Monday 18 May 2020

Warlord titans - Epic!



Wow so that's another pair of big boys done ! I guess there is a good side to this lockdown after all (which ended last week for us). Now since this has been a great opportunity to finish models that had been way too long unloved on the table, I realise I simply had my eyes bigger than my stomach so breaking a big projects into several smaller and manageable ones was the right thing to do, that's how these two guys got finished !

If you're into warlord titans there's something that must have excited the inner kid in you : the weapon and heads options :

click to return to small image: cat1991ap119epictitanparts-01.htm.

 Just look at those design sketches !



Now of course people will either see the modelling opportunities or the hobby opportunities and maybe both but the fact is that the possibilities are endless !
Now while talking with a friend with good knowledge of epic, we were discussing real fun/stupid/nasty builds and there came the idea of a full barrage weapon focused titan, that was really appealing to me because it's a stupid build and it uses the deathstrike cannon head ! So I gave him that and a carapace landing pad (because you can use an assigned land speeder for for line of sight on targets) and all the barrage weapons I could fit ! And that's how my Expleta Mentula titan was born !

Please note that no matter how the deathstrike cannon looks like this :

and no matter what I tried to "gothicize" it, I LOVE it ^^

Now for the second one I REALLY needed to fit as many weapons on a single model and that meant one thing only :

I had gathered quite a few weapon options (still missing some like volcano cannons if you have some) and magnetised with al sorts of magnets depending on the size and weight of the weapon. I didn't magnetise heads because honestly it was going to be a mess (the fitting on all of them is different) but I guess a few extra hours would have made that possible...
That's how Johannes Factotum was born !


So here I am, owner of a lovely trio of warlords, I feel good enough to up the size one step up now and you know what this means don't you ? :)


Just look at those fantastic builds like schoolyard bully, disintegrator or mayhem champion :



 This scratches an itch I've had for a long long time so real happy to have it done !

32 comments:

  1. This is the titan force that I have dreamt about since 1989.

    Access to such a range of the add on weapons kicks it all up several notches, even if some are maybe less well designed than others.

    They definitely ratchet up the gothic aspect of the warlords, which is very desirable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That project is honestly a bucket list item I wanted to tick for my 12yo self's sake like Space Fleet and the process is really enjoyable as well so that's as good as it gets

      Delete
  2. Lovely new pair of titans! The reposing of the legs has added some real diversity to the group, along with all the exotic weapon and head options. The gait on the titan with the command head is particularly nice - he's steadily striding forward. I can't wait to see you get the big guy done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The reposing was necessary but rewarding, I'm almost eager to move onto the chaos ones!

      Delete
  3. This brings back memories of browsing through WD. Excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently converted a Warlord titan in my collection to have a deck of troop on the carapace. While working with it I really grew to hate the model! Your painting is making me fall back in love somewhat. Amazing job with the magnetization. Hilarious :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those models do have flaws and can be challening, I opted for a laid back approach in terms of painting and all, the idea was just to have them done and that's enough to get the full emotionnal reward ^^

      Delete
  5. Really spectacular work on these JB. I'm not up on Titan part availability...are these various head and weapon options difficult to find?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a real pain to get, I had a handful from my teens which I carelessly let go, found a few back and had to trade the rest (and other unholy things, there are plenty I would also like but I've been very lucky to have generous people around to help !

      Delete
  6. How in the heck did I miss all those options? Clearly I was not paying enough attention to the epicness. :D Lovely work, as always AM. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a point where I knew the blue catalogue by heart and those were amongst my favourite bits, when I finally got some of them I was actually surprised by how different they actually were !
      Thanks a lot sir !

      Delete
  7. They look great JB!

    As Jon already mentioned, the slight repose has made a huge difference. The colour scheme is pretty cool too!

    One thing I only recently noticed was that the rear of the sculpts is a bit meh. Did you modify the rear of them at all?

    You know my view on magnets, but in this case I think they're probably quite necessary, seeing as you change loadouts for different games? I'm just guessing actually, never played EPIC. I thought I'd give a go a few months back, bought a shit load of cheap lots, but I flipped about 95% of them after I thought it best to save my eyes the inevitable torture painting at that scale.

    One last question, what's that huge barrel thing on the back of one of them?

    Top marks old boy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't alter the rear but it is not the best angle for sure !
      Magnets are a necessary evil in this case if I don't want to end up with 20 warlords (I already have 3 more planned so you know... :/
      Epic is a pretty solid system (either SM2/Titan legion or netepic) and the models are way easier to paint than what one thinks because there is just so little detail so it's made for speed techniques and is very rewarding.
      The huge barrel is a fir control tower that just gives a bonus to hit (I'd ideally have lasers with it), the landing pad is pretty cool too as it comes with a land speeder you can use to target ennemies for barrage shots, loads of fun things to play with !

      Cheers mec ;)

      Delete
  8. Sweeet! Great idea with the magnets ... maybe stealing this one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go on, I'm real glad we are on the same wagon here 🙂

      Delete
  9. Dammit, I love them so much! One could say some of these bits haven't aged well, but the charm they all instil is almost unbeatable. Sweet job, really.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely work and very inspirational especially as I have a box of Warlords and various metal weapons waiting for some attention - I'm sure I'll end up cursing you though as I try cutting their legs up to emulate your brilliant modelling work ;)

    Can't wait to see the Big Boy done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go on, you know you want to!
      Cheers mec 🙂

      Delete
  11. I see that you're doing the good old "paint the parts separately before assembling". It's a tough process but as your end results show ... well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only painting the removable ones separately, I'm a glue then paint guy most of the time!

      Delete
  12. That’s awesome. Can’t really say more.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad to see you've reposed the legs on these two – all three in the same striding forward pose woulda looked like a dance troupe.

    Lovely work on the metal upgrade components. I've had to stay away from them as the "Gotta Collect 'Em All" behaviour would instantly kick in and twenty Warlords is a truly epic commitment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reposing the legs isn't really complicated to be honest and greatly satisfying, I'm bit a completist but with 3 imperial warlords and 3 chaotic ones planned I'll already have scratched that itch a fair bit (I hope) !
      Thanks mec !

      Delete
  14. Impressive, most impressive. I’ve gotten the epic bug too but getting ahold of titans is an expensive proposition. The twin missile pod looking arms are definitely imposing. Really fantastic stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a slow project but it's fun, I try not to spend to much since time works in our favour !
      Thanks a lot !

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...