Tuesday 17 October 2017

The lone shacks - Fogou Models


I've recently spent a lot of time on scenery from all sources and although it has made progression on models a bit more complicated it's starting to pay off. I have a convention planned in half a year and I would really want to be able to fill a fancy table so there's no other way to achieve this than to roll my sleeves up and get dirty !
I have many projects of scenery on the go but the first I've finished were those lone shacks from Fogou Models.
I had seen some painted by my beloved Axiom during last BOYL and I was very impressed by the quality of the castings and fancy details. I got some of the shanties and one of the adobe buildings but Axiom has done such a great job on those I have to come up with a plan to make my own thing with it.
For the shacks and shanties, I knew exactly what I wanted them to look like. If you know me a bit, the answer will be obvious : Fallout.
Those buildings are just perfect for the junktown look I like.


You can see I've used slightly more coloured panels to bring a bit more life but I have used colours that you'd be likely to find in the game.

First building is the Backhouse. I love the little details like the power supply and left over tiles on the outside. There's also many different textures that make the painting progress very enjoyable.


A very good point about these buildings is that they're fully detailed inside too which for those like my friends and myself who like narrative driven games can be very useful and convenient (like hiding objectives before the game or that sort of stuff).


Just for more conviniency, I've glued some mdf blocks so that the roof pieces fit nicely and don't fall from the main frame during the game when careless players like myself have their sleeve passing by.


The second building is the Razorback shack, pretty much in the same vein as the first one with concrete blocks in one corner. The level of detail is just as good as (or even superior to) what you'd expect from miniatures so you really want to make the best of it.


Last one was Gublob's shanty, a smaller one with a different interior and a bit more wood panels (it really reminded me of the story about the wolf and 3 little pigs).  

  
I'm delighted with these buildings and although they took me a bit more time than anticipated, they were very easy to paint because of the details helping me. The resin is extra crisp and the cast are ready to use as is (after the soap and brush session of course) without sanding or tiresome operations of the kind. The special resin takes paint remarkably well, no hydrophobia or anything. I'm eager to do the other ones now !

Coming soon, some more terrain but of a way more different kind ! 

28 comments:

  1. Very nice piece of scenery ! Scraptown is growing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look great and I think you've captured that Fallout vibe really well. Some scrap cars next?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love scrap cars but they tend to set the vibe in a particular time frame which I'd like to avoid. For some reason corrugated steel is a bit more forgiving and looks OK in the future.
      I do have a hell lot of scrap to paint though. ^^
      Thanks mate !

      Delete
  3. Very cool! I really dig how those turned out - nicely done, man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I, they're very well designed and painter friendly.
      Thanks !

      Delete
  4. You've done a great job on these: they really look good. Not too drab, but not too colorful either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's the real issue here, you want them to have some presence but they mustn't steal the show, I tried to desaturate colours while keeping strong contrasts. i'll take some scenic shots to see how they fare on a tabletop with a mat.
      thanks !

      Delete
  5. Brilliant stuff.

    They look just like the shanty towns I saw traveling as a youth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must have been in interesting places !
      Cheers mate !

      Delete
  6. JB those are great! I'm gonna have to get some of these for Graveskul. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They'd honestly be perfect for Graveskull I reckon. The fact you can open them would be really handy in game for a guy like you.

      Delete
  7. Absolutely excellent! I really like the red and yellow with all the grime and weathering. You've got some scrap piles to paint up as well? They're a must!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought they'd need a little something to stand out. I have A LOT of scrap piles to paint !

      Delete
  8. Ton style de peinture est vraiment efficace espèce d'enfoiré, bien joué, Cest super réaliste !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Je suis pas à ton niveau sur les tables fantasy mais on essaie de faire çà bien. ^^

      Delete
  9. Nice pieces indeed, the paintjob suits them perfectly, their gritty aspect is tremendously cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Given what they're made of, I see no point in painting them all shiny and new !
      Thanks !

      Delete
  10. Those look great JB.
    Are they expensive?

    What's your shanty called? It's got to have a name...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, I think they're very well priced for ready to paint.
      I have no idea what my shanty will be called but I do have to find it a proper name before it's finished...

      Delete
  11. Les figurines, et les bâtiments, tout est magnifique, superbe boulot et impressionnants détails!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your ability to weather metal and stone leaves me slack-jawed, JB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've used very simple and rewarding techniques here.
      The coloured panels are simply blocked with thinned paint over teh zenithaled undercoat and then I weather them with blister foam (Brown/black/leadbelcher). A few uneven washes on top of that and some spots here and there with silver will give all the contrast you need.
      Bare metals were even simpler really, leadbelcher base , black and brown washes (loose and uneven) and a few highlights here and there with silver too.
      Glad you like it !

      Delete
  13. There is so much going on in that shack and yet it all looks naturally blended together. Now that's no mean feat. Excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was a concern to not make them too messy hence the desaturated colours and clear contrasts.
      Thanks a lot !

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...