Saturday 20 August 2016

The doctor is in ! - Mad doctor for 40k


OK, I've been working on a project lately which has proven to take more time and energy than anticipated so I've decided to treat myself with a candy model just for fun.
See, I often read about hobby burn outs but it seems to me that generally doesn't come from a lack of pleasure more than anything. Just to break the monotony of working on many models at once, getting a stand alone out just for fun makes you complete something which is the kind of rewarding feeling that fuels me at least.

So while you'll have to wait a bit for this bigger project, here's what I decided to do.
When I painted the Colony 87 set, I tried to keep a fairly neutral style in order not to force my own interpretation too much. Many of the models gave me ideas though and one of them implied the recordist.
Amongst other things, I'd really like to have a sort of laboratory for evil doctors and mad scientists because they're one iconic opportunity to have funny (and creepy) stories ! 
That was the start to make me take the saw and modelling knife to change a few bits here and there : 

(Note the apron only cale later as after priming I realised something was missing, after that I regretted not tearing the bottom of his cloak too but I wanted a quick process)
While I was at it I decided to take some pics to use the scenery I made earlier, starting with a group shot of the recordist and his variant.


To be honest, I know I'll have to refrain myself from using too much filters and effects but this was a first for me so I tried to have fun for once ! You can pretty easily end up with black and white blurry shots which make you feel cool but which just aren't easy to read for others.


I'm really super glad of how you can quickly tell a story with only a couple of pics


Anyway, this one evening job (with an hour stolen the night before to convert the model) has been a pleasant one so I can get back to my... project. ;)

Picture kindly created by Antipixi

32 comments:

  1. Very cool JB...he does look like a creepy one. I'm stuck in a hobby painting doldrums as well. Might take your advice and change things up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've seen you were painting a full herd of termies ! Sometimes I feel the need to paint something else to paint more, a hero for an army or a quick stand alone guy just for fun, one for which you don't have to care about anything much but just for the reward of having something done.
      Hope it works for you bud.

      Delete
  2. Just excellent JB - a very effective and relatively simple conversion that completely changes the look and feel of the figure. He's gone from being a down-trodden petty functionary, to a sinister villain!

    Are you planning to convert any more figures?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Right from the start, I wanted to paint a few of them in sinister tones, maybe even more than this one. This guy is just the first step towards something really creepy. ^^
      So yes, some more conversions are planned !
      Cheers !

      Delete
  3. This make me happy, I love your Rogue Trader style!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool, and sinister! Lovely pics too. I do have one question - are those bits of terrain at an angle scratch built- or did you buy them somewhere?They look like printed card, but look good with your terrain. But I also mix up and throw in a "Candy" model when I am working on large projects. helps so much to revitalize and recharge the batteries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 2 containers are Cardboard precut scenery from Battle Systems (like the ones Blue in Vt uses) I got them in a painting competition so I only have the decoration bits, not the main structure but they do look surprisingly nice with the rest I have to say.
      Thanks bud !

      Delete
  5. Very creepy does he work in the UK health service? I agree on that a change to a single model can help stave off the doldrums. I just knocked up a couple of conversions from bits following an unconnected browse through Slaves to Darkness to avoid the doldrums while in the middle of a semi batch process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes less is more I guess !
      I didn't dare ask about former employers tbh...

      Delete
  6. He is indeed one scary looking dude.I contemplated getting extras of a few of those miniatures just to change a few up but decided I was stretching the budget enough just buying them. You're making me wish I'd gone a little further, even if it had risked some short marital ire. :"> (On the other hand . . . keeping the spouse happy is pretty important. And I do have an awful lot of very nice lead that needs paint anyway.) All that said, well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The marital issue has been solved for me without my consent but I see what you mean.
      I'll make sure to convert my doubles for you !

      Delete
  7. Very nice.

    He tells his own story, visual shorthand.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hehe, he's totally scary! Sweet work, mate!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks great, especially the lenses. I'm definitely going to take your advice and change it up a bit. I hope it will get me out of my slump.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks !
      I have the feeling we sometimes burden ourselves with high expectations and duties in our hobby and though it does help to get better at what we do, it can make the process more tiring than soothing which is counter productive. I know it works for me to just make something else with loose standards and with no implication with any other project? It just gives me the joy to have something completed.

      Delete
  10. great work, and it reminds me of a plague doctor. I like that the larger GW head actually seems to fit due to the gasmask and hood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was a concern of mine and after the painting was done, it didn't feel as odd as at first !
      Thanks a lot !

      Delete
  11. Hé mais c'est trop excellent tes mises en scène !! ^^

    La fig en elle-même est déjà magnifique mais avec les décors (excellent le mix avec les capsules de Battle Systems ^^)et les effets de lumière on s'y croirait carrément !!

    Bravo !! ^^

    Serviteur,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. J'espère que tu reconnais les Battle systems, is viennent d'un certain concours. ;)

      Merci à toi, je vais me lancer dans du décor en extérieur et compte m'inspirer de certains de ceux que tu as réalisés d'ailleurs...

      Delete
  12. Superb conversion. The (spot focus?)effect on the last shot is quite unnerving. Very creepy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, the last pic wa smade by a friend with an Iphone app, wish I had it to play around !

      Delete
  13. JB, this piece is yet another triumph. The greenstuff sculpting wins out for me though - seemless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To bo honest, it's a bit ropey in some places but he dark colour and photo angla help a lot ^^'
      Thanks a lot !

      Delete
  14. That's a lovely conversion, the hands just fit the post really well, and it's always handy to have a crazy doc about for 40k.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, I suppose we need something extra scary to frighten those servo-kids ...

      Delete
  15. Super work man and that last shot ... perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, the last one was made by a friend and it does look brilliant !

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...