Monday 22 January 2018

Lurking in the underhive - Unreleased scavvies


With the release of the new Necromunda, I guess it's pretty safe to say many of us are all excited about either coming up with a new band or updating an old one. I'm not fond of hard choices so I've decided to do both actually. The easiest part though was to update my scavvies since I just had a few new models to add.

Some time ago, I was lucky enough to get my hands on some pretty cool unreleased scavvies which in my opinion are way much better than the armless ones, mostly because you don't have to source and build the arms and because some of them have pretty cool poses !


As you can see in the group shot, I tried to make the new guys blend in the old gang as much as I could, having to retro engineer part of the painting since I had completely forgotten how some parts had been painted previously !

I'm quite pleased to have a nice selection of equipment in both close combat gangers and more shooty ones :


Now the main piece is of course the iconic scavvy shaman (or wizard) AKA Redwart, famous special character from Outlanders.

  
It's quite funny to look at the magnificent Mark Gibbons illustration and see how the visual elemnts on his Redwart are echoed on both the scavvy shaman and king like he's the synthesis of both.


As some might know, I'm way more a painter than a collector so it's quite fun to realise half the band is made of unreleased models !


Best part of all this is that I have a gang all ready to roam the underhive and I can now focus on a new gang. I have one specifically in mind and most of the models in hand with a solid plan in mind. I just need to take the time to do that properly now which should happend before summer is here now.

We're only 2 thirds in January but I have actually painted a fair load of models already so le'ts hop I can keep that momentum going (very unlikely but hoping it does doesn't cost much).

38 comments:

  1. That's quite the enviable selection. These are just super cool Mr Assless. The grimy looking acidic palette suits these scumbags well, and they look fab as a gang all together. Top stuff sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, it was a tricky balance to find something colourful and striking while still keeping a grimdark vibe to them.

      Delete
  2. Mindblowing collection, love those scavvy minis.
    Not mentioning proper paintjob!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, you can bever go wrong with Jes Goodwin can you ? ^^

      Delete
  3. Love the look of your scavvies, I have a very large gang of them though no unreleased ones just the 1st and 2nd ed. sculpts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, there many things to do with them and although I've tried to keep the colour scheme in control, there's a lot of room to experiment with those guys !

      Delete
  4. Really heartening to see a collection of rarities and curios that are lovingly painted up. Really inspiring work, JB. I really like the yellow and black hazard stripes you've thrown into the scheme from the later Necromunda era.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only know 2 kinds of models, painted ones and sad ones. I can't stand making others sad.
      I usually don't like yellow but for some reason it was an obvious choice I just had to do variations on for this gang.
      Thanks !

      Delete
  5. Look brill and I can't wait to see the next additions to Necromunda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm gonna get started on the modelling and I already have ideas for a colour scheme. It should be a fun one !
      Cheers !

      Delete
  6. Lovely additions, sir.
    Not seen those before but I think that I can see the original models that a few were converted from. The two pistols fella looks like he was based on an Eldar Scout, there is a Space Marine Scout and a Commissar or IG Officer in there too, I reckon.
    ;-)
    Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty fun to try and source the donors isn't it ? I hadn't spotted the edlar scout but that could very well be it !

      Delete
  7. Those are seriously cool - Awesome finds and awesome paint jobs! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The models are really nice, I wonder why they never made it into production honestly.

      Delete
  8. I'm a big fan of the scavvies. Great colour selection, they look unsavory and ill but still pop visually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I think that is exactly what I was aiming for !

      Delete
  9. It's a wonderful gang. I really like the dingy browns and greys with the brighter yellow and red. I suspect there aren't any better scavvy gangs in existence, both in terms of paint and the models used.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's call them a tie with Colin's. All the others are waaay behind. ^^

      Delete
  10. A magnificent menagerie of manky mingers! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Becca, I've really enjoyed working on this one.

      Delete
  11. I'm not overly familiar with the Scavvies line of mini's JB, let alone the unreleased one's! But the unreleased one's sure do look like an interesting bunch of degenerates. I like the little yellow theme throughout too, turned out great!

    You must have one impressive and eclectic collection of painted miniatures by now mate. Well worth the effort. Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, I enjoyed those even more than the others. Like they had been converted by a pro for us.

      Delete
  12. Great to see these little treasures painted up and ready for battle! Sir, we salute you ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not painting such models is a crime !
      Thanks mate.

      Delete
  13. Raggedy beauties! Nice colour choices, really interesting work :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Suber !
      I'm glad they have their own visual identity.

      Delete
  14. Encore une belle petite bande au compteur! Bravo :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. J'avoue que ça me laisse sans voix... d'abord parce que les figurines comme la peinture collent parfaitement avec la vision que j'ai de Warhammer et de Necromunda en particulier. Et puis ensuite parce que l'on commence à reconnaître certains éléments familiers dans les figurines, et donc lentement prendre conscience du travail qui se cache derrière. Après The six sinners, encore une troupe que je ne vais pas me lasser de regarder jour après jour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouah merci ça me touche !
      J'avoue que ça me fait plaisir que la réflexion en amont paie et se voit même si je reste assez impulsif comme peintre. en tout cas c'est très motivant merci !

      Delete
  16. Absolutely brilliant. I was a Scavvy player back in the day and never knew anything about these figures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers ! I have to admit I'm a scavvy born again so I'll have to get used to them although the ash waste nomads have a lot of appeal to me right now... ^^

      Delete
  17. This is an interesting colour scheme and one that I don't think I would have come up with. And of course I meant that as a compliment because they look great! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I try to find colour schemes that aren't too familiar !

      Delete
  18. I'm super late to the party with this and am super jealous. I'd sell a nut for Redwart and the King. Awesome stuff! Lovely paint jobs and totally grungy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep your nuts, you never know but yes they're great models, the king is an absolute beauty tbh ^^

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...