Saturday 25 March 2017

The deepest blues are black - Inquisition hunter force

Proper zenithal underlit and desaturated group pic
So here we are, end of yet another project (so far at least). After starting painting one model at a time and then painting two at once, I've upped the game and made it to 3 models at a time !
That's probably due to the project in itself being far more fun than I expected to be...
By more fun I don't mean I didn't expect a group project with cool guys and nice model to be fun, it's just I do know my reluctance and unease with painting plastic models and I have to say these probably were the practice I needed to warm up to the exercise. There are still things about it that don't fit with my painting style but I did learn how to take a few shortcuts and avoid some boring parts while keeping a decent result.

The last 3 models were the big guys:


First one is actually the very last model I built (2 months after building the first 6 and realising I didn't want a unit with an even number of characters) and one I quickly had the vision of when I found the iconic imperial standard.
I would have loved to give him a true nemesis halberd with integrated bolter but in hindsight, I'm glad I didn't as it would have broken the balance.
Kudos to Pestilus for kindly giving me the pieces I needed along a few others !
I could or should have gone overboard with mecha dendrites coming from the robes but I wanted to keep a certain balance with the others. You might have noticed the conversion are a little more sober than what you'd find on the Grimdark scene but that's just how I roll.


Amongst the boxes we shared with the others contestants was the ogryn box and I kind of liked the idea of having a big bloke in the middle, a little dry fit test and I found the perfect head for him and an old Inquisitor scale (54mm) book was the perfect missing bit to help him drive the emperor's word into his opponent's head. Literally.


 The last model is probably the most lazy conversion of the lot since it's basicaly just a sicarian ruststalker with just an aletrnative weapon but I really liked to have a hunter running after heretics and witches with the word of the Emperor, driving them mad.


After getting critically injured, Inquisitor greyfax's will didn't let her rest... 
After getting a flask of holy water implanted into her wound on the head, she knew that to fight the perils Mankind has to face, only those with the determination to face death and come back to tell the tale could be of use to her. 
That's how she gathered all those that had looked death in the eyes and come back to serve the Emperor again. Fighting evil and death is not enough, only victory matters.

pushing it to 11
So here's the group how it started a while in early febuary :


And how it is now.


You can notice Sister Smierc had a little face skin removal in the process and that a strange Servo-cherub has appeared but the group is basically just as I imagined it. 
I had set myself the challenge to make it look grimdark enough but with a alternative touch. I'm guilty as the other guy of using red, black and cream colour scheme associated with checkers and other tropes deriving from John Blanche' style but I wanted to incorporate a colour I like and you don't see that often : blue, associated with something graphical.
I did alter my painting habits to some extent but I kept some elements I feel comfortable just to have some coherence with my other models. As much as I can enjoy looking at some of the most gritty painting styles, it's not something I'm willing to replicate myself.

I still have in the back of my head the idea to add a final guy but as said above, I don't want to end up with an even number of models in the band... (I'd remove the sword of course and tweak a few things)


What happens next is a mystery to me though !

44 comments:

  1. A beautiful mix of models that tie nicely together. The skull theme is very sober.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, the "moar skullz" is a trap I wished to avoid but on the other side, nothing says "death" as well as skulls... ^^'

      Delete
  2. Excellently conceived and executed. You've demonstrated that colours other than black, bone and red work just as well in a dirty, muted setting. The orange stripes really make everything sing. I can't work out which is my favourite... The shield on the servo cherub is brilliant, but I do have a real fondness for faceless barefooted guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blue and orange has always been a favourite combo of mine, I wanted to underline the sinister look with those colours, it's always down to contrasts in the end the way I see it.
      Glad you like those, they were a enjoyable lot. I'd say the faceless guy is my least favourite of the group, he seems too "normal" amongst his companions.

      Delete
    2. I like normal. I like understated. To paraphrase, if everyone is pumped up to the maax, the no one is ;)

      Delete
  3. This is just too good mate, I'm in awe. Nice change up in your photography too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, I got this backdrop for the more grimdark models but I'm getting fond of it, I'll print a new one and might end up making it my default background.

      Delete
  4. Super ambiance. Ca pourrait être fade vu les couleurs employées, mais absolument pas.
    C'est cohérent, le schéma se décline bien sur chaque figurine, malgré leurs styles très différents. Bien joué !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci, comme le bleu est pas mal désaturé, je me suis dit que le orange pouvait claquer un poil plus pour réveiller l'ensemble. C'est pas du fluo comme les Kouzes parceque j'ai pas les corones de tenter çà mais il y a une parenté inconsciente. ^^

      Delete
  5. Beautifully done mate, some really smart work here - the colours are superb and I just love that cyber-cherub!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers ! I can't recall seeing one before but it must have been done hundreds of time !

      Delete
  6. "Blue is the new black." ;)

    Seriously, though, this is stunning work! With the piece selection, conversion and, above all, the painting you've certainly upped your game with this project (and that's no mean feat, considering your Champions of Law warband which is a reference for me). Looking forward to whatever you have up your sleeve fur the future...

    Agree that painting plastics requires a different mindset. Personally, I dislike painting plastics but, since mid-January, I've been on a marathon/painting binge of Silver Tower set plus extras (nearly done... Hence my relative painting silence in the usual places) and have "discovered" materials and tricks that made painting plastics bearable for me as well as achieving rather acceptable results. Live and learn, I suppose...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Live and learn exactly ! I don't think I've upped the game here as some shortcuts are nothing to be proud of but I did change a few things which is good.
      Thanks mate ;)

      Delete
    2. Taking shortcuts is the name of the game when painting plastics, as far as I'm concerned. If it gets the job done and it looks good... 'nuff said.

      Delete
  7. Wonderfull my boy, as usual.... but !!!
    That final touch in shooting backgrounds makes it up, more than never.
    I bet you're getting not that far from edges now. ^^
    I definitly love the way you're getting, for sure !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you think so, I wasn't exactly sure but it seems it's a good thing so I'll keep going this way !
      Thanks mec !

      Delete
  8. You've knocked it out of the park with these! The new three are all so different, but work so well together. Love the new head for the ogryn: it really transforms the look of the figure. What body did you use for the winged guy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sir ! The servo cherub is actually a standard top for the plastic foot empire character set. a head swap and a new weapon and here he was !

      Delete
  9. I absolutely love the"angel." You have perfectly captured Inquisimunda with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, I dread to go look how many versions have been made before and how much better they are... ^^
      he's one of my favourite characters as well.
      Cheers Andrew ^^

      Delete
  10. Your a mini converting & painting machine JB :) I can't keep up with your output brother, it's just too damn often and too damn good!

    On a slightly more serious note, I think the blue colour was a clever choice to tie them all together. It's not a "recognisable" colour in GW 40K history, like Eavy Metal, so it was a wise (and effective) choice....IMHO :)

    I may have to stuff you into my carry-on luggage after BOYL JB, so I can put you to work at my painting desk :D

    Cheers mate :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not, I can asure you there's a little heart beating underneath all the talent. ^^
      Stuff me in your luggage, I wouldn't mind !

      Delete
  11. Gorgeous; and the palette is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I really want to use blue since it's a colour that seems to be neglected in this scene (John Blanche admittedly confessed not liking the colour) so my contradictory self had to use it. ^^

      Delete
  12. Tremendous. Fantastic. Terrific. C'est magnifique! Don't know what else to say to express how I do love your band here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh man that first shot is pure eye-gasm. Your work is a great inspiration to me. you know that right? Fantastic work on the newer additions too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, it's a genuine delight to see the warm response to those guys !

      Delete
  14. These are really very impressive, wonderfully conceived, and expertly executed....the painting ain't to bad either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Blue, given how these aren't in your usual area of preference, the praise is twice as sweet !

      Delete
  15. Great work, and as a band they work really well together. Hard to pick a favorite, but if I did, I guess the winged fella.

    So what is next up on the workbench? The few more members of this warband, or something gribbly for them to match up against?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, he's a fave of mine as well !
      There are plenty of things on the workbench right now, some even finished waiting to be posted here and many waiting fro that final kick. Who knows what will come next ? ^^

      Delete
  16. Awesome band ! I love the banner conversion and the ogryn is top notch ! Your blue lights are as awesome as always ! A nice change from the overwhelming and traditional red.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mec ! While not completely original, I hope they have at least a personnal touch and aren't 100% déjà-vu. ^^

      Delete
  17. Amazing work mate. Really like the new additions and the team as a whole looks kickarse. When will see them in action in a game?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erm...they're actually meant to be played in a campaign but I'm struggling to take the time for it !
      I'll try and fix that ASAP !
      Thanks !

      Delete

  18. This project really came out much better than I originally expected, its lovely.

    Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your expectations were very low but that's still a good thing !
      Thanks Paul.;)

      Delete
  19. Thats just a great set. So much creativity and the execution is really amazing. This is very inspiring. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you Sir !
      After being helped to make a list, I'll probably add that last guy I mentionned at the end so there should be more of it soon !

      Delete
  20. Once again, Asslessman, you have put us all to shame. You are truly getting better and better at this. Fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thanks ! The feedback on them has really been a great help and after looking at the army list, I'll probably need to add another guy so there is going to be a bit more of them !

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...