Friday 10 June 2016

Not all traders are rogue...



Late post this week (not that I have a given day to post really) to show a model I had almost finished (everything but the scarf actually) for some time now.
The conversion has also been sitting on the table for quite a while and with the recent hype about Abdul Goldberg; I had th eperfect occasion to add this guy to the group of models I was painting (I tend to paint in batches because I'm a firm believer of Taylorism applied to painting).
If the base for the conversion seems familiar, it's because it comes from Mydas the Mean, one of the Dogs of War special characters during the 5th edition of Warhammer.

I'll let any ethnic stereotype aside to concentrate on the model. It's not in a fighting pose which is always something I like and for once it's got a fat belly which is another good point since most models look like they're built the same way anatomically speaking.

To make the model fit in a sci-fi setting, I had to take care of a few things so I got my skitari sprues ou (best purchase I've made in a while, what a fantastic kit) and made a quick head swap with the addition of a few bionic elements.




Päinting wise, I've kept things simple, the skintone is voluntarily matt to echo the clothing style and the clothes are simple but give a sense of wealth hidden under a worn-out and poor quality (to conceal his wealth a bit).

What I really like about this model is that he's modelling speking, the excat opposite of my Abdul Goldberg, what is plastic on one is metal on the other and they complete each other in a pleasant way. I do think they fit well with one another and I like to think both have deeper connections... 



Having a trader after having a dorf robber only seems natural doesn't it ?

Now since we're talking about Abdul, I had the chance to take part in a challenge and have my model judged by Rick Priestley himself. Here's what the legend said about my model :

"I was intrigued by the headpiece - and then read the excellent blog with the accompanying pics of Sikh's - and I thought those Chaos Dwarfs were over the top! A lot of thought has gone into this chap, both from the point of view of the background and the modelling. I just love the way he's reaching into his pocket as he races away from the scene of yet another escapade. It's beautifully painted too, the spatters on the coat are an inspired touch and - does he have different coloured eyes? I enjoyed the background yarn, with its nice little twist in the tale. Totally in keeping with the character I'd say. First class job."

The challenge wa finally won by Evo from Port Imperiale but I git the chance to get a sort of second place :

"This entry was the other model and overall write-up that really appealed to me – and quite honestly it was touch and go for overall fave – I loved the action pose and the paint job on this one – it’s very different from the first pick – but just as impressive – see how tough this judging stuff is?"

What more could I ask really ?


Right now I'm working on several projects at the same time (4 actually) which imply about 20 models at once (plus vehicles and monsters). Of course being my usual self, to relieve myself from the burden of so much projects, I'm adding stand alones (single miniatures) in between now and then just to break the monotony so I have good hopes to have cool stuff for you soon ! ;)

The summer holidays are nearing and with them the end of the sport season and kids going to tehir grand parents so I should get some spare time to get on more ambitious things... 

33 comments:

  1. I couldn't have hoped for a better outcome for that model than to see it turned into not one, but two great conversions :D Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I could have built a vehicle too out of that one but hey, time and energy savings right ?

      Delete
  2. Excellent! and congratulations on the (almost) win ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, some second places taste sweet don't they ? ^^

      Delete
  3. Very nice. The face and belly makes me think of Lord Harkonen ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I realised that afterwards yes, a little bit of Dune is always welcome right ?

      Cheers mec ;)

      Delete
  4. Very nice JB - I like the olive skin, and the worn coat makes a lot of sense fluff wise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, a man of taste like you can appreciate little details like that. That's nice !

      Delete
  5. Jolie cohésion d'ensemble JB. J'avoue que ce petit challenge Abdul Goldberg m'a inspiré aussi pour lui adjoindre quelques amis. Affaires à suivre... :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci à toi, j'avoue avoir adoré les diverses propositions et si ça nous amène plus d'aventuriers du future de ta part, alors c'est la cerise sur le gâteau !

      Delete
  6. That's an excellent conversion of the model. I agree I like the idea of non-fighting poses, I think it adds a little more narrative to a character. Out of interest, which Skittari boxed set did you buy for the bits?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, variations of poses and style are important I think, if everyone is in a dramatic poses, noone really is...
      The skitari box I was refering to is this one :
      https://www.games-workshop.com/en-NO/Skitarii-Rangers

      Delete
  7. C'est excellent !! ^^

    En voilà une très belle conversion très bien peinte !! ^^

    Un très bon recyclage plein de personnalité, bravo !!

    Serviteur,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci à toi,
      C'est pas le grand jeu, plus une petite récréation entre de plus gros projets mais je ne me lasse ps de ce genre de personnages. ^^

      Delete
  8. Very characterful! And yes, he does fit nicely with Abdul. Keen to hear about the connections you hinted at (surely the basis for some madcap scenarios)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ! Sharing each parts of the other had tpo make them look good together. I already have a few idea about how to link those 2 but I suppose it will be an interesting relation given the nature of them. ;)

      Delete
  9. A very fine conversion JB - just the sort of trader / merchant you need to sell you some only slightly worn lasrifles or a pair of servitors of dubious origin!

    The conversion is nice and subtle. I'm with you on large bellies - can't beat a nice fat miniature ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're on the same page but you're ahead as far as realisation goes ;)

      Delete
  10. Love the conversion JB...you are quite the whirlwind at the moment! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers buddy, I'm the tornado of souls !
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lcm9qqo_qB0

      Delete
  11. His belly makes me feel like this fellow requires many hugs and adorations from nieces and nephews. (Can't imagine he's got [legitimate] children of his own though.) Kind to those he shows love for, but manipulative of everyone else in the name of... profit. (Very Farengi)

    Congrats on the 2nd place. Evo's effort is indeed splendid, though I feel yours was the better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words ! I have to say I absolutely love the description of tehe trader above, it is completely fitting the character as one can imagine him, spot on !

      Delete
  12. It's was a great competition, the standard all round was very high. And I'm not just saying that because I won ;)

    That's a great pair of matching conversions, btw love the trader, very simple but effective!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree there were a lot of excellent ideas all around, people really played the game and made their imagination work.
      Cheers mate !

      Delete
  13. I really like that one, simple but brilliant conversion. He would make a great Harkonnen, wouldn't he?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just read the comment...I see others have made the same link ;-)

      Delete
    2. I suppose he could be a distant relative to baron Harkonnen who got into trading rather than planetary domination ;)

      Delete
  14. Another gem of a conversion mate - skillfully and tastefully executed. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Headswap and sticking a couple of decoration bits really ! ^^'
      I believe in the power of simplicity (and lazyness).
      Cheers !

      Delete
  15. I'm really pleased for you JB that you got such glowing praise from THE man himself. I think I'd consider that I'd have 'made it' if I was fortunate enough to receive such a compliment from Mr Priestley.

    Out of curiosity, did anyone ask Rick who or what the Abdul character was originally based off of?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the thing is that there's actually nothing behind Abdul and the name itslef was just made to be confusing and look like the archetypical villain.
      Rick was really nice to comment throroughly all entries (24 of them) and take the time to read blogposts and all. A true gent.
      Cheers mate ! ;)

      Delete
  16. I cant keep up with your output at the moment Asslessman... Im missing posts all the time at this stage.

    Nice work on Abdul and Goldberg both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should always check my blog ! I can barely keep up with it myself ! ;)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...