Monday 7 December 2020

Nurgle Plague Marines

 Greetings all ! As you've probably guessed from the header and title, well I'm still pretty deep into chaos renegades and thought I'd channel my current mojo into getting some of the core troops done !
I've been considering the Nurgle boys for a long time since I had an idea of how to I wanted them to be.

Now of course there's plenty of inspiration to draw from everywhere and there's no wrong way to approach those but there were a few things I knew from the start :

-I wanted them to fit my other renegades so black would have to be the base of them

-I tend to get a bit bored of green plague marines so didn't want to fall into the green Nurgle trope (again)

- I had painted  a lord on palanquin and a great unclean one already so wanted them all to fit nicely.

So that closed plenty of doors though. I just remembered Nurgle is meant to be a rather joyful kind of guy with his demons laughing and dancing at the futility of life and from good enough source material, I knew rotten flesh tends to be far more colourful so wanted to add this bit of grusesome joviality by having a few colours without clashing too much.

Illustration by Mark Gibbons

Now there are 7 Nurgle marines in the range and one of the heavy weapon one being distinctively Nurgley as well, making a total of 8. Now being the sort of idiot that I am, I wanted to round that up to 10 until I remembered I had a conversion from aaaages ago so ended if a number of 11 renegades...

Here you can see the converted champion in the middle, built from a Jes Goodwin Nurgle champion, scavvy head and Kharn's chain axe along two of the most leader looking renegades of the bunch. The plaguebearer head one on the right is probably my favourite.

In the picture below, you can see #1 and #3 aren't nurglates to begin with but I thought they'd fit the bill well enough ! I'm not exactly sure why a Nurgle renegade would hold a flamer when some of his colleagues fear flame weapons but I guess Nurgle isn't the kind of guy to worry for much if anything at all.

Now there are plenty of illustrations that convey the feeling I wanted my renegades to have, guys who are ruthless, brutal, gross but also carefree and fun, Nurgle is the embodiment of YOLO.
Illustration by Tony Hough
 

I really love that those renegades come in different sizes and shapes, with the 3 squatting ones different from their more physically impressive counterparts. Some of the sculpts have had tobe fixed with green stuff because teenage me did terrible things to them in the past. I do think it's a good thig though since the tentacles I sculpted on the heavy bolter guy integrate the weapon better than they used to.

 Keep in mind a good Nurgle force is always an opportunity to play your favourite tunes with armpit farts while rolling dices and that it's OK to pick your nose the whole time.

Illustration by Kevin Walker
 
Now this looks great, I should probably add a few demons in due time, I reckon a beast and a fistful of plaguebearers would hurt right ?

 
Oh and wait, what else could be great ? :) 

Illustration by Adrian Smith


 

20 comments:

  1. I think my very favourite elements on these are the milky diseased eyes - you've thought over everything! The inflamed and/or rotting skin tones are perfect, and your newest aspiring champion is an excellent conversion. Just a spawn, a couple of plaguebearers and some nurglings to go...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks !
      I hesitated with jet black eyes but thought diseased ones would look better in the end.

      Delete
  2. I know what you mean about Green plague marines. These are different yet still read immediately as PMs. I've personally always had a soft spot for the 2002 era PMs, but yours are just as menacing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really loved the 2002 ones and foolishly stripped a whole bunch which were painted and good enough to play !

      Delete
    2. I hope they make an appearance here once you dress 'em up again!

      Delete
  3. I've been thinking of doing some plague marines to go with my not-Black Legion, and I'll probably use a similar colour scheme of rusty, grimy metal for the armour. I like the purple colour you've used for the tentacles, and the blue has a nice contrast. They're a cool unit. Good to see one of the old artwork, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ! I feel like desaturating allows for a bit more colours and offsets the dark mass nicely, I want them to blend in the army and stand a bit at the same time, it's a tricky balance between all gods but I think I'm onto something so far !

      Delete
  4. Using some Paul Muller ghouls and muties would be perfect for your Nurgle cultists! :3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cultists probably won't be Nurgle specific but the Muller ghouls surely have that sinewy look to them that would fit greatly !

      Delete
    2. I adore Paul Muller's stuff, he just has this grotesque and twisted way of sculpting the human form...

      Delete
  5. Oh, ho ho, I simply can't understand how Plague Marines can be painted black... and look so good! It's simply something I could have never thought and blows my mind. Really exciting project, I love to see how you think out of the sandbox. Please more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well there ain't much black left with all that filth right ? ^^
      Thanks mec, that's a real motivation boost !

      Delete
  6. Thumbs up, full of character.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Comme t'es chaud cachaos en ce moment :) Le top des renegats de Nurgle, c'est celui avec le Nurglings sur l'épaule. Avec des cultistes ça sera canon :) Les miens sont proches de l'atelier de peinture. A+ Nico.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les cultistes seront génériques et j'ai prévu la masse (parceque je suis un peu fou) mais ça va bien donner ce côté bordélique ^^
      Merci, tes rénégats m'ont bien remotivé sur ce projet !

      Delete
  8. What an incredible cohesive force...stunning all around and I bet they will look amazing on the table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I have to say yours and Nico's have really motivated to get back into that project and move it a bit. I'm definitely aiming for mass effect on this one, they're a pretty impressionist bunch taken individually but I've been meaning to try that for a long time so I'm eager to see it pay off on a table !

      Delete
  9. Love the contrast between the light pinkish flesh and the rusted armor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feared the very weathered black armour mlight be too messy to read so wanted flesh parts that brought a bit of focus back ! Thanks !

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...