Thursday 23 June 2022

Original Space Hulk plastic Terminator



Hey all, just a quick one today, you might have sensed an interest for Space Hulk from my part over time and a little while ago, there's been a paintig challenge on a Space Hulk page on Facebook (how boomer is that ?) to paint one of the original plastic terminators.
And I realised I had never painted one of those monopose monstrosities ! Well only one way to fix that I guess !
Now the original plastic terminator has earned the nickname of Fire Hydrant in our gaming group (and probably elsewhere. I mean, Look at this picture of an Imperial fist with sustained fire :


Uncanny heh ?

Painting wise, well I just went the same way as I did with all my scythes of the Emperor really, gritty, straight to the point, not much fanciness, I really just adapted the colour pattern o the shoulders but that's all, I do find the yellow shoulders to look good.


Of course this guy looks odd next to the Godwins but not totally off either. I'm not sure wether or not I'll play him along the others without any justification but who knows !


Here he is moving/firing and praying the Emperor not to get jams and roll enough command points like any good terminator !



18 comments:

  1. Okay, not very dynamic in the pose and his "face" has a bovine expression, but he does not look bad next to his better comrades. However, you have paid a lot of attention to it and it seems to us that the colour scheme works - by the way, will it be a coincidence that you chose the yellow for the shoulder straps, just like the hydrant in the photo is painted?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the bulk of it really goes with how it feels in game so I love that.
      I just had to find a picture of a yellow fire hydrant to match my terminators of course. ^^

      Delete
  2. Wow, I remember these terminators as absolutely awful models, but you've done a great job! The black and the wear on the yellow really make him look less like a lump of plastic. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it wasn't for a challenge, I would never have thought of painting one since they were filed in the horrible models drawer for me. I have to say it has several redeeming parts and it conveys this sense of weight and cumbersomeness you get in the game.

      Delete
  3. Sometimes a great paintjob can really make an otherwise lackluster model really come to life. You have absolutely succeeded in this task!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's nothing great here but just efficient enough to show it doesn't take much to make it look ok !

      Delete
  4. Oh, I may keep a couple of these somewhere. Well, you made the mini look more than decent, and that's *the* challenge! Good job, man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not that big a deal after all, there's no trap in this model

      Delete
  5. Sorry guys, but this an is absolute classic figure! I know he is not dynamic by today's standard but still one of the Emperor's finest. Right, now I need to go and rummage through the plastic pile to see if I still have one to paint. Great paint job obviously helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes painting to fully know a model. I stand corrected !

      Delete
  6. Very nice work on such a blob of plastic :). Have a few of these somewhere but never though about painting them. Nice too se one with a good paintjob!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think many of us just assumed it was just a poor model but like often, it takes painting to truly know a model ! You've turned some really questionable ones into gems yourself !

      Delete
  7. Nice blue effect on the power fist with the added bonus that it contrasts well with the yellows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, it's a lazy effect really but it does give the illusion !

      Delete
  8. You did a wonderful job adding grit and texture to a miniature that can sometimes be a little static.

    I wonder whether you should create a new Space Marine Chapter... maybe the Space Hydrants?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've painted quite a few terminators and only have scouts left to tick off the list but red fire hydrants roaming the corridors of a space ship is something that appeals !

      Delete
  9. when it comes to classic figures, especially from the rogue trader days, I love seeing space Marines painted up as anything other than the four main SM chapters.
    great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, it's why the scythes of the emperor were a cool chapter, they have old school cred since they're featured heavily in space crusade but they also have something niche and rarely seen going that I like (and the colour combo works well I find).

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...