Saturday 16 November 2019

Squigs - an ork's best friends ?


OK, so I might be in an orkish mood at the moment, after painting that dreadnought, I fell back to a long project (more about that soon enough I hope ^^) and although I've been enjoying it a lot, I gave myself a well earned pause to paint something else and not run out of mojo.
The subject was partly decided because of the dreadnought I painted earlier but also because I got some new models which begged to be painted along some more !
After receiving a parcel from Krakon Games, I just couldn't wait to paint some squigs !




Now I'm a late ork convert but squigs have always been a fun and appealing projects, I just never got the right reason (and does one need one really ?) to paint some but just look at the variety of them !









 Amongst the models I got there was this fine little Sump spider, so I quickly took my hair dryer to give it a better shape et voilà !


 So here's a first group with the sump spider, a Jelly and a private resculpt of an old grabber/slasher



Next are two Warmonger orc creatures I got at the Foundry a few years ago, being sculpted by Kev Adams, they seemed like an obvious pair to add to the group !


And now the proper original space squigs ! Those are absolute beauties and a wonder to paint, the legend says they were just by products from Kev not wanting to waste putty left overs, I don't know if it's true or not but I just find they're absolute gems !


In game terms I don't know how I'm gonna use them yet since I've decided to base individually but just as annoying critters in their masters' legs they're already a tremendous addition to the look of this force (totally not an army).


Oh and I came by a pair of wartracks I just couldn't say no to, my orks don't have much in terms of vehicles so I found these would look cool (totally not building an army).


I've also been granted this very cool scratch built gunwagon (minus gun) to finish and paint from Da Green One (cuz I'm not building an army)


So that's plenty of cool things to look forward to on the ork front !
But there should be some (relatively) bigger things out first !

21 comments:

  1. Awesome stuff, those squigs are just too cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post....Love everything about it! Kudos! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute! Squigs are fun to paint and nice to own. Ok, they pee on the floor and chew the kids' fingers off, but it's all out of love and you won't regret owning them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a father of two so my patience threshold has already ben extended beyond reasonable ^^
      Thanks !

      Delete
  4. My boy you so need to follow this link given your squig loving ways https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ixodois/ixodois-fantasy-creatures?ref=project_facebook&fbclid=IwAR2tKchnBZ48kHrHmA8up-wiRWKkwq90kHo1M7Bmzz2nEJlBdKrZP5iQkW4

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *puts his hands on his ears and sings loudly*
      LALALA LALA !
      (I really shouldn't be looking at any KS right now ^^')

      Delete
  5. This is a lovely selection of squiggly beasts you've got painted. Cool to see you've not gone for the standard red colours, and made these look birant and 1990s snaz with a "Monsters in my Pocket series 2" colour pallette.

    They're useful in games as wound markers for Nobs and other characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wound markers is an obvious choice indeed.
      For some reason the full red squigs are a fatasy thing, the space kind are more diverse in shape and colour (because of the Nids I guess).
      Thanks !

      Delete
  6. What a colorful bunch ... brilliant choice or colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, they're coming in an already colourful force but that suits them I believe !

      Delete
  7. Squigs were some of the most fin parts from reading those original Ork books. Love your paintjobs and colour schemes mate. They look perfect for the look you're going for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ! It's honestly a graphic style that's been built over time but I'm glad it's taking shape this way !
      We definitely need more squigs from Kev !

      Delete
  8. Glorious stuff – lovely diverse range of sculpts and eras, all expertly brought together. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny heh ? I love how a consistent paintjob can force many models into a coherent group !

      Delete
  9. Effectivement ils ont de la gueule ces petits monstres orks !

    J'ai bien hâte de voir ce que va donner cette non armée ork.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci mec, j'ai plein d'idées, pas mal de figs et beaucoup d'amour pour la suite, il va falloir prendre une photo de groupe aussi à un moment ^^

      Delete
  10. Every time I pass by this post when re-reading your blog, I feel a mighty twinge of envy. I love those old squigs so much and your paint scheme has done them proud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thanks ! I actually grabbed a few more since so with orctober looming expect something for them !

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...