Monday 12 February 2024

Ondryel - Eldar Farseer

 

So this is month 2 of my painting challenge, doing an Eldar army in 6 months and although I completely missed the great plan I had built and the optimal list of entry, I still managed to paint one of the entries.
Now I originally meant to paint Eldrad Ulthran himself (well the model, not to use him as the big daddy) but poor planning, a global shortage of green stuff and late deliveries meant I had to adapt to still make it and therefore I picked the original Farseer, an absolute classic by Jes Goodwin of course.
I still do mean to paint Eldrad (and I actually started painting him) but I need to focus right now and that meant finishing a Farseer.
Since I already knew I wanted my craftworld to be predominantly red, I must have been influenced by my little addiction of late : warhammer Tacticus, this is in no way an ad or anything but I've been playing Gacha games for a while and although I ditched them all last April, I did fall into the trap to play one based on the 40k franchise. I'm not a big player or a whale but I like mindlessly clicking to get stuff during my breaks so long story short, the game has a very useful Farseer which surely has influenced the paint scheme and definitely inspired my Farseer's name !


The painting process wasn't enjoyable much until very late in the process, undercoating with wraithbone under negative temperatures wasn't a smart move, clogging all the details wasn't either and experimenting with mixes of constrat paints and Vallejo Xpress colours as I went was the final nail in my coffin, the deadline and malaevolence of my comrades did motivate me to just finish it and as often, I finally made peace with it. I'm not proud of the paintjob, it's not anywhere near what I would want it to be, especially on a Goodwin model but you the saying, done is better than perfect.

I considered giving the robe some freehands and fancy stuff but not only was I running out of time (this was finished the day before the due date, but I also wanted to keep the fancier attire for the fancier farseer. I migt come back to him in the future though and maybe add a little thing or two, I'm really figuring what I want to do with the army as I go.


So despite being a real mojo killer for a while and not being a great paintjob of mine, I do love the little guy now I've cooled off a bit. Weirdly enough, I continued not following the plan I had set at the start and after painting month #4's entry in second, I'm now painting the entry for month #2 on month #3 just because I had forgotten about my clever plan. *HEAVY SIGH* you live you learn right ?


Whatever you're painting or playing, I hope you're having fun !

11 comments:

  1. Don't do yourself down. The model looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it's OK and at tabletop distance it does the job well enough, I'm just a little frustrated because the process wasn't as enjoyable as it usually is because of the failed undercoat and the time pressure but that's on me

      Delete
  2. I really like this miniature, especially how solid and un-graceful he looks. The insect look of his helmet is really cool and it's a shame that GW didn't keep that style. Anyway, I think you did a really good job of him. The red and freehand are particularly nice. FWIW, I did a version of him for my 2nd Ed Eldar a while back: https://inaworldofpaint.blogspot.com/2022/10/farseer.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm biased and can only see the fauts on this one butat least it's doing its job. I'm not sure it's an disgraceful model, it conveys a sense of old age to me which is nice and fitting, far from the more aerial and martial look of the rest of the line.
      Your version is nice, colourful, more ambitious than mine for sure !

      Delete
    2. I think it's his robes and cloak that make him look quite solid to me, but then it does make him look older and more thoughtful. I remember a really nice farseer in an old White Dwarf, many years ago.
      Thanks, he's a fun model to paint!

      Delete
  3. I think you're being too hard on yourself, the paintjob looks really great. This mini is a favourite of mine, and I find it quite enjoyable, your work looks amazing on it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It all falls on the ruined prime coat really which built up frustration but thathappens I guess, Thanks mec !

      Delete
  4. One of my favorite models from the eldar line. I really like what you did with it, and think it looks fantastic. The shading and blending really looks outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I tried to be extra careful with the red robes to make up with the failed undercoat I guess !

      Delete
  5. Great work mec. I like that you persevered through it and got the job done. Life is too short when you have so many Goodwin models left to paint :)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mec, this army surely won't be classically neat so I guess it's ok and done beats perfect !

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...