Wednesday 13 January 2021

Imperial Robot UR-025 - Blackstone Fortress

 

Hey everyone ! So new year's all about good resolutions right ? Well there's one I clearly didn't realise last year and it pains me a fair bit : painting the whole Blackstone fortress content !

I had only painted one model so far, Janus Draik, and that was more than a year ago ! Yeah I know...
So with a few lockdowns under the belt and probably a few more coming, I really want to up my coop game capacity and my interest for the game hasn't vanished so I need A PLAN.

Well the plan is going to be pretty simple actually, I'm going to shoehorn a Blackstone Fortress (BSF) projects every other project I paint (more if I feel like it) with the aim to get everything from the corebox done by the end of the year at worse.

Now I've known for a while I wanted to have the heroes done first and I knew in which order I wanted them as well so following the initial idea, here's UR-025, an *COUGH* Imperial *COUGH robot.



Now while I really love the studio paint job and how utterly un40k it first looked, I decided to go for something else, using  classics from my usual palette to be fair but trying to go for something else. Maybe HO3N's current obsession with transformers has somehow influenced me lately...

Transformers Optimus Prime Convoy Masterpiece MP10 figurine: Amazon.fr:  Jeux et Jouets

Anyway that's 2 out of the 9 heroes done and I have plans and order for the following. The good part too is that the chaos villains will fit right into my larger chaos 40k plans so that's a whole flock of mutatedbirds with one (black)stone.

Now look at how conveniently well scaled UR-025 is next to a Rogue Trader era robot... Good job Geedubs, good job...

 

 So what's it gonna be next ? Anyone ? I know ! I know ! To be honest I'm going to try and channel that good resolution feeling for as long as I can to clear my desk from long neglected projects so don't expect great surprises but cool stuff nonetheless !

 

22 comments:

  1. Awesome colour combination on the Robot!

    I can't wait to see what else you paint for the Blackstone Fortress gubbins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll keep a rather individual approach for all heroes but the villains will be tied visually I think, I'm eager to see how it all pans out !

      Delete
  2. Wow! This model looks fantastic! Very impressive color choices. It's giving me inspiration for a project I was working on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice, can you tell what it is ? ^^'

      Delete
    2. Sure! Sneak preview: I have a RT Castellan robot who will stand in as a Genestealer Cult Aberrant. It's primed blue right now... so I was trying to figure out how to make him pop a bit more. You gave me some ideas!

      Delete
    3. Well nothing like cross pollination !

      Delete
  3. Very nice job. I like the bone and bright red combination - really brings out that modern mass produced aesthetic (like a toaster or car) which is a nice contrast to the gothic styling that 40k usually has.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I twisted my usual colours for a clear orange to channel a bit of retro look, I'll opt for different palettes for the heroes unless I want to tie some together.

      Delete
  4. That's a great colourscheme. I love the bone colour. It makes the robot look like an antique. It's a regret I never picked up any of he BSF stuff, it's so cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 44 models sure need some stamina but I think I can do it in small chunks, Ill try to move out of the old habits on some of the heroes, thanks !

      Delete
  5. Nice choice, he's very dark. Clearly not new, but not outdated either. Wainting for the next hero now (eldarii ?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just painting the 3rd hero, it won't be the scout, that's all I can say !
      Thanks mec !

      Delete
  6. So jealous. Great insight into the Robot. I painted him a very boring monochrome. It never occurred to me to break out the plates with colors like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a trick I tend to overuse so y'know ^^'
      Thanks !

      Delete
  7. I aim to start my BSF this year. Watching your progress to steal ideas and to dream I hit a similar standard (or even close)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a few of us want to move onto that project but have somehow been a little overwhelmed by other stuff ! I hop we get a set painted and some games actually played !

      Delete
  8. Superb work JB, I've had this project on for 2 years now, dying to play and just like you putting the work in here and there. I recently finished the explorers and have now just finished the Ur-ghuls which took about an hour which was a nice surprise. On the FB BF group I asked the question on painting order of the hostile minis by appearance in game and they suggest painting traitor guardsmen, ur-ghuls and spindle drones will keep you going for the first few scenarios.
    great stuff
    J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, your heroes are what got me to take the primed models up to the fornt of the desk !
      I think we'll have a similar progression, bit by bit, the order for the villains weems like what I'm going to do.
      Looking forward to seeing your Urghuls !

      Delete
  9. Unexpected and lovely colors, nice-looking weathering on metals as well. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, the colour scheme seems to have won general approval ! ^^

      Delete
  10. I have always been a fan of your use of muted color. So I know when you do use bright colors it's for a good reason. Lo behold ... the use of the vivid orange here works very well. Super work sir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ! I know I want reds/orange to be strong and vibrant unlike many other colours so I usually them more saturated. I'll try and invert that scheme of mine once to see how it looks and feels, glad you notice those little details !

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...