Thursday 19 May 2022

Ork Nobz in 'Eavy Armour (Or Mega-armour or whatever)


Nobz are the bestest boyz of any waaagh, they're big, mean and are probably the closest thing you can find in ork culture to a concept of reliability.
That's why any good benevolent ork boss would want them protected in the best armour possible. It's also why the meanest malevolent ork boss would want those in the best armour possible.

Now just what armours are the ones above wearing ? That might seem like an easy question.
THINK AGAIN. It is not.

See in the old RT days, everyone had the same armour types which means the best armour orks could have was a simple power armour.
Then came the transition to 2nd ed and the concept of Mega Armour was introduced so orks could have their terminator armour... But there was no model yet so the 94 catalogue cleverly seperated power armours into two categories :
You can see how both definitions potentially match all armours. The ambiguity IS MAXIMAL.

Then these came out :

You can see how they're totally a new version of the same concept... But they de facto become the right mega armours.
All of which to say I'm still unsure how I'll play those, as power armours in Rogue Trader obviously, probably as 'eavy armour in 2nd ed games or maybe as mega armours, depending on my opponent I guess.
My brother James has had the very same issue with his so I might just stick to his version :

Check his big wenis rodeo


Now modelling wise, you can see there's a bit of conversion work here and there to vary the modesl as much as I could to avoid any double, a bent arm or a weapon swap, sometimes a bit more :


Now the boss is probably the most elaborate conversion and I have to say I'm quite happy with the armorification of this Blood Axe boss I have to say !

Now I had a problem with him, I had lost the pointing finger minigun and had to replace it. I was looking at the usual finger replacments like chainsaws, guns or weapons like you do :


Until someone in my hobby chat suggested this :



I'm not sure I deserve them but I try to be a man of my word. Fast forward a few weeks painting a lot of yellow, here they are :


Yarork was always the odd one with his very pragmatic approach and curious fetish. Some hoomanz are allowed in the clans because they're a kunning way to reduce casualties and get an insight in the opponent's strategies but Yarork went further than anyone before him by claiming Yarrick was actually an ork with a skin handicap. His main point being ol' bale eye is the most brutal human ever facing on ork.
So Yarork adopted every trait of his idol, using stratagems that were too kunning even for his fellow Blood Axes (although most of the time they'd only rely on extreme brutality disguised with a fake intended result). Yarork was outcast and joined the Red Sturz were his sacrilegious views were soon accepted and his kunning (sheer brutality disguised) appreciated.


So despite being another ork entry, you can see far too much thinking went into this new mob... I'm still very glad to have them done though and always feel happy to see they add up to all the rest. I'm going to take a break on yellow a bit but I don't feel any fatigue from orks and I'm already thinking about the next entries !



27 comments:

  1. These are great, but your Blood Axe with the finger puppet is just inspired. I can imagine the pepper whispering strategy into his ear to validate the boss's plans! None of the ladz can argue with it of the commissar thinks its a good idea!

    It goes without saying that I love the look of this force. They're simultaneously perfectly orky, but unique-looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jon ! I hope to somehow find a way to get them on a table with your models as well !

      Delete
  2. I was thinking that these boyz looked great, but then I saw the puppeteer. Brilliant stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a huge fondness for that goofball 🙂

      Delete
  3. Wonderful painting, sir ! I love those old orks, and yours are top !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mec...that hand puppet just hit me right in the feels.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fan flippin tastic JB! Some real fun and cool Nobz. Great additions to the Sturz.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You just won the internet today. Best. Boss. Ever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That boss and his commissar are THE BEST! The colors are great for whatever you want to call the armor this bunch are in. I can't keep up with the GW name changes anymore either...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the sort of really dumb idea that either grows old imediately or keeps on giving and I suspect (hope) it's the latter, I have a huge fondness for that idiot !

      Delete
  8. Awesome stuff painting wise, they ooze malevolence, but that comissar ring is just brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's that sweet spot between malevolent, mischievous, goofy and all that I like about those orks and want to channel in this force so thanks mec !

      Delete
    2. I know you try to be mischievious, goofy and malevolent yourself. Dude, fear not, you are, and i love you for it.

      Delete
  9. Glove puppets are always a good thing in wargaming. I really like those Alan Perry Middlehammer models. Anyhow, it's looking like a very cool force!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've decided to go with mostly Adams orks in this force but I couldn't skip some Perrys to make the best of it really !

      Delete
  10. Your orks are always a pleasure to behold. Great work A-man :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers ! They're a constant source of fun to me !

      Delete
  11. Unas miniaturas icónicas, trabajadas con un gusto impecable. El pequeño detalle del "comisario orco, con su marioneta comisario", es una absoluta genialidad. Bravo, da gusto ver proyectos como éstos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm glad the boss was so well received !

      Delete
  12. Wow awesome stuff man. I've got an idea for converting modern nobz plastic models into power armoured versions. Been looking for ideas or if anyone else has done the same conversion but I can't find anything. I've started kitbashing a cataphrac terminator and a nob. You got any ideas or advise. Was thinking of sculpting the rubber joints between armour like on a marine but not sure if that will work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot !
      As for converting nobz into power armours, I believe you an rely on plenty of sources, one of my guys above has a bionic leg that's actually just a power claw. You could repurpose plenty of mechanical elements and join them with those rubber joints if you feel like sculpting them (I have yet to find the proper way to do it)

      Delete
  13. Nice post thank you Tameka

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...