Sunday 1 January 2023

Warcry Scions of the Flame


Happy new year everyone ! This one is starting ON FIRE ! Well I actually finished those on the the 31st of december but taking pictures and everything between too much food and beverages meant they're airing in 2023, at least I'll start soon enough with painted models !
Like often, I'm a bit (very) late on some trends so I'm only painting my first real band for Warcry now although I did get the models right when they were released. 

Those models immediately caught my attention by having everything I like and an added challenge on top.
For some reason, they felt familiar until I realised they seem to br drawing from 2 concepts I absolutely love :
The disciples of the red redemption (pic from Solegends)

The avenging knights of the cleansing flame (pic from Solegends)

Both are old regiments of renown from the second edition of Warhammer Battle with one being a bunch of Khornate worshipers who tend to stick red hot metal masks to their flayed faces while the others are Lawful servants who wish to cleanse the world from the taint of chaos with flames, sounds familiar ? Look at the waved blades and flames, it's like the scions are the synthesis of those two regiments... Oh but wait, they are actually one band to begin with which splits into two mirrored groups !
I might be seeing more than there is but I like that relation and in my head canon they're totally the missing link.

Building wise, I've gone for the least fragile builds so left flails and morning stars aside for axes and blades.


Like usual, I've avoided looking at the box art to make them my own. I used considerably more warm colours than the official ones but keeping the regiments of renown background in mind, I've deciced to give everyone dark or matt skin tones (with the exception of the albino priestess).

The Blazing lord is an imposing character, I love the dark nobility of his pose, he's menacing but not over the top, everything I want from a dark leader.


With very similar gear and stature, the brazen champion is an amazing sculpt and a delight to paint, it's got just enough dynamism without being silly, the heavy musculature is perfectly rendered and I love the bottom heavy style he share with his boss.


The immolator is another big hit of the band, its hulking presence, the feel of force of nature, you really feel there's no hope when facing that guy.


The inferno priest is probably the oddest member of the band hence why I treated her with a different skin tone and made her sort of an albino to show her natural inclination for magic.


The fireborn offer a nice counterpart to the big uys while conveying the same energy, a sort of cold blooded hate contrasting with the firy rage.


And finally the initiate with their bare feet and will to show their worth, I find the range of characters excellent from gutter dwellers to princes of hatred, like an equal opportunity band of maniacs.


With those first 8 models done, I'm wishing you all the best 2023 possible, a lot of happy painting, gaming and heart warming hobby !
This blog is reaching a huge milestone and I'll want to celebrate that but more on that later !


12 comments:

  1. The miniatures look amazing. Happy New Year! All the best, Karl

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's fascinating how you managed to connect the new GW creations with the miniatures of the oldhammer world of the eighties. Does Warcry's warband have a lore comparable to that of its "ancestors"?
    We like the palette you used - our favorite is the Blazing Lord.
    We wish you a "bright" 2023!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be honest, I don't know a damn thing about the AoS or Warcry lore, I'm making pure assumptions on look alone 😁
      Thanks a lot !

      Delete
  3. Wow, these are all awesome. I love the palette you chose and how you treated the skins and the flames. Gorgeous work indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was afraid of all the flames and knew I didn't want to spend ages on them, I think the process I came up with was easy with a good enough result
      thanks mec !

      Delete
  4. Fantastic looking squad. I really like the darker skin tones. I've found a more "bronze" skin tone is tough for me to paint, but you nailed it. The bronze armor and flame effects are really cool as well. Great way to start off the new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, the bronze effect was much better before varnishing but I guess you live you learn !

      Delete
  5. Ah ben merde, ils m'avaient pas du tout tapé dans l'oeil, mais là, avec ta peinture... ça me tente !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pour le coup, il y a pas de loupé niveaux bandes Warcry mais celle-ci m'avait directement fait de l'effet et je savais ce que je voulais en faire, le dose de flammes par contre m'avait donné la flemme ! ^^'
      J'ai encore les bandes de la première boite, les untamed beasts ont un potentiel qui me dit bien

      Delete
    2. Je viens de les acheter. C'est entièrement de ta faute. ^^

      Delete
    3. AHAH, bien fait pour toi ! Je suis sûr qu'ils vont bien claquer dans ton style en plus !

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...