Tuesday 22 March 2022

Crashed Aquila and Scatter terrain


Hey all ! Sometimes it's not about painting little models to your finest standard, it's about giving them a frame to shine in and a setting to tell stories in. Well today is about just that.
During one of the lockdowns here, I had taken all my scatter terrain out and started priming it and putting some basecoats on with some help and the lot has been resting in a box since then until a couple of weeks ago when I decided a sunday with bad weather was all the excuses I needed to finish it. It actually took me another lazy sunday afternoon to complete it but that's another 27 bits in the bank !
One of the main parts of the scatter terrain collection was this (almost complete) crashed Aquila. It's a great kit, one of the smart moves as a starter set feature. It looks great, takes a lot of space and can be played on easily. 
Now I already had a painted example from 2015 I had rushed to paint the day before an oldhammer event with the lads but to be honest, although I had managed to paint it in a sitting, it didn't look that good...
There's also another point which made me eager to paint that crashed Aquila, some friends of mine are into Aeronautica Imperialis and I have gathered a few imperial planes to play that so that felt like a good way to ties my 28mm world with my 6mm (or whatever scale it is) one, and it was the occasion to test the colour scheme !


Painting wise, I opted for three staples of my paints, PA stone grey, PA german grey and PA Cadmium red. I only base coated all parts with like 4 layers of thin stone grey to get a nice even coat. I threw a wash of agrax earthshade thinned with medium to pick the recesses and then highlighted this all with an ivory with light drybrushes.
I weathered everything in 3 steps then :
- foam weathering by stippling brown then boltgun on the edges most likely to pick damage
- very thinned juices of light brown then orange thrown where rust is most likely to be picked up
- some very light rust pigments applied with a white spirit
All easy steps that give a fast rewarding result, it was the most crucial point for me, I could/should have added a few decals here and there in hindsight but this piece is not about detail, it's rather crude anyway.


I very much prefer the newer version though ! Adding sand to the ground areas was also an important step to upgrade the look of it considerably.


Now amongst the other bits I had yet to paint, there were those 3 junk piles from the Mekboy workshop set which I now have fully painted (in three steps but still completely painted). I didn't want to pick all the details on this kit because :
a) it would be far too time consuming
b) I want to keep the detail and focus on the miniatures so tend to opt for less figurative painting on the scenery.

Another set of terrain I've had for a loooong time, Scatter terrain from Kraken wargames I had in a KS, I had already painted some of the barricades during one of the lockdowns and I thik I only have a dumpster and a few garbage bags left to paint !
Paiinting on these was pretty straightforward, rusted metals almost everywhere, rubber cables and tyres and a bit of furniture all blended with stains and pigments on the ground as undiscernable trash.



Now one of the best parts are these corner bits you can place in corners or against walls to decorate :


I only took the time to take a quick scenic shot to show the potential but I like that a lot.


Now latecomers to the set but cleaning a cast from Ramshackle, I was delighted to see the resin pouring chamber was used a scenic bits. Now that's something smart I wish everyone did instead of having us throw toxic shit instead of using it. It's actually so smart I've painted the casting chamber before the actual model ! ^^'


Anyway, that was a humble but necessary addition to the collection because I'm seriously in need of games with friends now !
Happy hobby to you all !

12 comments:

  1. Some fantastic scatter terrain that will for sure enhance your board. Some great colors in there! Love that crashed ship!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well thanks ! There's no such ting as too much terrain right ?

      Delete
  2. Brilliant stuff! It's great how the disparate pieces come together to make a coherent set of terrain. The cream paintwork of the crashed aquila really makes it pop against the muted tones of the rest of the scrap. Really nice to have a full table's worth too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I think the pigments go a long way to blend it all and really make it look like abandonned junk.

      Delete
  3. These look really good. The colours used fit the rest of your models and make the wreckage stand out. I like the shading on the metal, too, especially on the mekboy workshop bits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, honestly, not much was done on the mekboy parts, bt of stippling, washes and rust juice here and there, it's not about picking details but giving the feeling of a big mass of rusted steel.

      Delete
  4. Always regretted missing out on the Crashed Aquila kit. Love the cream-orange scheme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well they seem to pop now and then on trading place at a reasonable price still, I wanted a colour scheme tha made it stand out a bit more to show what it really is !

      Delete
  5. The most beautiful pile of junk I've seen in a while! :D
    Seriously, you made an outstanding job. The Aquila looks particularly awesome, but you put the right amount on detail on all the bits. Not too much, so they are not distracting, not too little, neglecting it. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, well I still have a lot of rubbish to paint so it's nice to have the method sorted !

      Delete
  6. Great work on all the terrain pieces! And that crashed Aquila has a Star Wars Rebellion Ship color scheme to it, at least to my eyes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might very well have been inspired without knowing !

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...