Thursday 11 October 2018

Oldschool robots... or titans ?

Hi everyone, you might have seen those robots a short while ago in their successful kickstarter by Oldschool Miniatures, well I was lucky to be handed a few to paint !
This is a new collaboration between Oldschool Miniatures and Jason Fairclough from Thunderchild and this time they've decided to scratch therobot itch with a nice oldschool vibe to them !
Now I love these guys because they're all very unique, have a somehow "gothic" feel to them (in the grimdark acceptance of the term) and because they've been designed to fit several scales at once which is quite cool !


Now of course, being heavily into my titan force right now, I couldn't help but painting them as titans for Epic so I kept the excat same colours as those used on my previous titans. I did weather them a bit more though because their size makes them more akin to Reavers than any other titan. I'll consider them as "count as" revear prototypes (if I ever play this force that is).
I think with they fit just right in amongst the other guys and with some of the old knights around they'll be even better !


Now since they're not associtaed to any particular setting, why not count them as mechs ? right ? Seems fine to me !

And the best thing is that they can be excellent robots for 28mm scale games as well !


I'm quite pleased with those guys, Jason's designs are always really imaginative and characterful and they paint themselves so that's a big bonus !
While the Kickstarter is over, you can still get them at pledge price on the store so go take a look at those and the others available !

20 comments:

  1. Hey, nice work, and very quick too! They seem like they are well sized to be knights in the new AT, Reavers in the old one, and a great size for robots in 28mm.

    That last 'bot, standing with the inquisitor is my favorite, and one I will look for when they come to general market.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you have the scale right, they'll be perfect old school knights scaled for the new AT.
      Thanks !

      Delete
  2. So that's 203 minis painted for the year? Craziness. Slow down man, you're making the rest of us look terrible at this stuff. LOL

    Interesting designs, not really my aesthetic, but I like the way you've painted them up and actually surprised to see how big they were (I thought they looked more "Knight-sized" when I briefly saw the KS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought they were smaller as well but they'll proxy reavers just as well I reckon.
      Thanks !

      Delete
  3. Those are really nice sculpts and the paint scheme works well. I like the way you've used both strong bright colours and weathering. The lenses are great too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're more weathered than the other titans because they look more archaic to me. Weathering works fine to avoid bright colours to be too striking.
      Thanks !

      Delete
  4. Ooooh, these are sweet! They certainly have 'that' vibe. At first sight I thought they were smaller, like the old Epic Knights, but they are a pretty nice surprise. Really cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, and I have the old knights planned as well so it will be pretty cool to have both along one another !
      Thanks !

      Delete
  5. Holy Multi Purpose Batman!
    With your paint scheme, they totally work in both scales...
    Have you actually played with them in multiple scales yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's more got to do with the sculpting than the painting. I've only finished them yesterday and I have yet to play a game of epic so not for now but I sure will give them a proper start on a tabletop rest assured !

      Delete
  6. Nice paint jobs, and thanks for the scale comparisons. Adeptus Titanicus just hasn't grabbed me, but killer robots for RT and Necromunda? Yes please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the scale pics help, I didn't expect them this size for a reason (too used to epic knights I guess). The modularity is pretty cool I have to say.

      Delete
  7. These are really fun figures. I like them at both 6mm and 28mm. It's a clever piece of sculpting that makes them scale non-specific. They look great in red and cream too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have picked an entirely different colour scheme and would have weathered them a bit more for 28mm scale but they do work in both scales for our purposes really.

      Delete
  8. I agree, they definitely do look the part even as 28mm robots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jacks of all trades, that's something I like.

      Delete
  9. These are so much bigger than I thought based on the initial photos and the level and quality of detail in the sculpts! I thought they would be like the initial Jes Goodwin metal Knights. The idea they're designed with modern Adeptus Titanicus in mind rather than the vintage 6mm stuff (like Lasgunpacker suggests) hadn't crossed my mind.

    They've got a distinctly movie robot vibe. One of the brilliant design ideas that Jes ploughed into the Knights and Titans was making the thighs and upper arms skeletal and spindly to emphasise the scale – and also to show the viewer that they're constructs rather than people in armour. These Robot designs eschew that – though that's not necessarily a bad thing. (Looking like a dude in a rubber costume stomping on a cardboard city is great vibe to evoke.)

    You've done a lovely job painting these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Jes' designs clearly are robotic. Those do have the same vibe but with a guy in costume twist that really does appeal.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...