Tuesday 14 November 2017

Warhammer underwolds Shadespire - Steelheart's Champions


Guess what I'm back with ? Well there's not much to guess with a big picture to open the post but yeah, I've painted Stormcast. Again.
After trying Shadespire at my friendly local hobby shop, I had a really good time and immediately saw the opportunity to play this one with my non wargaming friends (the weird kind who like to play games but without miniatures only).
The bow set coming with 8 models and the bands being set as they are, I also knew there was little risk for me to say... start an new army or that kind of non sense.




Not having to paint an army is well and sound but I still had to paint the bands. Now As soon as I got the bug, I knew exactly what I wanted them to be like :



The black moon chronicles are always a good source for good characters and nice colour schemes.

Now of course, some of my fine friends suggested I tied those with my Champions of Law. Everything made that a good idea :
- The champions of Law were born as a twist to Age of Sigmar
- The colours would suit them perfectly
- With little effort I could have another unit for Dragon Rampant

Yeah but see, I see the Stormcast and Champions of Law as being no better in means than the Chaos they fight against, they just do it for a better cause or at least that's what they sell.
No, I wanted the real deal, real good guys, lawful good paladin who'll tear their cape to make bandages for those harmed, who will give their gold and food to those needing, that kind of disgustingly good character. Because I like that.
Oh and also because it would prevent me from thinking about painting more to fit with the Champions of law and I just couldn't get myself to paint models like in the box. That's the kind of rebel I am.

So here thery are, Sigmar's finest, I have to say I was puzzled by their body proportions and style. I still have to get used to how hair is sculpted on new models and I still cronge with some undercuts in plastic models.

Severin Steelheart
 Those guys are also HUGE, I mean, I first thought it would take me a couple of days to paint 3 guys in steel armour but the size of them and the number of details, edges and all makes them far longer to paint with my style (entirely built on vintage lead).
I'll have to come up with something else to paint others in that style really.

Obryn the bold
This set is a good start though since it's the smallest so far and all the characters have individuality and style.

Angharad Brightshield
 Another new thing for me were scenic bases ! I've never painted any because I'm lazy and I want every model to be based the same way. Now here the models are meant for Shadespire and Shadespire only so I thought I could just go to town and have so fun !

Just look at those bases with just a quick wash over a grey undercoat !


I've tried mostly all the techniques I could think of on those, ground tea, birch seeds, pigments, I wanted something autumnal to contrast with the blue hues of the models.


Like very often I did rush them in the end as I'm not used to spending so much time on models and I really thought they'd take no time. I know I coudln't paint a Stormcast army just like I wouldn't paint a Space marine army but I'm really glad to have those done though.

Now I had big plans for this month's painting schedule but everything has been jeopardised by the arrival of some weird fellows.

More soon. ^^

41 comments:


  1. WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF TOMORROW!!!

    Good job on Steelhearts posse. They are fun models, certainly some of the nicest Stormcast released to date.

    On some level I am pleased that that three of them took you a while to paint A-man. It makes me feel a bit better about how long painting Stormcast takes for me.

    There will be a second Shadespire Stormcast warband released soon, Vanguard, the guys with the pelts. Do you reckon that you will pick those up? Will you paint them the same way if you do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, I didn't know about those new Stormcast but unless they are really different I don't see myself getting more Stormcast, I'm really keen on getting the undead though. ANyway, I would have sworn I'd never paint Stormcast in my life so who knows ?

      Delete
  2. Heresy! Loving it :) Incredible job on the silver armor of the models. My set is in the mail and I was actually planning to go for black armor and red capes, but this makes me want to go back to steel armor (and red capes, I like red). (Also painting black as it turns out is still not quite my thing, but that is another story).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking about a red armour scheme but black and red would surely be a winner.
      I'm eager to see your team !

      Delete
  3. je les préfère largement dans ton schéma de couleur que dans celui proposer par GW. très beau en tout cas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah merci ! J'avoue que ça me disait moyen de refaire un truc déjà vu donc j'y suis allé sur un thème d ebon paladin à l'ancienne !

      Delete
  4. I love the cool colour scheme on these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are marvellous JB. The bases are gorgeous and the steel armour and cool palette of the Stormcast works great with the warmer bases. The weapons effects give them a nice pop. I'm clueless about what way to paint mine. I really dig Shadespire warbands giving you a nice taster of so many different factions that you can also use in AoS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did consider painting those with a red armour with a bit of weathering to give them a more roman vibe, it could work well. I aslo like the opportunity to paint small bunches of models in another style without caring to make them fit with anything else. Of course making them part of something bigger does have some appeal but I like to see this project as a stand alone thing.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Told you I'd get them done !
      The khornate's will be quite something but I have something else before that. ^^
      Cheer smate.

      Delete
  7. Oh wow! They look beautiful dude! Really love them painted in your style. I'm having problems trying to figure out what to do with the Stormcast I have laying about the place and now that I've got Shadespire it's really bugging me because I can't decide what to do with them...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think since they're exagerated as they are, you have to go with something strog as well. I've opted for something real shiny and DnD like but something real gritty in a blanchitsu style with weird stuff leaking from their eyes and all could be fun, since it's a board game, having them in a very limited palette centered around a strong colour could be fun. I'm sure you'll come up with some cool idea.

      Delete
  8. I really like the very cool colour scheme with the steel and the various blues, as well as the purplish red. I can understand the appeal to having a complete game ready to play with non-miniature gamers too. It will be a neat looking set once finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I need to find a simple and effective way to make the khornates work now !

      Delete
  9. That is some excellent paintwork JB....I really like the color schemes you've chosen. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. First time I've seen Stormcast and actually liked them. The greyish metals of their armour looks far better than the typical golds that I've seen. Makes me think of the Gladiator film for some reason.

    Whilst I'm not about to get into yet another game/system any time soon, the undead faction for Shadespire has some REALLY tasty sculpts. I could see them being very nice additions to your undead fellows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The undead are the pick of the bunch for now I agree. I'll get them probably when I'm done with the Khorne guys.
      Thanks !

      Delete
  11. Très beau pont avec les Chroniques, les socles sont très sympas. Sinon, pas vraiment d'avis sur Shadespire car pas encore joué... de nos jours, il y a tellement de jeux que je ne sais même pas si j'aurai l'occasion d'y jouer un jour :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oui je préfère çà aux mecs tout en or (je les préfère oldschool les mecs en or).
      EN club tu devrais trouver qqun pour te faire essayer une partie, franchement c'est marrant.

      Delete
  12. If you're not sold on AoS, but you like Shadespire, I bet you'd enjoy some WHQ Silver Tower- it gives you a nice cross section of the new models, but has some of the old flavor.
    I had to pass on Shadespire for the time being (though the Skaven and Undead look interesting) but I may pick up some of the models for my WHQ collection.
    Incidentally, those Sigmarines came out great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually picked the box minus the models for Silver Tower but Bits n' kits didn't feel like sending anything or even caring to reply to dispute procedures or any mail about it...
      Anyway, I've been advised I would enjoy it. This time though I was more drown by the game than the models, I'm glad to have those painted but I can't say I have much will to paint anymore. ^^
      Thanks !

      Delete
  13. Love these guys, JB. I’m not sure which bits you ‘rushed’, the look great to me.

    Great tarnishing on the painted metal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the glowing effect is rushed as well as the jewels and I wanted to add a bit more stuff like maybe a bit of rust in the armour. I'm eternally unsatisfied anyway ! ^^
      Thanks mec !

      Delete
  14. nice job!
    and the bases are just great!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. The contrast you achieved (base vs figure) was excellent. Wonderful work man!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Superb. Those frosted weapons are especially amazing. I've never seen that effect before, and it is very evocative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matthew, wanted something different with them than what we usually see !

      Delete
  17. Great work! I know what you mean about the new models taking longer than anticipated to paint. Best to think of them as vintage lead Ogres and plan accordingly.

    Reckon the bare-headed guy's hair is windswept or gelled?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are ogre sized but the ratio of detail/empty surfaces is not the same as on old lead, the same methods don't work for me here but that's a way to learn and get better so that's fine.
      The hairdo is cool, it's just the lack of texture in the hair (both on his head and helmeet that challenges my comfort painting zone. ^^

      Delete
  18. Beautiful! I still can't seem to get metals to pop like that contrast wise, and how you guys paint those tiny rivets...and eyes...and...!

    ReplyDelete
  19. PS you know about the Facebook Shadespire warband comp?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ! I just tried to give as much contrast with heavy shading in some places and pure silver in some others !
      Which page is the comp on ? ^^

      Delete
  20. Absolutely brilliant, I’d love to see what you would make with a Bob Olley sculpted Stormcast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mind blown ! The very concept of Olley Stormcast is giving me chills down the spine !
      Thanks !

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...