Thursday 19 January 2017

Ghoulish servants


Still working on a project that require a lot of stamina, I'm treating myself with pauses like these guys that are just fun to paint.
Following my last post about the vampires, I actually lied. Bad I know.
It was for a good cause though, honest.

Amongst the many potential candidates for this warband I wanted to know which could actually fit in a Mordheim Roster (I know things are easier to shoehorn into a Frostgrave one). 

I have to say I was quite astonished by the list actually and the limited choices I had : basically ghouls or zombies.
Now you can see below my zombies are those good old C18 Zombies of old. But then I really wanted to use the guys above. I've decided to use them as ghouls which aren't supposed to be dead (I know). I think these guys will be former servants that were offered eternal life for their loyalty (AKA eternal slavish obedience). Devil being in the details, they probably should have read the small lines...


The 2 miniatures on the left are actual Mordheim zombies (traded the others away foolishly) while the one on the right is your average headlss ghost from the night horrors range.
Painting wise, I've just used the very same palette as on the vampires without the pure black and without fancy stuff.
I have to say I'm a bit gutted by the OSL on the torch which looked excellent right before I varnished... That's life I guess, and it's not like it's the leader or anything, I won't complain if a mere ghoul is not at its top really.


I've traded some models to add some rotten meat to the band but it's already getting pretty pleasant now. There should be some fun additions soon. Only problem being I'm already starting to think in Dragon Rampant terms now...

Oh and by the way, here's what I've received today ...


2017 looks like it's gonna be fantasy heavy (in modelling terms at least)... Coud be worse I guess ^^'

33 comments:

  1. This is a side project! Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merely a palette cleanser... ;)
      Honestly, I can only work if I have many projects at once to avoid any kind of monotony. I have another projects where I'm working on 11 models at once which is more than my stamina can handle so these guys help me keep the mojo and that's another project ticked off in the end. ^^

      Delete
    2. I know that feeling... great work on these too, they look excellent!

      Delete
  2. Always loved that headless night horror. I have him somewhere. It's a great looking band you have there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The details are really fine on such a small sculpt actually, quite impressive. Thanks ;)

      Delete
    2. and btw, welcome back to Fantasy! ;-)

      Delete
  3. I don't think I've seen blueish skin like that before JB, but it really, really looks great! It suits undead flash better than the normal off white or red variant.

    Lucky duck, you've got your Diego mini's before me :P I'm looking forward to getting stuck into mine when they arrive. I was so tempted to get that bull daemon, he's ace! But I had to watch my pennies :( You gunna RT him up? Or use him as is?

    Cheers mate :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blueish skin is more a graphical choice than anything really, the C18 zombie is more like rotten flesh actually looks like but it's not as easy to read !
      The bull daemon is a beast and I have to say I didn't even consider converting him. I'll enjoy him raw !

      Delete
  4. Lovely selection mate, and I love that skin tone! Very cool :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, quite simple but it leaves the other colours speak I think. Thanks !

      Delete
  5. These are wonderful additions. Your red is absolutely glowing, beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. O yes, these fit in just nicely with the vampires as Ghoulish underlings.

    This is turning into quite the fun project. Can't wait until you expand their number into a Dragon Rampant sized force! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it wasn't planned but I remembered I do have some plastic undead just asking for this. Oh and not to mention a Vampire riding an undead manticore...

      Delete
  7. Man I LOVE those zombies / ghouls. Just brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, I don't know what worth they'll be in game but at least they'll look OK !

      Delete
  8. That ghost is probably in my top 5 favorite models ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had it for a long time but only realised how good it is when painting it.

      Delete
  9. As others said, I love your skin tones. Ehrm. The skin on your minis. Ahem.
    Cool to know you got Diego's stuff! I still have to receive what I got. Eager to see what you do with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers !
      I have to say a couple of the models are going to be done sooner rather than later. ;)

      Delete
  10. I was actually quite drawn to the torch. I thought it turned out lovely! The rest of the miniatures are great too. I'm really enjoying how this warband is coming together. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it lost a bit of punch in the varnishing. I'm really excited by this project !

      Delete
  11. My witchhunters are sharpening their stakes in the hopes I'll be able to take this pretty warband on next year... :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some things are bound to happen have no fear !

      Delete
  12. Undead are my favourite Mordheim warband. Can't wait to see what you do for dregs and dire wolves! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was playing witch hunters until now so this will be a change.
      I have a little fun idea for dregs but direwolves will be quite straightforward tbh...
      Thanks!

      Delete
  13. Excellent additions. The earlier impossibly look even better now. An impressive group shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, same recipe all around so after a couple of them it becomes real easy !

      Delete
  14. That group shot is the business. Thats a fantastic force, well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm very fond of them and can't wait to play with them !

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...