Friday 24 May 2024

Inq et nunc - 54mm Inquisitor Joos Wendig !


So back in 2001, Games Workshop released Inquisitor, an absolute bimb that changed a lot of things. The main change being the 54mm scale which wasn't already a popular scale in other universes and not even the first alternate scale in their licences since we had had Epic, Manowar and all but it was bigger, grittier and more granular than anything before.
I was hooked like many people then and a 20 yo me dived in whole heartedly, ignoring the lack of skill or experience to do something new. Of all the projects I started, only one and a half got painted and 20 years have passed in the blink of an eye with my tenderness for that project still intact.

Not long ago, my good friend Axiom asked me if I wanted to do some 54mm modelling along him and I couldn't have wished for a better incentive !

Off all the half finished projects, I picked my favourite then, the young hopeful Inquisitor, based on Covenant, a Jes Goodwin sculpt. There wasn't any putty work left to do, it was just waiting for some paint and the semi samurai feel of him still was cool to me. The shotgun contrasting with the ancient broken blade (I had just seen a samurai movie with the hero having one).
The blade is from a 28mm Rackham Sessair and I gave Covenant Eisenhorn's arm, a top knot and a shotgun.

When I started though, I had this idea I wanted prominent red on him and military grade equipment (which in hindsight wasn't great since it's covered with icons, markings and fancy stuff) but it wasn't working, it was too Santa Claus than I could cope with.


This got me to stall for quite a while before realising what I only needed was to swap colours a bit. I also got drowned in way too many painting projects but once I cleared the slate, I had tremendous fun painting this guy. The extra room for details, blending and fine stuff really is soothing where I thought it would be tedious and paralysing.


Eventually, the whole paintjob and colours clicked in like I like them to and I could paint each section one after the other and not doing anything else which is a rare thing for me, I haven't been focusing on a single model for a while and I kind of needed that to be honest.

Here you can see my Inquisitor (which I'll have to name at some point when I have his full retinue done) along the very first Inquisitor scale model I did then, a converted ogryn turned into a squat (who were very much extinct then)


 I'm now pretty excited about doing the retinue and another band or 2 so I guess sometimes you just take the time !
Hope you all the best of hobby times !

13 comments:

  1. He's great JB! He retains the lovely classic feel of Covenant, whilst also managing to become a distinct character. The samurai topknot is a lovely little detail, and I really like the extra dynamism in the pose. The grey greatcoat and red armour was definitely the right decision - looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, the Samurai look was something important to me then and I think I managed the top knot well enough for what were my very first attempts with green stuff

      Delete
  2. très chouette (même avec tes éternelles couleurs gris & rouge :p )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci ! Punaise à chaque fois que je ressort ce combo j'ai une petite voix qui me dit que tu vas faire la remarque ^^'

      Delete
  3. il était temps ! Bravo c'est toujours cool de peindre un truc qui a trainé dans les souvenirs si longtemps. Sacré Covenant, quelle époque! Y'a rien à faire, chaque fois que je vois une fig de cette gamme, je suis aussi excité que la première fois. Super conversion, la bande va bien claquer, surtout quand le familier crotte l'aura rejoint ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clair, du coup on s'est motivé avec des potes, on verra bien si ça mène à du jeu (improbable mais bon), en tout cas niveau modélisme c'est vraiment sympa et ça fait du bien de changer

      Delete
  4. Great figure that you have taken to another level. The colour scheme is very effective.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Squat is just awesome! Such a great conversion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, in hindsight, the painting of the beard is a little rough but its still holds up as a whole, I had forgotten I had sculpted him hair under the arm pits !

      Delete
  6. This is most impressive. I remember the original Covenant mini so, though the source material is recognisable, you made the model truly yours, and that is so awesome, well done, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I like Jes Goodwin's models so much I always want them to be identifiable even when I alter them.

      Delete
  7. Nice job on this one !!!
    I'm really not used yo this scale but I definitely want yo try it some day.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...