny except he's using Beta rays and not alpha rays and he's just lacking enough charisma so that he's developed a great frustration and jealousy.
His catchphrases are "Not Alpha ! Beta ! You know, Billy Beta !" and "not everyone knows but Beta rays are actually way better than alpha rays.
Painting wise, it was pretty easy to just invert Johny's colours and use the complementary colours namely purple and red to clearly mark him as an antagonist.


I'm pretty chuffed to be playing this game, I had the great pleasure to try it and I loved the cinematic mechanics !


It also comes with the shame for still being so late on painting the miniatures kindly offered by a friend... :/


Now this might be a bit of a stretch but this guy also reminds me of tis great illustration form Rogue Trader so in my heart it will be him if that's OK with you.


I'm also glad to have painted a second member of the Absolution squad, I do realise we're totally spoiled brats as we usually don't paint models we craved for so much...
I guess my gaming world is a slightly better place now.


Still some stuff to be completed and little time to do it now. Hurry up JB !

20 comments:

  1. Billy Beta is the perfect anti-hero / alternate dimension version of Johnny. The tweaking on his badge is just the shift needed to mark him out as a frustrated and under-appreciated Strontium Dog. Love those reds too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure Billy was a good guy to begin with but non resolved daddy issues, frustration and resentment are holding him back from being what Johny is I fear !
      When I look at him there might be a size complex as well ^^'

      Delete
  2. Absolutely ace!

    Hope to see you at BOYL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mec, it will be a pleasure again !

      Delete
  3. A cool twist on the Strontium Dog main man. Nice colour scheme too, he stands out as a bad dude. I foresee dark deeds ahead for Billy Beta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's definitely the recurring bad guy which you discover being a nice guy in the flashback episode

      Delete
  4. He looks rad JB........and I can't think of anything else to say except BOYL here we come!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beta ray rad indeed ^^
      And yes I'm pretty excited now. I'm going to be thinking about this exclusively in the coming weeks.

      Delete
  5. Il est génial ce jeu et il est génial ton concept !!!
    Il rentre parfaitement dans le monde impitoyable des Strontium Dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ben j'ai beaucoup aimé le système oui et comme j'ai beaucoup aimé Dracula's america qui est entre SD et Necromunda et ben ça le fait bien. Hâte d'aller casser du nazi maintenant !

      Delete
  6. Nice character! He sort of reminds me of a 1970's-era Cylon... but the colours prevent the resemblance from being distracting. A fun project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paint him chrome and you sure get another vibe entirely ^^
      Thanks !

      Delete
  7. A fantastic post of yours. The colours remind me of Marvel's Magneto.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ! Tbh, when I started blocking the base colours I immediately thought about magneto as well ^^

      Delete
  8. Same here ... my first thoughts were Magneto. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that there's plenty to see in him, it channels the vibe from many famous characters at once ^^
      Thanks !

      Delete
  9. Top :), ma bande peinte à la sortie du starter https://scontent-bru2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/p960x960/81925738_1520903148047668_7644174602918166528_o.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=2s2m7KxwFbkAX-pDNlC&_nc_ht=scontent-bru2-1.xx&_nc_tp=6&oh=f061a6787e4410614158ae5b452781c9&oe=5F0D3A42

    Par contre l'argot j'ai vraiment du mal, du coup la règle ouille dure pour la compréhension de certains passages...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellents ! Les traductions des publications 2000AD sont déjà pas aisées de base d onc pour un jeu ^^'

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...