Monday 24 July 2023

Chaos Cultists (an unhealthy number of) - Blackstone Fortress and Dark Vengeance

Hey all ! I'm pretty sure we all have in common the fact that our desk has works in Progress that have been here for ages right ? Well for the past few months, I've tried to clear my desk from those projects by finishing one after the other to both clear the desk and my mind from those and I have to say it's been a very rewarding process !
I usually paint in batches, I prefer to paint a squad than a single guy, it feels more fficient to me to open a paint bottle for a few models rather than for a single one, however, thee is a critical mass and my sweet spot is usually between 5 and 10.
My painting process usually involves blocking colours from the start to know where I'm going and be sure the scheme works but blocking all colours is a very dull stage and boring process that drains most of the fun to only reach what my friends and I jokingly call the DUPLO stage or the Shit stage. It's usually from that point the graphics change and the process becomes rewarding again, when you apply washes, highlights, paint details and all cool effects, It's how I prefer to paint but it does make me go through an ungrateful stage where I typically let sprojects aside for a while and that's where I've left a fair few of them over the years, right where it could have become fun again but I couldn't bear the models enough.
Now the cultists are probably the most extreme example of this since I've had the Dark Vengeance one on the desk pretty much since they were first released so that's well over 10 years ago !
With the huge Blackstone Fortress hype I got when the game was released, I thought adding its 14 traitor guards would give some impetus back into it but it just meant even more effort and so things stalled for another long while back to a few months ago. And since I had painted all the half painted models on the desk already, I only had those 34 left and couldn't back down so I did  pull the sleeves up and went for it.
What can I say ? I'm glad I did, I really am, they're not the greatest I've painted by a margin but after struggling against them for a decade, I eventually got to work WITH them. A lot had been done with contrast paints or slapchop style (before slapchop was even a term or trend) and I really only had a few details left to add and some washes to throw all around to give some definition to really bring those beyond the shit stage. I only took me a few evenings to do so to fall back to the fun part with selective highligts, details, bit of cleaning and all, all very rewarding stages so these past 2 weeks were 100% fun surprisingly. The experience was the same with all the half painted models I've finished lately so while I don't know if I could make it a general rule for everyone, I can definitely affirm it does work for me to just leave a model aside and come back later, maybe due to my painting process or psychology, probably due to both but It's brougt me closure and that rewarding mojo kick that drives my hobby (plus it really did clear a lot of space on the desk, removing over 50 models !!!)

Now let's stop talking a bit and see the models shall we ?
Like I said, They're definitely not the greatest I've done, but they're done and while some will stay in the back in photo shoots, I reckon some are good enough to maybe get a line or at least a big scene with the main characters !
Let's start with the Dark Vengeance cultists, you'll see I've mixed some Northstar Stargrave cultists head and swapped some weapons and heads with the Blackstone Fortress guards to avoid any doubles :

The leader in the middle is the second time I've painted this model and I have yet a third on the desk as we speak ! It really os one of the iconic models of the band and it still massively rocks a decade later !
His fanatic counterpart below is the same, second version of him and such a great model !


You can see I've opted for some camo greens and brown to keep the Imperial guard vibe and make them visually different from the reneagdes while keeping the distinctive blacks and reds to tie them in, I don't know if that's gonna work or if I should have gone for full black and red on them but that makes them much more versatile and opens several gaming options I want to have so it's the best call in the long run I reckon.


The Blackstone fortress guys show the decade of design evolution between kits and it's quite impressive, not that the Dark Vengeance have anything to be shy of apart from the obvisous copy pastes and mirror CAD. The Blackstone fortress models were trickier to paint though, not as easy to figure a colour scheme for, finer details. They're immensely classy though.


Now I'm getting real close to having painted the whole content of the box (4 years after the release I know) !


And that also means my characters will have an endless supply of villains to mowe before reaching the end bosses yeah !


One last big highlight is that with 34 cultists done and the previous commissare and psykers, I'm getting a solid base for a traitor guard to play in games like Xenos rampant and that's pretty cool !


I wish you all a happy summer and to get to experience the joy of closure on some old projects like I did, I would strongly advise for it !

16 comments:

  1. WOW! thats a lot of cultists. i can't get over the colors you use and tour painting style.
    basically anything that is dark and grim you really put an accent on it. awesome job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to desaturate most colours but red and using contrasts (the weak ones) and slapchop accuented that I guess, thanks !

      Delete
  2. What an inspiring post! I too suffer from the same hobby maladies as you with many projects sat with base colours and left.... for years cos applying base colours just saps my will to finish those projects.
    Is especially cool to see all these done though as I have all of these figs and duplicates too. Your simple head swaps, weapon replacements and easy arm adjustments make each and every one of these sculpts unique and interesting.
    Colours-wise I immediately got the "Guard" vibe, so mission accomplished there. It's also something I wanted to try with my own traitor collection so I am encouraged seeing your results.

    Seriously been enjoying your posts on the Black Fortress minis JB!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I hope it could encourage you to take some long neglected models back to the front of the desk to enjoy then !
      thanks a lot !

      Delete
  3. Congratulations JB, really great effort to push all of these through. Painting volume like this is my least favourite way to paint, so I'm in admiration of anyone who has the willpower to do it. Really like the little pops of red, orange and purple against your camo greens and browns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon, I remember your 40 rioters for BOYL and like you, this is not the exercise I like the most but I guess I just need to learn from that (until the next time I forget).

      Delete
  4. Very nice work! I've just painted 30 old termagants and that was enough detail for me! I like the green colour - it ties them into a military background They look slightly like Star War Endor troops who've turned very bad. It's a very cool horde of models and I'm sure they'll look great getting mowed down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Endor troops turned evil sounds great to me and you can bet they'll be mowed like hay !

      Delete
  5. I am overwhelmed by the scale of this achievement! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Overwhelming was the one feeling throughout the whole process !

      Delete
  6. Man, the sheer amount of cultists here is amazing. Pretty nice job on getting them all finished and looking so coherent, which is such a thing with these models!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look good. I've collected cultist models or counts as cultist models for a long time, before Dark Vengeance. I've only gotten about 10 done so I plan to bulk my squad up to at least twenty based on the latest 10th Edition rules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could have added the later blackstone ones as well but good thing I didn't ! I still have cultists love in me but never again like this !
      Good luck on your quest !

      Delete
  8. joli lot de mutants ! Par contre, ta technique de peinture m'interroge. Tu as essayé d'en peindre moins simultanément pour ne pas te dégoûter d'un lot complet ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. C'était une très mauvaise idée, on va pas se mentir, j'ai commencé çà il y a longtemps avec les 20 premiers, j'étais foufou, je pensais que ça le faisais puis j'ai décidé comme un âne qu'ne rajouter pourrait me donner la motivation. A la base je préfère peindre des groupes de 5 à 10 bonhommes plutôt qu'un par un mais là c'était con de ma part, j'ai appris au passage et c'est fini au final mais à) ne pas refaire ! ^^'

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...