Wednesday 15 May 2019

A knightly Shelter


Alright people, now here's something a little different. A few years back, I claimed I wanted to use the imperial knight kit to make something fun out of it. Well as slow as I am, I can also be a stubborn one sometimes and the idea never really left my mind.
If you don't know what I'm talking about just take a look at that brilliant picture from White Dwarf #133 :


Nah, I said take a good look :


And yes I'm the kind of idiot who looks at the scenery when shown three Slaanesh warlords.
Here we are ! Now like anyting epic scaled, scale is totally messed up. Titans models should be twice their size and if you were to place troopers next to that village they'd be twice bigger than the storeys.
But I don't car, the idea is so cool and evocative !

I just love organic architecture with layers adding one onto another like what you find in old cities and what you can find in the manga Blame ! :


A good example could be Mr HUlot's house from "Mon oncle" by Jacques tati, several layes of construction fusing different parts together in some weird manner :

Image associée

Now the scale of the imperial knight is not fit to put a whole town in it but I knew I could fit a whole house and outpost in it with a bit of tweaking. I think an old steel giant abandonned and used as a shelter is an invitation to more stories, the giant has no engine or weapons left but it could still be a valuable item to people or an important target.
So I tried to add as many layers on top of it as I could, with the idea to make it as playable as I could obviously, meaning compromising and finding the right balance. It was the occasion to use Pcard a and plastic profiles a lot too !


Plenty of the addon bits were either from GW, or Fogou miniatures (check out their Kickstarter) or the Trash bash Kickstarter.
Painting was pretty straightforward and way less of a hassle than I would have thought ! I approached a very similar method to the one I used on my Fogou Fort.
Base colours, washes and then heavy weathering and it was good ! 
I really considered painting it like I painted my Epic knights earlier :


The (not so) new knights are heavily inspired by those to be fair but copying that paint scheme would have made this piece too eye catching when my purpose was for it to blend in with the rest so I opted for muted colours and neutral tones in the end. (And I didn't want to aknowledge my sweet knights could end as junk)



The size of it makes it really difficult to photograph though and I couldn't get any better opportunity than having it on the table where we played last WE.


I've kept the model seperated above the waist to make painting and transport easier :


There are plenty of little details here and there like this barrel fire with teal light LED simulating a fire glow inside !


I'm thinking about adding more details to it but it integrated pretty well with the rest of the scenery and my mate Adrien's as well so for now I'll just leave it like that until I have a bright idea on how to make it better. (I also happen to have other knights... )


Anyway, that's quite rewarding to have this thing ticked off the list as it 's been a WIP for quite a while now !
Now back to BOYL preparations !

41 comments:

  1. Its a great idea and execution! My only thing would have been to make the Titan shell stand out a bit more from the building with a stronger or bolder colour, perhaps a spot colour or less weathering on the torso? Inspirational as always though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was definitely an option I considered, it was either making it stand or blending it as much as I could, I opted for the latter though because I didn't want the shelter to be just "added" but it would make sense to do as you say I reckon.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I know right, but what about the model ? ;)

      Delete
  3. That is absolutely brilliant!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Veeeeeeeery nice. I thought of using them in a more Miazaki-esque way and build them as a walking house made of many bitz. A grimdark version of Baba Yaga's hut. Something like that.
    A great piece of scenery, and an awesome modelling inspiration. Be proud, you rock !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have two more of them ^^
      This could lead us somewhere fun ^^
      thanks mec !

      Delete
    2. That is definitely another great idea! Grimdark sci-fi Baba Yaga?! I love it. Maybe make a grav version of her flying mortar and pestle too XD

      Delete
    3. a walking house is definitely something to consider for ash waste nomads I reckon ^^
      Stop giving great ideas, I only have a little hobby time in a week !

      Delete
  5. I was a bit on the fence at first, but I think that you did a good execution of the concept in the end. It certainly gets my vote now with the lived in details and weathering completed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The details are kind of hard to notice at first sight, there's an AC unit with a pipe running from it, there's a hose on the side and a battery for the crane plus several little details that don't show unless you pay attention. I also added ladders anywhere I thougt someone could climb and made sure there's room for bases in plenty of places. Having seen it on a table with other scenery and models around, I think it's right as it is although I might add a few details some ay if I get the proper idea. ^^
      Thanks for the input ;)

      Delete
    2. I have no doubt it will be great fun to play around with the thought you put into the details and movement of minis. It's also being quite unique, a nice landmark style building for a narrative objective.

      Delete
  6. That is a great piece of blended terrain. Although how would you classify it? "Post-Apoc" doesn't fit 'cause the entirety of 40k is post Apoc....
    Maybe, "Post Post Apoc"?
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say the apocalypse is still ongoing so maybe just apoc ? ^^
      Thanks !

      Delete
  7. JB that is awesome! I'd never noticed that terrain bit, and I think you did a nice job creating it from the inspired pic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well there was plenty around and it was in no way the central piece last WE. Glad you like it mec !

      Delete
  8. Everything you touch turns into gold. I hate you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done sir! That is an absolutely fantastic use for a model.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the only way I could use such a big model I reckon !

      Delete
  10. This is awesome! It immediately makes me wonder how the knight was damaged, how long it's been there, and who on earth would want to make their home in it! A really clever terrain piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are exactly the question I want people to think about !

      Delete
  11. Very nice, I like the background from WD133 through to execution. A great idea and one wonders whose home it is....

    ReplyDelete
  12. That turned out really well. Like yourself I was fascinated by the re-purposed knight in that epic photo. The idea of making it into 28mm terrain is inspired.

    I too was unsure when I saw the wip shots. Like so many projects though, seeing it finished and on a table among other terrain, it looks brilliant. I personally like the way it's rusted and blended into the structure built on it. It takes a split second to go 'Holy shit, that's a knight!' It's outline is softened by it's new use.

    A real terrain centerpiece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still believe you guys had a point with the WIP shots and it could do with more detailing, it's perfectly gamable as it is now though.
      I could see myself doing more ambitious projects of teh sort if room wasn't that big an issue !
      Thanks for the feedback ;)

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. I'm surprised I haven't seen any before but go and take it ! ^^

      Delete
  14. I had never though of this and it's fucking brilliant. Congrats, seriously!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah cheers mec ! I thought this could have been an idea of yours !

      Delete
  15. This is a really left field conversion here. Loads of fun, giving off a Star Wars Episode 7 vibe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In doubt I'll take an episode 7 vibe like a compliment, an episode 1 would have been considered like a slur ^^
      It is an odd idea but I needed to make it tangible. ^^

      Delete
  16. A fitting shelter that is consistent with the world that knight operates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, that's pretty much the biref I had in mind !

      Delete
  17. Très bonne idée, ça fait un décor bien sympa et qui plus est original.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Je développe la table par touches mais je vais pousser dans ce sens visuel je pense. Merci à toi !

      Delete
  18. I like this a lot! Old mags give great inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...