Tuesday 21 February 2017

The Sultans of the night - Direwolves



Hi all, just a quickie today. Yesterday night I've managed to knock 4 models at once !
Well OK, they're probably the most easy models to do...


I've got my hands on this bunch of oldschool wolves (some of which are from Kev Adams I believe) and got them done in a night.
Both Frostgrave and MOrdheim can use wolves so once again I'm ticking a few boxes with these.

Painting wise, it was a very simple job.
From a black undercoat :
- I drybrushed the whole with german grey from PA (a very dark neutral grey which is one of my favourite colours to use.)
- Another drybrush with mechanicus grey but only on the upper half of the body
- another drybrush of light grey at the very top of the model and on raised areas (face especially)
- Nuln oil wash all over the model
- Highlights around the face
- light Sepia wash on the upper half and a light blue wash on the lower half, crimson wash around the mouth.
- Teeth and glowing eyese
light grey drybrush alo,g the spine and top of the head.


- Basing 
- done

all of these are very quick steps which will most likely be dry on the first model when you're about to finish the 4th. The longest step was letting pigments dry on the base actually (which could have been faster with a simple hairdrier session).

At a point I really hesitated painting them standrad eyes but my good friends helped me overcome that lazyness wall and I'm glad I did the eyes red. They fit the other models better this way and have their own charm like that.


Now I'm reaching the point where I have almost all I need for this band although I will paint a few more things for the sheer joy of it. I have something VERY different coming... well maybe not that big a leap after all... I'll let you judge. ;)

25 comments:

  1. Your pals are rights : the eyes are perfect and suit the pack much better than normal eyes would. This is quite a band of death loving guys you have now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, there's a lot of life in these undead for sure. ^^

      Delete
    2. Hooo, nice one ! ^^ They sure look ready to go for some blood !

      Delete
  2. The extra effort on the eyes was very much worth it. They could have potentially been rather flat and lifeless, but the eyes have added a real supernatural menace. Excellent results :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funnily (or maybe sadly) enough, the photos don't show the different colours in the fur which were intended to make the sculpt a tad less boring. You were right to get me to do the eyese red. thanks !

      Delete
  3. The eyes work for sure. Thats extremely rapid painting too, nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, well, they're just mainly fur with a few teeth and a pair of eyes each so not really a challenge. ^^

      Delete
  4. Dayum son those looks baller! Simple yet most effective. I might have to try those red yes what colors did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some dark red from GW, mephiston red (GW), cadmium red (PA), fireslayer orange (GW) and a dot of white. I honestly could have taken a little more time and done them better but you know how it is sometimes. ^^'
      Cheers Brah !

      Delete
  5. love these JB, you output is hardcore lately.
    The Nuln Oil wash is it neat or watered down?
    J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Nuln oil was used straight from the pot (which I rarely do), I normally prefer to thin black paint with medium and water for that effect but Nuln OIl worked well in this case (just darken everything a tone or 2 down).
      Thanks man.

      Delete
  6. "Nice doggy, please stop eating my face.....aaarrrrrr!!!!"

    Cool mate :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool, and very useful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice job, these Direwolves look superb, impressive...and dangerous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great sculpts, washes and drybrushing help a lot !

      Delete
  9. The eyes did elevate the direwolves to a higher level. Sometimes the simplest details make a significant difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it was for my lazy self only they might have ended up the plain boring way but good friends helped me overcome that and do them right !

      Delete
  10. They look very scary. Terrific work on the eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. O those are so right for your undead team. Really like the sculpts too. Red eyes was a genius idea, cudos indeed to the Scalecreep team for that idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ! It did make the difference. 😊

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...