Sunday 18 June 2017

Bullock Jet bike


BULLOCKS ! As you might have understood, this post will be 0 non sense...

So... Bullock Jet bikes... You know, those weird jet bikes with no handlebar and absolutely no consideration for health and safety, an utter ode to danger and bad assery :

Those bikes are partly why all beakies looked like they were trying to take a poo.

Well our good pal Mr Papafakis has decided to update the concept with a scratch built version of his own to match this most excellent illustration by Pete Knifton (and brilliantly coloured by Brian Roe) :

Check out Brian's excellent post about Pete Knifton

Now with this, Papfakis managed to build those babies here



Check out the whole process, it's very interesting to see the well documented progress and thoughts behind it. You can check them HERE.



Now painting wise, well I wasn't sure about how to procede with this bad boy here hence why it took me some time. I was kind of excited to paint it as a Rainbow warrior like the one I painted last year but I also kind of wanted to have my own chapter since I have a small force of beakies.
Of course I opted for the third way.

I completely shamelessly used the colour schemed I had used for my inquisitorial force just because I knew it worked and thought it woud be fun to have it on such an oldschool model.

Yes, it is a pair of testicles hanging from the rear. I had no choice.

I went with a very weathered look on this one because I really dislike neat marines, because the home cast had imperfections (and believe me it's a great cast considering what a hell it must have been to cast) and because it would echo Papafakis' style of painting.


I do have a couple of original Bullock jet bikes so I have no idea what i'm gonna do with them now, I suppose they'll still fit humans well so that's how i'm gonna use them.


What's coming next ? Dunno... Zealots ? Site engines ? Terrain ? Space ships ?

Probably one of those or something entirely different. Que sera sera.

28 comments:

  1. Very funky! It's great to see the reimagined bike next to the original puny metal one. I'm very fond of this black with orange and blue scheme. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lazy choice really but it works and it's done at least !

      Delete
  2. Nice alternative to those horrid standard flying bases. How I hate those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me about them, I have 2 space fleets, painting a third... :/
      Wanted something a bit more dynamic and evocative for this guy.
      Thanks !

      Delete
  3. Really nice! I'm currently painting a couple of squads of the original Bullocks, and they're really awful casts, and so tedious to batch paint!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking at the ones I haven I can say I'm not eager either... they'll be cool with the appropriate PJ though (which will likely involve a lot of weathering as well) !

      Delete
  4. That is brilliant! Love the paint job - suitably grimy and weather beaten.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No time for make-up when you're a marine in RT !

      Delete
  5. I like the basing a lot. I've ended up basing a squad of flying Sisters of Battle like that. I'm impressed how much the converting and painting fits the original style. Mr Papafakis has done some great work - I'd never have made a spaceship from a nerf gun if it hadn't been for him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I have to say I'm impressed by the work and ideas to scratch build such an engine, it's out of my abilities !

      Delete
  6. Awesome and totally old school. Marine jet bikes simply need to be a thing again in 40k. Also, I appreciate the link to the Knifton article, that was a fun trip down memory lane. Those images definitely were a foundation for my love of this hobby. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, land raiders are flying now so no doubt the bikes soon will !

      Delete
  7. Isn't there a jetbike race/game/thingy in this years BOYL? I'm sure I remember reading about it for the Hellsreach setting they got going on.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's part of why I bit the bullet and painted it ! Oh and I couldn't face Papafakis without it painted too !

      Delete
  8. About bloody time JB, I've seen that thing languishing on your painting desk, in the background of your WIP shots, for far too long now sonny Jim! :DDD

    As I mentioned somewhere else, the base looks great, a very dynamic look, screw those clear plastic bases! I used them for mine, coz I couldn't be arsed making a proper base, but I cut them down so the bike looks like it's skimming just above the surface.

    Your right, the rough and ready paint job suits it. I like the racing stripe theme too, is that so it'll go faster in the Helsreach race? It won't matter, those testicles will just be used for target practice :P

    Top shit JB, see ya in the soup :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm quite happy with the pose, it does make bikes more interesting I reckon.
      I just could bring myself to face you without this bike painted and ready for a game !

      Delete
  9. Damn nice job, you certainly made it look dynamic. The paintjob is pure joy, it's fun to see how well it fits a RT model, which one would think would be asking for a 'cleaner' aspect. Absolutely cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, RT is all about guys smoking fags and 5 o'clock shadows, stupid outfits and worn out equipment, the cyberpunk element is essential. Hence the weathered look.^^

      Cheers !

      Delete
  10. Mate, that is straight out of the RT Rule Book! You might find the colour scheme 'safe' but it works brilliantly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's safe because I had used it elsewhere but it doesn't mean it's not fit for the job on this one I guess ! ^^

      Thanks !

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. I hope to get him on Curtis' table this summer !
      Cheers mate. ;)

      Delete
  12. That is spectacular! Really takes me back to the old Rogue Trader days. Great bit of nostalgia, and an awesome build!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ! We'll be having a jetbike race during the Oldhammer WE in Newark this summer, it will be fully retro !

      Delete
  13. "Very weathered look" was THE correct choice. It looks twice as good on your lovely pastel color schemes. Super job sir!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...