Sunday 23 September 2018

Khârn the betrayer - KILL ! MAIM ! BURN !


Hey there, like I said a little while back, the hobby sometimes comes with some form of self inflicted pressure and with the end of summer, real life comes back in the way, energy levels start to get lower and you end up setting impossible goals like paiting a 11 man gang for Necromunda and 7 models for Strontium Dogs in a month... Stupid I know but as I felt things were getting a bit out of control, I decided to give myself a break... by painting something else !
Now for some reason, a guy posting his unpainted 2nd ed Khârn has ignited an odd fire in my heart...
I used a lunchbreak to check his Background, got my codices out and had an immediate crush for the guy !



Reading through all the editions, it was fun seeing how Khârn evolved with a WS varying from 7 to 9, Strength from 4 to 6 (7 with weapon), Wounds from 3 to 6 and so on !
But The rules are just an added layer on top of the character, the model and the story are what fuels my imagination.

If I can believe online information, Khârn might be the oldest marine/human walking ! Born somewhere between Siberia and Russia, he's probably the closest thing to the Kurgan in 40k !


Now painting wise, red is of course hard to avoid/resist, there could be plenty of ways to do him justice but for once I decided to go mainstream and have fun with red ! (Did I tell you I love painting red ? So I got my usual suite out !


 Now I wanted to emulate the freehand on his "horns" but that seemed too fancy to me, I thought about something more graphical but wasn't pleased with any design in the end.
(fun fact, the new studio paintjob is just the old one painted over with a bit of PS work...)



Now please pardon being captain Obvious here but throughout all these years (I bought the model the month it was released) it only just occured to me Khârn was noone but Lobo in Power Armour !
Totally fits with the Uralian descent, the muscled arm with chains and meat hook !


Now of course you can trust Jes Goodwin and Mark Gibbons on character design I guess !


Although I started painting his armour as clean as I could, I decided he had to be weathered and battleworn. Like olways I might have gone a bit heavy handed, ruining part of the neat job I had done before. I enjoyed the process though.



So that's 2 of the 2nd ed Chaos characters done now (I don't have any more to do ^^)


I think giving a few friends to slay is the right thing to do so I'll try and have Khorn renegades in line soon enough !


Now my mojo levels are renewed, let's get painting !

37 comments:

  1. Whilst Kharn doesn't press my buttons conceptually, there's no denying that Jes' crisp clean sculpt really captures his insanity. The lovely reds you've put onto his armour are top notch. I think the weathering is spot in BTW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool thanks !
      It's funny how a few days ago, I didn't have him in mind and how he became obvious !
      Goodwin models are my happy place, I know it, and this one is especially good.

      Delete
  2. Ah my favourite Khorne poster boy painted beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's the best embodiment of the whole Khorne idea really. Thanks !

      Delete
  3. You did a nice job on him A-man. The weathering looks well judged.

    I'm not generally into Khorne stuff, but that sculpt is really exceptionally nice, and is something that I would enjoy painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Khorne can easily be dull and repetitive but for stand alone projects like that, it's great. Thanks !

      Delete
  4. Lovely job on him. I love how you worked the metals on this one particularly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I just couldn't let him have too clean an armour right ?

      Delete
  5. That's quite a crisp paintjob, I love the way it turned out. Quite a character indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your recipe for red (redcipe?)! I'm gonna get me some of that them there Rouge Brûlé. Lovely work.

    It's interesting how Kharn pulls off the power armour and naked limbs look. The earlier 1990s metal Khorne Berserkers with bare legs and feet just looked goofy and not at all cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, he was the first to make that idea work really !

      Delete
  7. Top notch! I like the weathering. I always have the same issue, "ruining" a paint job while trying to pull off an effect. You didn't ruin it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so hard not to go overboard really. One should always stop at "just a bit more and it'll be OK"

      Delete
  8. One of the things that I like most about your work is all the little touched that don't stand out, and are often easy to miss, but that subtly add character. Like the faint blue in the vein of his arm. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I often see veins being painted bright blue which seems odd ! Thanks for noticing !

      Delete
  9. Wow! Amazing paint job mate. Khârn is one of my favourite models and characters within the 40m universe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers ! There's something blunt and straightforward about that guy I just love as well !

      Delete
  10. Great work!

    Really lote that piece: concepts, sculpt and your paintjob. Top notch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, me too, and it takes painting to get to really know the model. I first painted it in 96 or something so I had forgotten plenty of the awesome little details !
      Thanks !

      Delete
  11. I can't stop staring at the vein popping out of his left arm. Very nice paint job to catch that detail (and all the other ones of course).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a matter of fact, it's sligtly more visible on the model wih the skin being a tad more in the red spectrum, I did want the vein to be visible but not bright and clearly showing through the skin. ^^
      Thanks !

      Delete
  12. He certainly looks the part. Loving those reds, you are a master at painting that colour for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm using the same recipe over and over but I enjoy the process and the result a lot so y'know... ^^
      Thanks !

      Delete
  13. Le rouge c'est la vie !!!
    Bravo pour ta peinture qui est comme à l'accoutumée excellente. Quelles teintes utilise tu pour ta peau ? J'adore le rendu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. C'est une base de cadian fleshtone avec un léger lavis d'agrax et montée à l'Ushabti puis j'ai mis des glacis bleu pour les veines et rouges pour figurer l'usure de la peau aux phalanges et autres. ^^
      Merci !

      Delete
    2. Merci pour ta réponse, à essayer !

      Delete
  14. Great work on him, particularly the reds. Such a classic miniature, for obvious reasons.

    As for oldest, I think there are a few Chaos Marines born on earth, but then you know time moves strangely in the Warp...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really not knowledgeable fluff wise so I'm just excited by the possibility of it, a few of them might be that old but that's still pretty awesome to me ^^

      Delete
  15. I've always wanted to paint both this Kharn and the Star Trek Khannnnnnnnn!. But joking aside, this is great work from you as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn, I really should have called that blogpost "The wrath of Khârn !"
      Thanks !

      Delete
  16. I really like the way you take the bright, bold colours of a Khorne model and keep them vibrant while still making them look grounded and realistic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, that's a balance I aim for, something that looks bright enough to be striking enough on a tabletop but grounded enough to be believable. Your models have that quality too amongst others actually.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...