Friday 1 December 2023

BOYL exclusive Merc and Necromunda Spyrer Matriarch

So I've started a lot of projects lately and obviously, before starting them I decided to start yet another ! Now in my defense, it was also to close another, which was painting all my BOYL exclusives ! Worth taking the time right ?
And the last model on the list was this fantastic space merc captain by none other than Bob Naismith. And it was in my top tier even before painting it! 

Now I knew from the start I didn't want this guy to be a stand alone and I had greater plans for him. He obviously has everything you want a space pirate to be so I thought I needed a model to be along him in a Captain/First mate relation for Stargrave. Then I saw that old Necromunda Spyrer matriarch and thought they were the perfect macth, both looking old, one burly and the other quite skinny, one sharp and the other blunt, they were perfect.

And like often, some great inspirations came to me building on this strong dynamic duo, and there's a trope I've always loved which is the leading mom at the head of a bunch of idiots :

Disney has the Beagleboys and Ma :


The Dalton brothers in Lucky Luke have their Ma as well :

The sky pirates in H.Miyazaki's Castle in the sky have Dola :


Futurama has Mom :

And Cowboy Bebop has Maria Murdock :

So that really was the plan and that immediately put her in the captain position and him as a first mate.

For their background, i'm seeing kind of a group of former unionists gone space ecoterrorists doing bounty hunting and occasional pillage on the side to survive, I reckon they rebelled againts the big corp that was enslaving them and had to flee.
It's with that in mind I painted them a little more on the cyberpunk side with technical gear rather than giving them a uniform look. I tried to use as little metal as possible to reflect that (in hindsight, I could have painted her blade like his in a NMM style)

I have a whole selection of fat idiots to give them as a crew, from all sorts of places and they'll be a treat to paint I reckon ! You can see a selection of some just here :

Now like I said,  not only is this the start of a new band, It's also the end (so far) of a hobby goal of mine : always having the BOYL exclusives painted. I've had the only fully painted collection for a while and while I might not be the only one now, I'm happy enough to have them all done to celebrate the work of a bunch of fantastic people to make a whole community happy !


 Next stop on this blog is gonna be a whole different scale on many levels !
Happy painting to y'all !

16 comments:

  1. I suspect that the only other complete painted BOYL collection might be at Foundry, although possibly it doesn't include the French dwarf or the unofficial figures? Lovely to see them grouped together, and really excited to see this grotesque family of space pirates come together! They look great JB, fab work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a few extras indeed and I guess a complete collection would have those from other countries, I'm glad all the offical ones are done and that makes me even more grateful for all the work behind the scene to make them happen.
      The rest of the band might get delayed a bit by a few projects but with this headstart I know where I want to go so it should be fun and rewarding with hopefully some games at the end !

      Delete
  2. Call her CAPTAIN! 😅

    Laputa: Castle in the Sky is my favourite Ghibli film having seen the original Tokuma Shoten dub in 1988 (it was recorded onto VHS so it got several watches over the years). When Stargrave came out, aside from creating my Farscape-based crew, I also wanted to create Dola and her Sky Pirates as my second crew (I just need to find the right miniatures). 🥰💙🩵

    Your collection of BOYL miniatures is very impressive! It's a pity they're event available only 'cos there are a couple of gems right there, especially magnified with your fantastic painting! 🥰💙🩵

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      She will definitely be called CAPTAIN or maybe awkwardly MOM by some forgetful crew members (can you really blame them).
      Castle in the sky is one of my favourite Ghibli movies, so much to dig for inspiration.

      Delete
  3. Oh, most excellent! Those BOYL exclusives are a great bunch, and Ma Leadkettle's gang is going to be great! There's some really fantastic stuff in there. Love the Olley pirates, of course. They'll be a great fit. I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ! I won't be using any of the Olley pirates for this band, they look too fit and nice, I really wanted the most unhealthy ones in my band !

      Delete
    2. I apologize. You're quite right! I thought the chubby fellows were from the Bob Olley Ironclaw range, but they're credited to Bob Naismith and Mike Perry. My bad. I love those chubby guys, whoever sculpted them, and I want to get my hands on them! (In my defense, I think all the pirates I have from the era are the Olley sculpts, so I just assumed they were all his. I love them all. But I would really like to get ahold of some of those chubby pirates.)

      Delete
    3. I've painted all the Alien looking Olley pirates but have yet to paint any of the humans, my only criteria for the crew members was a high BMI !

      Delete
  4. Great work on these! That pirate captain is a treat - I wish I could have gotten my hands on him. Loving the crew concept as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, he's definitely one of the best BOYL models and that says a lot !

      Delete
  5. These are really nice. The two go together really well! I must make it to BOYL soon: it's a shame there aren't more oldhammer events near me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I missed a few episodes and dearly miss attending, seeing everyone and having fun games !

      Delete
  6. Those last two photos alone show just what fantastic work you do ... love the whole set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot ! They certainly show the work over a long time since the oldest model in those is 10 years old !

      Delete
  7. Yes, I love your work, Fab stuff !!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...