Hey everyone ! Here's something a little more colourful and lively than some of what I've painted lately !
Back in 2025, my friends Doti and Seán from Katsina Miniatures released this wonderful set of space frogs and I immediately got my hands on a set. Now of course the paint queue is capricious and I have to admit I was a little scared by going onto something colourful and frankly out of my habbit zone. They got all the muted colours done until recently when I felt this as the moment and I just dived right in.
I sort of organically found a way to make them colourful but still tied by using a couple of key colours to tie them and leaving areas with more desaturated tone to not make them overwhelming. I did want them to have some striking colours because I rckon that's part of the identity their creators put in and I didn't want to betray that (I'm seriously considering painting a couple in much darker desaturated tone just to test).
So I gues we should obviously start with the boss, the Bizaza noble on his flying throne, very pleasant guy to paint, lots of nice textures to help the painter and a good balance of details and flatter areas
I obviously had to take the 2 nobles together to show the journey of the range !
Now the standad bearer was the one I dreaded the most with this wide blank area, a real blank page stress as you could take this one in s many ways !
then I decided to just go full Liberace on this guy because Space frogs surely can accomodate some extravaganza !
then I decided to just go full Liberace on this guy because Space frogs surely can accomodate some extravaganza !
It quickly clicked and I knew I was onto something then it all fell into place and this one might now be my favourite of the bunch, an absolute delight ! The crystal gun is brilliant, that mix of advanced but arcanic tech is just great.
Now this one is a little special, it was designed a long time ago when our group of friends was still new and we were mostly if not all in our 30's stilll... it's the reason why it's full of little easter eggs like a fimir head, a Law symbol and other bits which got him the nickname of Slann Solo
Here's one of the many sketches that lead to his present design :
Now this one is special in the fact it echoes the unreleased Space Slann sculpted by Trish Carden
And finally the perfect sidekick for Slann Solo, a pigmy frog I decided to paint in a much bighter colour to hint at a possible venomous skin.
I couldn't resist taking some of the old Bizaza out for a family reunion !
And obviously some Rogue Trader slann as well to show how they blend with one another
And because the whole range is a family thing, I had to make them face other models designed by a friend with scenery from a great person as well because that's just extra nice !
I hope you folks like them as much as I do, I had a great time painting them and lifting me up from dark desaturated places, if you're looking to put your hands on some of those sweet models, head over at Katsina miniatures !

No comments:
Post a Comment