Wednesday 1 October 2014

Orctober the second.

I have been waiting for this, I have been preparing for this. I knew it was to come . Unless you have read the title of this post, you may be wondering about what I am talking about. Well, the answer is easy : Orctober.


I have participated in last year's orctober and I have to admit it has been kind of a revelation for me. 

Erny "oldhammer superstar" from the most excellent Erny's place has launched that event that year and brings it back to us this year and it shall be one hell of an event !


I've never been a huge greenskin lover (I don't even think all orcs and goblinoids should be green) but painting a bunch of orks in a typical 40k 2nd edition (red era style) was an absolute pleasure which was also greatly augmented by my discovery of Waargh the orks.

Discovering a rich new (for me) race with a fascinating background and painting green for a change has convinced me to paint at least once a year some orcs or goblins.

Just to make things a little symbolic, I've decided on painting 13 orks and snotlings just because I was born on the 13th of October. So By now, All I can say is that there are 10 orks and 3 snotlings which will be painted by the end of the month (hopefully) for this very occasion.

Just to get a little more old school than last time, most of the models will come from these pages :

picture from Solegend
Picture from Solegend
I'm planning on making it a new warband for my Rogue trader setting and they will come with their own background story and characters.
I'm not planning on winning anything, I'm just here for the fun and sharing (and the proper excuse to paint outside the box really).

Wether you are a stubborn orc/ork fan or just looking for something different from your usual stuff, why don't you just o straight away pay a visit to Erny to tell him you'd like to join ? You know it's the right thing to do, you know it's orctober.

12 comments:

  1. Well done sir extra Teef for getting the first post in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First after you !

      I'v ebeen looking for something to paint for the occasion during a year and only found something worthy last month thanks to Phreedh. I really mean to change a lot of habits with this event, not only the fact I'm painting orks but I'll try to paint differently or something, I want it to be my "out of the box" challenge.

      Delete
  2. I made the rather incorrect claim at BOYL that I'd never painted a greenskin. Seems like my memory deserted me, as I did paint an Orc Blood Bowl Blitzer for someone else last year. Notwithstanding that slight error, I don't have any painted greenskins in my collection. Perhaps this is the year it changes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the time is right, my first was last year (almost). Orctober is a good way to keep things under control. One can use it to have some little green holidays with a model or more and then keep the serious proper painting for the rest of the year.

      Delete
  3. I'm headed over now. I plan on actually painting something this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well just paint one model in a month and you win, that seems an achievable target !

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Merry Orctober to you too ! Any special plans for the occasion?

      Delete
  5. Good luck with your painting project - I'm looking forward to seeing the results! I've always wanted to paint some of those great Kev Adams Space Orks - for me, because of the introductory scenario in Rogue Trader ("the Battle at the Farm") those Space Orks (along with the plastic Space Marines) are the very essence of Rogue Trader. Waargh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hanks a lot !

      It's really funny how these sculpts don't seem that appealing at first, they're really small and tight but once you get to paint them they're actually really nice with lots of good details.
      I agree these scream RT to me with their mischievous look and though I won't have enough to play big battles, I hope to get them in some skirmish games against the other teams !

      Delete
  6. I have five Ork Boyz I hope to get painted up to finish out a squad for Oldhammer in the NW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well the boys you painted earlier kinda inspired me to get rolling on those RT orks myself. Since I use Orctober to paint something different, I've also decided to add a lot of yellow which has always been the colour I hate the most (be it to paint or more generaly) I hope it will be a good way to get off the tracks !

      Looking forward to seeing your boyz !

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...